U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 10:06 PM

14,828 posts, read 18,079,471 times

Advertisements

Clinton is a great value since you don’t need schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 10:42 PM

4,597 posts, read 4,420,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Clinton is a great value since you donít need schools
Looks like it has a nice little harbor, too.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:10 PM

Stylo, I was just looking at some listings in Clinton. You are right, it seems like a good value. Almost too good. Why is that? Don't get me wrong, it's nice to find a place along the shore with reasonable prices. I just wouldn't want to end up in the Connecticut equivalent of Brentwood on Long Island.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:04 AM

36 posts, read 38,668 times
Branford, hands down. I live in a shoreline town in FFld County and love it, but if I were to move farther away from NYC, it would be Branford. Awesome concerts on the green in the summer, lovely downtown with cute shops and a great dining scene, two breweries, one accessible by boat. Oh and a fabulous place to have a boat as you can easily go out cruising around the Thimble islands, fishing is fabulous bc of the islands/rocks gives lots of structure, not to count the burgeoning art scene if you like that, AND proximity to New Haven. Taxes are reasonable if you aren’t direct waterfront, and “beach block” homes can be found for under $500K. Don’t forget it’s on a train line, which is fantastic if any commuters or teens want to meet up after work/school with family out there for the weekend. I think Branford is one of the best deals going for people who want a home in a classic CT beach town.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:11 AM

36 posts, read 38,668 times
I saw someone mentioned dirty water at the beach in Branford - I disagree. That may have been an anomoly because I see people swimming all the time when we visit. Also, many neighborhoods among the waterfront have private beach associations (check out ones like along Linden Ave), so entire neighborhoods have access to the beach, along with kayak storage and little swimming docks or even diving boards off rock cliffs. I’m not sure of association fees or how exactly it works, but I’ve sure been jealous when seeing neighborhoods of people enjoying summer together like they do there (think block parties, fireworks, etc.).

Old 11-16-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
I saw someone mentioned dirty water at the beach in Branford - I disagree. That may have been an anomoly because I see people swimming all the time when we visit. Also, many neighborhoods among the waterfront have private beach associations (check out ones like along Linden Ave), so entire neighborhoods have access to the beach, along with kayak storage and little swimming docks or even diving boards off rock cliffs. I’m not sure of association fees or how exactly it works, but I’ve sure been jealous when seeing neighborhoods of people enjoying summer together like they do there (think block parties, fireworks, etc.).
I’m in a private association in Milford with beach, kayak stands, etc. and it’s cheap. 4th of July is a blast (literally). Less than $200 a year

Old 11-16-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Stylo, I was just looking at some listings in Clinton. You are right, it seems like a good value. Almost too good. Why is that? Don't get me wrong, it's nice to find a place along the shore with reasonable prices. I just wouldn't want to end up in the Connecticut equivalent of Brentwood on Long Island.
Nothing wrong with it if you pick a nice place in a nice neighborhood.

Itís defintely more working class and schools arenít great. Combine that with being further away from jobs and thatís why itís cheap.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:58 AM

15,806 posts, read 22,105,163 times
Quote:
Clinton is an amazing value for the area. We have a family home there and listed it last month. We had one offer and decided to take it off the market and keep it. Otherwise, Iíd be DMing you asking if you want to look at it.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Clinton is an amazing value for the area. We have a family home there and listed it last month. We had one offer and decided to take it off the market and keep it. Otherwise, Iíd be DMing you asking if you want to look at it.
From my research, I think you were right to keep a place there. It's mostly just a feeling on my part, but I also think Connecticut's prospects are on the rise overall. You never know, you may end up moving back.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:28 AM

15,806 posts, read 22,105,163 times
Quote:
From my research, I think you were right to keep a place there. It's mostly just a feeling on my part, but I also think Connecticut's prospects are on the rise overall. You never know, you may end up moving back.
I wonít end up moving back, and I donít think CT is really on the rise. But being a property owner in the state, I hope Iím wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or