U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 10:19 AM

1,805 posts, read 3,476,360 times

Advertisements

Old Saybrook gets my vote. I love it there. Scenic shoreline, a very nice downtown Main Street area, and lots of history. If I decide to stay in this state and every purchase a small summer cottage I will consider looking there.

If only it were affordable. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 11:56 AM

729 posts, read 1,798,520 times
Check out the Stony Creek area in Branford. Beaches and islands with reasonable housing stock. The train runs through, but probably not a big deal for most properties. I am not aware of any sources of pollution in Stony Creek.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:10 PM

237 posts, read 223,963 times
Westbrook!

Old 11-16-2018, 02:51 PM

1,777 posts, read 716,195 times
For me on the actual shore I like Eastlyme/Niantic a house on the Niantic river would be great. Waterford is a great town as well with a couple nice little town beaches. Old Saybrook is the classic town in CT for summer houses. Essex and Stonington Borough are both interesting and very pretty but tend to be expensive. With a large budget Noank would be high on the list . If being on the river interests you Lyme around Hamburg cove is awesome.

Clinton I don't know much about other then a friend lives just off Main ST and really likes it there. I also have sailed out of there a few times and the harbor is pretty nice.

Now for my Wacky suggestion. If I was looking for water views on a budget New London would be high on the list. If you don't have to worry about schools the southern end of New London is pretty awesome.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:40 PM

24,910 posts, read 40,538,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Old Saybrook gets my vote. I love it there. Scenic shoreline, a very nice downtown Main Street area, and lots of history. If I decide to stay in this state and every purchase a small summer cottage I will consider looking there.

If only it were affordable. . .
I guess it depends on your definition of affordable but I donít think of Old Saybrook as pricey. Certainly when you compare it to Fairfield Count prices. Jay

Old 11-16-2018, 04:43 PM

15,894 posts, read 22,203,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of affordable but I don’t think of Old Saybrook as pricey. Certainly when you compare it to Fairfield Count prices. Jay
True but our beach cottage in Clinton would easily be $150k-200k more in OS. Still dirt cheap in comparison to towns west.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:39 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,487,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekski View Post
Westbrook!
I was not aware of this town. What makes it special for you? I'm genuinely interested.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
For me on the actual shore I like Eastlyme/Niantic a house on the Niantic river would be great. Waterford is a great town as well with a couple nice little town beaches. Old Saybrook is the classic town in CT for summer houses. Essex and Stonington Borough are both interesting and very pretty but tend to be expensive. With a large budget Noank would be high on the list . If being on the river interests you Lyme around Hamburg cove is awesome.

Clinton I don't know much about other then a friend lives just off Main ST and really likes it there. I also have sailed out of there a few times and the harbor is pretty nice.

Now for my Wacky suggestion. If I was looking for water views on a budget New London would be high on the list. If you don't have to worry about schools the southern end of New London is pretty awesome.
Waterford is another town I wasn't aware of. The Lymes, Saybrook, Niantic, those are the "names" that come to mind when thinking shoreline (after Mystic and Stonington). Essex, too. Noank I know only because of the sign on 1-95 going north years ago.

New London is probably out because of my sis, she witnessed a very sad incident there while waiting for the ferry to Block Island a couple of years ago and it really shook her up. For me, it's the Kelo Vs. New London eminent domain case that leaves a bad taste in my mouth for owning property in that area. What ever happened after Kelo? Last I heard Pfizer pulled out and it's just empty, run down space now. I guess that big office campus/mall never materialized.

Yep, that harbor at Clinton would be a very attractive feature for us.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
True but our beach cottage in Clinton would easily be $150k-200k more in OS. Still dirt cheap in comparison to towns west.
Sounds like Clinton is something of a sleeper.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of affordable but I donít think of Old Saybrook as pricey. Certainly when you compare it to Fairfield Count prices. Jay
I follow a real estate blog that deals with Fairfield County. I gather that higher end properties are dropping like rocks, while the "lower end" (below 2 million) is bidding up. True?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or