U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 01:56 PM

1,789 posts, read 717,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Waterford is another town I wasn't aware of. The Lymes, Saybrook, Niantic, those are the "names" that come to mind when thinking shoreline (after Mystic and Stonington). Essex, too. Noank I know only because of the sign on 1-95 going north years ago.

New London is probably out because of my sis, she witnessed a very sad incident there while waiting for the ferry to Block Island a couple of years ago and it really shook her up. For me, it's the Kelo Vs. New London eminent domain case that leaves a bad taste in my mouth for owning property in that area. What ever happened after Kelo? Last I heard Pfizer pulled out and it's just empty, run down space now. I guess that big office campus/mall never materialized.

Yep, that harbor at Clinton would be a very attractive feature for us.
If your looking to keep a boat in town Mystic Noank Westbrook East Lyme and Clinton might go a bit higher on the list good harbor facilities. Waterford also has a boat launch and marinas along the Niantic river.

Pfizer left, Electric boat took over their building and has a large workforce there but the Kelo area is still just bare dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 04:00 PM

4,688 posts, read 4,493,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
If your looking to keep a boat in town Mystic Noank Westbrook East Lyme and Clinton might go a bit higher on the list good harbor facilities. Waterford also has a boat launch and marinas along the Niantic river.

Pfizer left, Electric boat took over their building and has a large workforce there but the Kelo area is still just bare dirt.
Thanks so much, East. Good harbor facilities are important. So, Clinton, Westbrook, East Lyme. Noank sounds like it might be a tad on the expensive side.

That is sad about Kelo. Should never have happened.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:43 AM

6 posts, read 851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think it is south of the Parkway actually. I know someone that builds $1 million tear downs in Fairfield that are selling as fast as he can build them. He mostly builds in Lake Hills or Fairfield Woods and that is north of I-95. These are in established neighborhoods near Black Rock Turnpike where lots are smaller (1/2 acre or less). It seems to be those bigger homes on bigger lots (over an acre) that struggle more to sell but even there, if the homes are in good condition and well priced, they will sell.

As far as reaching $2 million, again you have to be giving them a top product in a top location. That may be happening in places like Southport, Greens Farms, Longshore, Saugatuck or southern Darien and Greenwich. Maybe even Shippan in Stamford. Jay
I totally agree with you sir
You can reach $ 2 million or more up to $ 5 million, especially in Darien and Greenwich. Perhaps and especially especially in Stamford it's the big success
best regards,

Old 12-10-2018, 01:16 AM

6 posts, read 851 times
Quote:

i agreed with you sir thank you

Old 12-10-2018, 09:17 AM

14,870 posts, read 18,186,178 times
Quote:
Thanks so much, East. Good harbor facilities are important. So, Clinton, Westbrook, East Lyme. Noank sounds like it might be a tad on the expensive side.

That is sad about Kelo. Should never have happened.
Milford has a good harbor too, but might be pricier than points east. I hear Spencerís has reasonable prices though.

A friend keeps their boat in Westbrook.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:05 AM

11,868 posts, read 6,141,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Milford has a good harbor too, but might be pricier than points east. I hear Spencerís has reasonable prices though.

A friend keeps their boat in Westbrook.

For sailing, Stonington is pretty attractive since you're beyond The Race with Block Island and the Long Island ports like Montauk and Sag Harbor an easy sail. Newport won't kill you. It's a long day but you could make Cuttyhunk.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
For sailing, Stonington is pretty attractive since you're beyond The Race with Block Island and the Long Island ports like Montauk and Sag Harbor an easy sail. Newport won't kill you. It's a long day but you could make Cuttyhunk.
Stonington is nice but Dockage and Moorings are a bit hard to come by or at least used to be. If you like that area I would look at keeping the boat up the river in Westerly or Mystic. We used to keep a Boat in Noank and neighbors had one in Westerly both were good options quick sail to Block or a long day to Cutty Hunk etc. In fact we once made a very long sail and made it to the Vineyard from Noank in a day. We have kept a boat in New London and the CT river as well. If your under power CT river is great but for sailing I like being at least to Niantic or further east.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:15 PM

4,688 posts, read 4,493,163 times
Quote:
Stonington is nice but Dockage and Moorings are a bit hard to come by or at least used to be. If you like that area I would look at keeping the boat up the river in Westerly or Mystic. We used to keep a Boat in Noank and neighbors had one in Westerly both were good options quick sail to Block or a long day to Cutty Hunk etc. In fact we once made a very long sail and made it to the Vineyard from Noank in a day. We have kept a boat in New London and the CT river as well. If your under power CT river is great but for sailing I like being at least to Niantic or further east.
We like to sail, so I'll keep that in mind. I do like Westerly as I am a lot more familiar with it than I am with much of the CT shoreline area north of Stamford, that's why I've been asking about the shoreline towns. Niantic sounds like a good spot.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
We like to sail, so I'll keep that in mind. I do like Westerly as I am a lot more familiar with it than I am with much of the CT shoreline area north of Stamford, that's why I've been asking about the shoreline towns. Niantic sounds like a good spot.
Westbrook Clinton and Guilford all have great Harbors but in my opinion sailing gets better further east. That said there is lots of Sailing further in the Sound too. There is a great sailing focused Yacht Club in Niantic, also Thames in New London and Shenncossett in Groton. If you find a nice house in Waterford for instance the Clubs in Niantic and New London are a quick drive away.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:06 AM

24,925 posts, read 40,552,592 times
Quote:
Westbrook Clinton and Guilford all have great Harbors but in my opinion sailing gets better further east. That said there is lots of Sailing further in the Sound too. There is a great sailing focused Yacht Club in Niantic, also Thames in New London and Shenncossett in Groton. If you find a nice house in Waterford for instance the Clubs in Niantic and New London are a quick drive away.
My friend who is not a sailor, raves about sailing on Hamburg Cove in Lyme. I have never done it but the cove is beautiful and would think is a great calmer alternative to the more open waters of Long Island Sound or the ocean. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or