Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 06:24 PM

717 posts, read 452,994 times

Advertisements

They have been in operation for a decade and everything fell apart when they opened a second store in the wrong location over an expansion attempt gone sour.

They had the tastiest smoothies, banana bread, pumpkin brownies, s’mores cupcakes to name a few.

There will never be another store like it and it means the loss of the most popular celiac disease place to eat and the only one north of I84 east of the river...now there’s none
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 01:34 PM

468 posts, read 523,975 times
This is a real loss... it's my impression that most of the pizza places that serve gluten-free pizza in this area were using Nature's Grocer crusts.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:00 PM

331 posts, read 207,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
They have been in operation for a decade and everything fell apart when they opened a second store in the wrong location over an expansion attempt gone sour.

They had the tastiest smoothies, banana bread, pumpkin brownies, s’mores cupcakes to name a few.

There will never be another store like it and it means the loss of the most popular celiac disease place to eat and the only one north of I84 east of the river...now there’s none
You can go to most targets and they carry gluten free everything. It’s hard to stay competitive.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
You can go to most targets and they carry gluten free everything. It’s hard to stay competitive.
Not fresh ready to eat from organic local supply

Old 11-30-2018, 07:59 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
Yeah, but frozen Udi's pizza "crust" and "bread" is no substitute for something that tastes good. I do think Nature's Grocer overextended themselves, sadly.

Pure Love in Avon is worth the trip across the river if you haven't already checked it out. They also distribute on a limited basis - I get their bread and other baked goods at New Morning Market.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:06 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
I have Crohn's so I eat gluten free. I know how hard it could be to find good and healthy gluten free products. I found pizza dough at whole foods.

https://www.instacart.com/whole-food...za-dough-14-oz
https://www.instacart.com/whole-food...za-dough-16-oz

I think after Christmas I am going to treat myself to a bread maker so I can make gluten free low carb (or paleo) dough for English muffins and pizza dough. That would be healthier. I will let you know how my experiments come out.

My brother lives in Newtown and on holidays my sister-in-law always brings cookies and pastries from a bakery (I think it's a bakery). Maybe it is this one. I will find out where it is on Christmas eve.
https://www.findmeglutenfree.com/biz...oasis/12785220

Old 11-30-2018, 05:51 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Glastonbury had a bakery on Hebron Ave but I think it's gone. Now there is Dee's Smart Cookie

I'd like to hear your successes with English muffins! I have a bread maker that I've never used. Would be a great winter project.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:32 PM

696 posts, read 703,619 times
Dee's in Glastonbury has moved to New London Turnpike and has really yummy treats. My husband also needs can't eat eggs or nuts and finds plenty of choices there. He works in Avon and loves the English muffins he gets from Pure Love.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:08 PM

Nature’s Grocer had these items in tasty gluten free:
Soups:
Vegetable minestrone soup
Lentil veggie soup
Black bean soup
Cauliflower soup
Split pea soup
African peanut soup
Cabbage soup
Chicken and Rice soup

Wraps like
Hummus and veggie
Grilled chicken
Tuna salad
Egg salad
A wrap of the day
Cuban pressed sandwiches freshly heated

Homemade vegan waffles

Cupcakes: S’mores, Samoan, vanilla/chocolate, pumpkin

The dark chocolate/pumpkin gluten free brownies were a real treat

Smoothies:
Almond milk, spinach, strawberry, banana, pumpkin
Smoothie of the week each week

Gluten free Turkish figs, apricots
Dark chocolate almonds

And a whole bunch of other things.
But the cafe items I mentioned are what no Target could ever provide as these involved a local chef, Baker, and preparer using local suppliers and made the same day. Whole Foods might have some common local suppliers but this was a single family-owned gluten-free foodmaker

Old 12-04-2018, 01:37 AM

18 posts, read 19,626 times
Wow. What a shame. I moved to CT almost 3 years ago and I have enjoyed Natures Grocer in Vernon. I am really going to miss the place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut