Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 03:04 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
I couldn't believe this when I heard it on the news. Parents going to school at lunchtime? How long has this been going on? It didn't happen when I was in school, and I never heard of it happening when my kids were in school.
I think this is isolated to a few towns and its on the extreme end of the spectrum. We have plenty of snowplow parents in Wilton (they push obstacles out of their child's way, like a snowplow) but no one is let into the cafeteria at lunch time to visit with their kids. Although this article may end up giving the snowplows some ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 03:25 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is true. Ask any educator and they will tell you that this is the major problem with failing schools. Jay
A friend of mine went from East Hartford to Darien as an educator. He said while Darien parents are demanding and some are downright difficult to deal with, what he witnessed in East Hartford was sad. A lot of parents who barely have a presence in their kid’s lives because of their own selfishness and immaturity, nevermind caring about their education. Someone here called Darien parents idiots? Nah - the above are the real idiots.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:40 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
A friend of mine went from East Hartford to Darien as an educator. He said while Darien parents are demanding and some are downright difficult to deal with, what he witnessed in East Hartford was sad. A lot of parents who barely have a presence in their kid’s lives because of their own selfishness and immaturity, nevermind caring about their education. Someone here called Darien parents idiots? Nah - the above are the real idiots.
Or maybe there's some happy medium between neglecting children entirely, and smothering them.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:58 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
You know, I was going to disagree, but then remembered that it's difficult to swim in a gorgeous olympic sized pool because so many moms from the low income apartments send their kids down to swim all day long. Alone. Every day. And they are so obnoxious that an adult can't get a lap swim in. So that does qualify as selfish and immature and I'm sure it falls into every other part of their lives.

Whatever your friend saw in East Hartford is going to be even worse in the cities. (Hartford, Waterbury etc)

But I'm not giving Darien a pass on the idiot status either - like Frostnip says, there's a happy medium and neither of these parents are providing it.

How is the kid going to learn to get along with others when mommy is there every day to run interference for him?

Old 11-29-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Or maybe there's some happy medium between neglecting children entirely, and smothering them.
You’re missing my point. I’m not suggesting being a helicopter parent is advantageous. I’m saying there are far bigger things to worry about when it comes to public education in this country. Parents who care too much is not one of them.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:25 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
You’re missing my point. I’m not suggesting being a helicopter parent is advantageous. I’m saying there are far bigger things to worry about when it comes to public education in this country. Parents who care too much is not one of them.
"Caring too much" isn't the same thing as being a helicopter. One's an emotion, the other is an action.

Both under-involvement and over-involvement can be damaging. Kids require a degree of autonomy for their psychological and social development.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:07 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
I have two family members that teach in Bridgeport’s inner city schools. They would have Parents Night where literally one parent would show up. It may have been because the parent did not care but many of the parents must work multiple jobs to make ends meet or don’t have child care. Also one would call the parents about their kids failing and the parents would literally say “What the f*** do you want me to do about it?” This happened multiple times every year. I am not sure they even know how to educate their child which is really sad and downright scary. Jay

Old 11-29-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
"Caring too much" isn't the same thing as being a helicopter. One's an emotion, the other is an action.

Both under-involvement and over-involvement can be damaging. Kids require a degree of autonomy for their psychological and social development.
If you’re suggesting being over involved is as bad as being under involved, then there’s a serious flaw in your argument.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:11 AM

281 posts, read 345,032 times
Quote:
I have two family members that teach in Bridgeport’s inner city schools. They would have Parents Night where literally one parent would show up. It may have been because the parent did not care but many of the parents must work multiple jobs to make ends meet or don’t have child care. Also one would call the parents about their kids failing and the parents would literally say “What the f*** do you want me to do about it?” This happened multiple times every year. I am not sure they even know how to educate their child which is really sad and downright scary. Jay
My wife has worked in Bridgeport schools and has experienced much the same. This is part of why I think giving all the blame or credit to particular school-systems is unfair (and why just throwing more money into them might not help). The students and the parents have some responsibility and there's not a lot that can be done when they don't give a damn.

Quote:
Someone here called Darien parents idiots? Nah - the above are the real idiots.
Both can be true. If people think millennials or whatever generation are snowflakes...

Last edited by Neil Watkins; 11-30-2018 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: Fixed language

Old 11-30-2018, 06:50 AM

167 posts, read 175,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've never heard of parents showing up at a school to eat lunch with their kids.

How bizarre. These mothers "bursting into tears" over the new rule? Are you kidding me? They don't sound mature enough to be mothers.
FFC is its own strange, strange bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut