U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 07:15 AM

729 posts, read 1,801,081 times

Advertisements

I would say Cheshire, Middlefield, Durham, Wallingford, and Southington are good for your criteria. All of these towns except Wallingford are kind of sleepy. They are all safe.

North Haven might be 30 minutes to Hartford with no traffic, but there will definitely be bad traffic. It is not close enough to Hartford for your husband's commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 07:28 AM

65 posts, read 22,172 times
A Southington resident here - it's a great town. About 20 miles to Hartford and 27 or so to New Haven. Of course it varies depending on which part of town you live in. Two separate highways (i84 & i91) run right through, it's a commuters dream. 2 downtown areas there's the smaller Plantsville section and the town center near the green. Tons of restaurants , bars and shopping all over. A great town for kids also. There are so many parks,sports programs and whole lot of other activities. The YMCA is located downtown and holds a lot of events. There's not a whole lot of open land left but there is enough and off the top of my head I can think of 4 places to go hiking not including the walking trail that runs through town. There's a great sense of community, you'll always find haters wherever you go, but a majority of residents seem proud to live here. With your budget you'll find a beautiful place to rent.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 987 times
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses! We will definitely be adding Southington and Middlefield to our search and perhaps focusing more on Wallingford. Public school quality is less of an issue because our little one won't be old enough to start school while we're living there, but thanks to those who pointed out daycare access as something to consider. We'll be relying on family to help with childcare for the first few months but will definitely eventually need to add daycare dropoff to our daily routine.

Any thoughts on how soon is too soon to start reaching out to specific rentals? Is 3-4 months before move-in ok?

Old 12-02-2018, 11:09 AM

24,964 posts, read 40,607,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne2019 View Post
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses! We will definitely be adding Southington and Middlefield to our search and perhaps focusing more on Wallingford. Public school quality is less of an issue because our little one won't be old enough to start school while we're living there, but thanks to those who pointed out daycare access as something to consider. We'll be relying on family to help with childcare for the first few months but will definitely eventually need to add daycare dropoff to our daily routine.

Any thoughts on how soon is too soon to start reaching out to specific rentals? Is 3-4 months before move-in ok?
Since you have child care covered by family intially, you might want to look where they live and the convenience for them to get to your new home. Then consider places for child care near your home and job. The logistics will mean a lot later on. Jay

Old 12-02-2018, 11:17 AM

24,964 posts, read 40,607,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
I would say Cheshire, Middlefield, Durham, Wallingford, and Southington are good for your criteria. All of these towns except Wallingford are kind of sleepy. They are all safe.

North Haven might be 30 minutes to Hartford with no traffic, but there will definitely be bad traffic. It is not close enough to Hartford for your husband's commute.
According to CERC, Hartford is the fifth place for North Haven residents to work after New Haven, North Haven itself, Hamden and Wallingford. That means a lot of North Haven residents commute to Hartford every day. No reason the OP's husband could not be one of them. Wallingford has a similar ranking of residents that work in Hartford so either town are options. Jay

Old 12-02-2018, 11:19 AM

1,665 posts, read 834,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Since you have child care covered by family intially, you might want to look where they live and the convenience for them to get to your new home. Then consider places for child care near your home and job. The logistics will mean a lot later on. Jay

Didn't realize you had family in the area.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Sri

213 posts, read 332,760 times
Doing a quick search on the rentals currently available, I think you should focus your search Cheshire & Wallingford.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:17 PM

729 posts, read 1,801,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
... a lot of North Haven residents commute to Hartford every day. No reason the OP's husband could not be one of them.

When I said North Haven was longer than 30 minutes with traffic, and therefore too far, I was responding to the OP's statement below. I am sure there are many people who do that commute, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne2019 View Post
... he will be working in Hartford. We are hoping to live somewhere in between and keep our commutes within 30 minutes each. If needed, I could do up to a 50 min commute (which I am used to doing now), but his job is less flexible.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Didn't realize you had family in the area.

No family in the area, unless you count two who are still students at Yale; both sides of the family live out-of-state, non-driving distance. But we'll have alternating family members (mostly my mother) staying with us long-term. Hence the need for at least 1 guest room.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:34 PM

354 posts, read 266,990 times
We live in Cheshire and moved to this town because of our jobs and schools being our priority..I was working in Hartford and my wife in New Haven. It used to take me about 35 minutes to reach Hartford, this could be 30 minutes if I leave before 7:15 and can be about 45 minutes if I leave after 8:15 AM upto 9:15 AM. My wife drives to Yale hospital and it takes her 25 minutes when she starts around 8 AM. The only downside I feel is that it takes about 8-9 minutes to reach the highway (included in the total time mentioned before),..at first it used to pinch me but later we got used to it.
Cheshire is a very nice town, quiet and safe. People are very friendly. You can get small houses, condos or even bigger houses for rent here. In fact, we are moving next year due to our Job relocations and we were also contemplating whether we should sell our house or rent it. You will get good options in varied budgets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or