U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2018, 07:03 AM
 
729 posts, read 1,800,416 times
Reputation: 394

Advertisements

Hi All,

I saw it mentioned in another thread that "CT state troopers don’t have jurisdiction to be in MA on any detail (same with NY)."

This reminded me I wanted to ask how the interstate highways are policed at the borders. I have seen, *numerous* times, non-police vehicles stopped on the side of I-395 highway at the MA/CT line, between the last exit in MA (Webster) and the first exit in CT (Thompson). It has happened often enough that I got to wondering if this is some kind of illegal activity, e.g., drug trade. But I haven't witnessed any transactions personally -- only people parked on the side of the highway, sometimes with their hood propped open, sometimes outside the car, sometimes just a vehicle sitting there.

Are CT state troopers allowed to routinely (without an active reason) cross into MA and then drive back into CT from the 1st entrance in MA? Do they? Same with MA troopers with respect to driving into CT.

There is probably a "turn-around" point just near the border, where police can cross over the highway median, but I am thinking that is just used for speeding traps coming into the state and maybe the very rare "vehicular pursuit" scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2018, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,949 posts, read 40,588,046 times
Reputation: 7139
State police are allowed to go into an adjacent state to turn around. There are turn-around areas in the median on most highways, particularly those with greater distances between exits. The State Police can cover the highway right up to the state border but not into the adjacent state. Then again if a vehicle is traveling into the adjacent state from Connecticut, they can follow the vehicle into the state to follow through on something that happened in Connecticut. I do believe they have to notify that State's police though and depending on the situation, may be joined by that state's police. I have no idea why you see vehicles stopped at the state border so often. I have not noticed this happening but I am not at the border often. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,911 posts, read 22,231,291 times
Reputation: 5350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
State police are allowed to go into an adjacent state to turn around. There are turn-around areas in the median on most highways, particularly those with greater distances between exits. The State Police can cover the highway right up to the state border but not into the adjacent state. Then again if a vehicle is traveling into the adjacent state from Connecticut, they can follow the vehicle into the state to follow through on something that happened in Connecticut. I do believe they have to notify that State's police though and depending on the situation, may be joined by that state's police. I have no idea why you see vehicles stopped at the state border so often. I have not noticed this happening but I am not at the border often. Jay
This is true. If a crime or violation is committed in CT, fresh pursuit case law says an agency can cross jurisdiction lines to effect a traffic stop or arrest as long as they had an unbroken sight of the vehicle or person. Notifying the neighboring agency that youíre in their jurisdiction isnít necessary for a traffic stop but is a courtesy for a major operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 02:52 PM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
899 posts, read 694,936 times
Reputation: 299
I-684 often comes up with this one. Roughly a mile of it runs through Greenwich, between Exits 2 and 3 (neither exit starts or ends in CT). I'm told that New York's DOT maintains that road like the rest of I-684. Connecticut would be involved if it were, say, a murder investigation. Not sure about a traffic infraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,911 posts, read 22,231,291 times
Reputation: 5350
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
I-684 often comes up with this one. Roughly a mile of it runs through Greenwich, between Exits 2 and 3 (neither exit starts or ends in CT). I'm told that New York's DOT maintains that road like the rest of I-684. Connecticut would be involved if it were, say, a murder investigation. Not sure about a traffic infraction.
If the violation occurred in that stretch of highway that dips into CT, NY state police do not have jurisdiction to stop that vehicle. CT troopers do, but they do not patrol that stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Central CT
21 posts, read 3,817 times
Reputation: 31
Ahhh, the "Welcoming Committee". Many is the time I've crossed the state line on I-84 and in the turnaround, which is pretty much on the state line, and seen 2 cruisers "mating" with a MA trooper facing eastbound and a CT trooper facing westbound.


While I'm at it, there's another curious situation of jurisdiction for emergency services: Fishers Island, NY. The island is part of the town of Southold, the most notable part of which is Orient Point. However, it is only 2 miles offshore from Groton. Although Groton is closer, it must rely on NY State Police and Southold local emergency services. To get there, services have to either use private watercraft, or use the ferry service to New London from Orient, then transfer to the Fishers Island ferry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
899 posts, read 694,936 times
Reputation: 299
I think NY has a tiny marine border with RI. Not sure if it's with Block Island (town of New Shoreham) or the southern reaches of Westerly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM
 
3,730 posts, read 1,921,729 times
Reputation: 3966
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
I think NY has a tiny marine border with RI. Not sure if it's with Block Island (town of New Shoreham) or the southern reaches of Westerly.
There is a maritime border between the two - 14 miles separates Block Island from Montauk Point.

It's one of three places in the US where states share a water border but not a land one. The others are Michigan and Minnesota by 15 miles and Kentucky and Missouri with a varying distance determined by the Mississippi River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:04 AM
 
Location: Midtown
1,335 posts, read 785,830 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
There is a maritime border between the two - 14 miles separates Block Island from Montauk Point.

It's one of three places in the US where states share a water border but not a land one. The others are Michigan and Minnesota by 15 miles and Kentucky and Missouri with a varying distance determined by the Mississippi River.

I wonder what part of Vermont shares a land border with New Hampshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:38 AM
 
3,730 posts, read 1,921,729 times
Reputation: 3966
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I wonder what part of Vermont shares a land border with New Hampshire.
Pittsburgh, NH shares a land border with Vermont per the town website:

Customs and Border Protection

The Connecticut Lakes that form the beginning of the CT river are in Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top