U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 11:59 PM

3,146 posts, read 1,246,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachment 205638
Those words, are well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:24 AM

2,225 posts, read 2,945,078 times
We are retired and moved TO Connecticut. Pausing for the laughter. We chose south central CT River valley area. Our 390K house/acreage is roughly taxed at 8K. Except for Alaska (where we lived for 35 years) taxes are inevitable.

We moved to CT from a "low" tax state but not really. There our 300K house/acreage taxed out at 5K and they had their hand out for everything else too. Where our CT township comprehensive recycling and waste center sticker cost $75 for a year, that would be 3 regular dump runs in our former state. When people can't afford the fees they tend to drive to vacant land and dump it or leave it festering in back yards. It's burdensome on rural property owners and is a source of rodent infestations in denser populated areas. Our former state was in the top three for obsolete bridges, many roads were falling apart, half or more of the rural roads were gravel/dirt, their snow removal plan was "let it melt" except for major highways, schools were stripped and struggling. Same for small hospitals. Our sales taxes were higher in our city/county and groceries/medication were taxed at the full rate.

Car insurance is more here, taxes roughly the same, but home insurance was a blessed savings relief for better coverage.

The entirety of New England fits within the eastern half of my former state and yet feels more rural. Everything is close. The beach, mountains, big interesting cities with lots of history and lots to do all in a day or weekend trip away. I'd rather pay a little more and get a lot more in return. I love it here.

Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 134 times
Personally, I find the Republican plan to be more of the same old thing. Our transportation infrastructure is falling apart and there is a strong need to do something bold to fix things. State Senator Fasano's statements on Federal funding and that you can only do "one project" at a time on I-95 show he knows very little about transportation projects. Right now there are several projects going on along the highway including the Q Bridge, the West River Bridge, the Moses Wheeler Bridge and the operational lane project near Route 7 in Norwalk. In the past they rebuilt I-95 in Bridgeport when projects were going on in Darien and Stamford. I also like how former CTDOT Commissioner and Deputy Secretary of Transportation at the USDOT, Emil Frankel, told him his assumptions on Federal money increasing were not the best assumption to make.
[url=https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flyer-templates-for-word-by-ca/id1356103253]brochure maker[/url]

Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM

492 posts, read 264,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I also relocated to VA from CT and have a lot more cash in my pocket monthly. I do miss some things about CT, but certainly not enough to move back. If the cost was more reasonable (and politics not so wacky), CT would be paradise.
I also moved from NY to Virginia and the cost savings were huge. We have a new nicer and newer house in VA for half the price of our NY house, taxes are 75% less, utilities are less expensive and the same auto insurance is exactly half the price of what we paid in NY. There is no comparison.

Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM

222 posts, read 61,759 times
Sounds good for you. I looked at Virginia , and a friend of mine did move there a few years ago.
I don't need a new house, I like mine just fine. If I saved 75 % in taxes, that would mean $ 200.00 a month. Less expensive utilities are irrelevant without considering the footprint and construction of the house, along with related appliances and equipment. For example, central air vs single units. My car insurance is less than $ 1000 a year.
So far, that means a savings for me a total of $ 300.00 a month for the above.

I live in an extremely safe quiet neighborhood, 10 grocery stores with 10 minutes. 10 minutes to Massachusetts and all that it brings value wise. I am a healthy person, but my Health care services are local, high quality and abundant. I am 5 minutes from a working dairy farm for fresh milk and milk products. 15 minutes to Hartford and all that it offers. In season, there are a dozen local farm stands within a half hour for the highest quality products.

A strong consideration to moving to save a few dollars is having to replicate all the things that make where I live valuable. I choose not to attempt it , because I know and appreciate the value that I currently have.

Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM

1,658 posts, read 827,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish49872 View Post
Are there any property tax breaks? What am I not seeing? ...
If forgot to mention this in my last post. There is senior tax property relief in some towns. I would go on that towns particular website you are interested in to see the particulars.
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/rpt/2012-R-0222.htm

The list above is a little old so really do your research. I am looking to retire to either Branford, Guilford or Madison. I will probably end up in Branford but Madison is a strong contender due to it's great beaches and senior tax property relief. I think it is one of the best in the state for senior tax relief.

https://www.madisonct.org/851/Tax-Relief-Programs
https://library.municode.com/ct/madi...TAREPRCEELDIHO

There is also senior tax relief from the state. The town programs "piggy back" on that.
https://www.ct.gov/opm/cwp/view.asp?a=2985&q=383136

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,195,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
We are retired and moved TO Connecticut. Pausing for the laughter. We chose south central CT River valley area. Our 390K house/acreage is roughly taxed at 8K. Except for Alaska (where we lived for 35 years) taxes are inevitable.

We moved to CT from a "low" tax state but not really. There our 300K house/acreage taxed out at 5K and they had their hand out for everything else too. Where our CT township comprehensive recycling and waste center sticker cost $75 for a year, that would be 3 regular dump runs in our former state. When people can't afford the fees they tend to drive to vacant land and dump it or leave it festering in back yards. It's burdensome on rural property owners and is a source of rodent infestations in denser populated areas. Our former state was in the top three for obsolete bridges, many roads were falling apart, half or more of the rural roads were gravel/dirt, their snow removal plan was "let it melt" except for major highways, schools were stripped and struggling. Same for small hospitals. Our sales taxes were higher in our city/county and groceries/medication were taxed at the full rate.

Car insurance is more here, taxes roughly the same, but home insurance was a blessed savings relief for better coverage.

The entirety of New England fits within the eastern half of my former state and yet feels more rural. Everything is close. The beach, mountains, big interesting cities with lots of history and lots to do all in a day or weekend trip away. I'd rather pay a little more and get a lot more in return. I love it here.
You too, over time, will tire of paying ridiculously high taxes on virtually every product/service or necessity of life in CT. Itís a beautiful state, but you will be relentlessly nickel and dimed until you give up like all these others have. To state contrary is naive and pollyanna at best. Unless youíre loaded with cash, then it doesnít really matter.

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

228 posts, read 184,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post

I guess you don't miss your dividend check from the Alaska Permanent Fund ha?

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

2,394 posts, read 6,135,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
If forgot to mention this in my last post. There is senior tax property relief in some towns. I would go on that towns particular website you are interested in to see the particulars.
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/rpt/2012-R-0222.htm

The list above is a little old so really do your research. I am looking to retire to either Branford, Guilford or Madison. I will probably end up in Branford but Madison is a strong contender due to it's great beaches and senior tax property relief. I think it is one of the best in the state for senior tax relief.

https://www.madisonct.org/851/Tax-Relief-Programs
https://library.municode.com/ct/madi...TAREPRCEELDIHO

There is also senior tax relief from the state. The town programs "piggy back" on that.
State did not fund senior tax break,not available for Enfield,been notified.
My 99 Tacoma taxed at $150.No concern for taxpayers.

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

1,658 posts, read 827,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
State did not fund senior tax break,not available for Enfield,been notified.
My 99 Tacoma taxed at $150.No concern for taxpayers.

"The amount of the credit that may be granted is up to $1,250 for married couples and $1,000 for single persons. Credit amounts are based on a graduated income scale."

I just called the number above at the state of CT to see if the senior tax relief program still exists. If it is on the website I think it would be. I will let you know when they call me back.

It could be that the state made the income requirement higher and you went over the limit. The state program is a global program no matter what town or city you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or