Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 10:36 AM

34,682 posts, read 56,465,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshaw130 View Post
A starter home in CT for $100,000 is going to be falling to pieces. I have looked at many homes and know many people who are in trades, and I also know people who do real estate and home renovating for a living so I have learned quite a bit over the past few years but also have the ability to take them with me which helps as well.

In means of wanting to be near specific areas or certain towns in the state I tend to stick to town like where I grew up in Somers. I like the small town feel and am not a huge people person. I work as a 911 Public Safety Dispatcher and I can tell you with what I deal with on a daily basis you wont see me go anywhere near towns like Hartford, Manchester, East Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven, Waterbury, Middletown, New Britain...I can tell you where I work Hartford, East Hartford, New Britain, and Manchester are the worst and most dangerous towns where the shootings, stabbings, stolen cars, home invasions/robberies, etc never end.

I have been attempting to move out of CT for many years. What I can do in the law enforcement field is much more minimal here versus out west or down south. The taxes, the cost of living, the people, and the government/politics here all make me resent this state. I will never be happy in a place like this, good job or not. Everyone has there opinions but this place is not for me.

Appreciate the suggestions on towns in the state to look into. Happy Holidays!

I really hate to tell you but a $100,000 single family home in a safe neighborhood does not exist in any major city or town that would pay you $50,000+ per year for a dispatcher job. Places that have $100,000 single family homes are cheap for a reason and that is because the pay levels are SIGNIFICANTLY lower, particularly when it comes to public service employees. Before you burn your bridges here, be sure you know what you are doing and are certain that you can find a job for the pay that will give you what you want.

I also must question your contention that some of the towns/cities are unsafe. Of course major cities like Hartford, Bridgeport, Waterbury and New Haven have a lot of crime. They are major cities that are the dense urban core of large metropolitan areas. This is not unusual. As I said I am in East Hartford and Manchester all the time and NEVER feel unsafe. I also am in Middletown and New Britain quite a bit and also never feel unsafe. I also know people that live in these towns and they have never had issues. These towns are all kind of large and have diverse populations. Manchester is a major regional shopping center. Of course these towns have more crime than a town like Somers: more people = more crime. That is simple math.

It seems to me that you are judging communities based on what you grew up with in Somers which is fine. Most people though would not agree with that point of view. Again, you really need to make a decision on where you will settle for a significant length of time before buying. Jay
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut