U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 11:21 AM

1,793 posts, read 721,242 times

Advertisements

Brookings just released some information on the concentration of tech jobs over the last 7 years.
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...ic-phenomenon/

I downloaded the data and have the CT takeaways Should note this is digital services so some tech jobs are not counted.

Hartford Metro has the most digital service jobs vs New haven and Bridgeport Stamford
New Haven has seen the most growth since 2015 but Hartford has seen the most growth since 2010.
The way Brookings ranking works this placed New Haven at #27 out of 100 Hartford at 92 and Bridgeport Stamford at #75. Looks like Hartford was dinged for losing jobs in the last 2 years despite previous growth.

All the CT metro lost ground on the percentage of national digital employment from 2010 to 2017. The only NE city to see growth in the sector (in National market share) was Boston. NY actually lost some but thanks to recent Amazon and Google announcements that seems likely to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:05 PM

11,940 posts, read 6,171,087 times
The way Brookings counts it, Hartford is only 12,000 tech jobs. The major centers are all above 100K. At those low numbers, small changes aren't statistically significant. Adding 167 jobs in Fresno to make the top-10 is really lousy methodology that provides no useful information. The Bay Area added 10% of all the tech jobs Brookings is counting.

Quote:
The upshot: “Winner-take-most” in tech seems more the rule than the hoped-for “rise of the rest.”

When I look at tech, I look at venture capital. California is 10x everybody else. New York and Boston are #2 and #2A swapping positions frequently. Behind those, you have Seattle, Austin, Raleigh-Durham-RTP. Brookings seems to be lumping in vanilla IT with tech jobs that create intellectual property. Brookings is also neglecting a huge chunk of tech that isn't digital services. Biotech, for example.

Old Today, 01:26 PM

14,875 posts, read 18,202,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The way Brookings counts it, Hartford is only 12,000 tech jobs. The major centers are all above 100K. At those low numbers, small changes aren't statistically significant. Adding 167 jobs in Fresno to make the top-10 is really lousy methodology that provides no useful information. The Bay Area added 10% of all the tech jobs Brookings is counting.

When I look at tech, I look at venture capital. California is 10x everybody else. New York and Boston are #2 and #2A swapping positions frequently. Behind those, you have Seattle, Austin, Raleigh-Durham-RTP. Brookings seems to be lumping in vanilla IT with tech jobs that create intellectual property. Brookings is also neglecting a huge chunk of tech that isn't digital services. Biotech, for example.
Hmm, I always perceived Boston/Cambridge as a solid 3rd place.

Old Today, 03:31 PM

1,793 posts, read 721,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Yeah I found the numbers more interesting then the results they came up with. Thous their results seem to mirror other studies showing higher tech jobs migrating toward large Urban Metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or