U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 578 times

Advertisements

Sorry to add another one of these threads, but a lot of the ones I saw were for more the Stamford/White Plains area and I wanted some info for the comparison further north.

I grew up in Fairfield/Easton and my husband grew up in New Fairfield. We've spent the last five years in Beacon Falls (and hated it) and just moved to Manchester a few months ago and have really enjoyed it - found a great apartment that's cheaper than our place in Beacon Falls was, and it's been nice to be close to everything.

As luck would have it, my husband got a job offer we can't pass up. And it's in Dover Plains, NY. So not only am I looking at packing up our entire 2bed/2bath apartment that we JUST finished unpacking, and trying to wiggle our way out of this lease, we are now faced with the NY vs CT discourse. We are not sure if we will be buying or renting - if we end up renting it will be for a year and then we will want to buy.

My husband works 12+ hour shifts on a rotating Days/Nights schedule, so a 30/40min commute is a hard maximum. I have a part-time retail gig, and I'm not super worried about finding something immediately after we move.

I know taxes in NY and CT are high and fairly comparable, but I'm just not sure if it makes more sense to look in Dover Plains/surrounding Dutchess County areas, or if we should stick to CT border towns (Kent, New Milford, Sherman, etc)

We are trying to get pregnant after a miscarriage this fall, so schools are definitely a concern in the near future, as well as the fact that we have a dog and a cat and so many apartments don't allow pets. For rent our budget is approx 1450 and we prefer 2bd/2br, and for houses we'd be looking at under 250k. Yes I realize this would probably be a small/starter home and/or a fixer upper in any of these areas. Any insight would be great!

PS. I know I said being close to everything in Manchester is nice, but having spent 5+ years in Easton I'm also totally fine with being 30/40min from big box stores/chains/etc.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by manchestermove; 12-26-2018 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 05:31 PM

6,870 posts, read 9,518,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchestermove View Post
Sorry to add another one of these threads, but a lot of the ones I saw were for more the Stamford/White Plains area and I wanted some info for the comparison further north.

I grew up in Fairfield/Easton and my husband grew up in New Fairfield. We've spent the last five years in Beacon Falls (and hated it) and just moved to Manchester a few months ago and have really enjoyed it - found a great apartment that's cheaper than our place in Beacon Falls was, and it's been nice to be close to everything.

As luck would have it, my husband got a job offer we can't pass up. And it's in Dover Plains, NY. So not only am I looking at packing up our entire 2bed/2bath apartment that we JUST finished unpacking, and trying to wiggle our way out of this lease, we are now faced with the NY vs CT discourse. We are not sure if we will be buying or renting - if we end up renting it will be for a year and then we will want to buy.

My husband works 12+ hour shifts on a rotating Days/Nights schedule, so a 30/40min commute is a hard maximum. I have a part-time retail gig, and I'm not super worried about finding something immediately after we move.

I know taxes in NY and CT are high and fairly comparable, but I'm just not sure if it makes more sense to look in Dover Plains/surrounding Dutchess County areas, or if we should stick to CT border towns (Kent, New Milford, Sherman, etc)

We are trying to get pregnant after a miscarriage this fall, so schools are definitely a concern in the near future, as well as the fact that we have a dog and a cat and so many apartments don't allow pets. For rent our budget is approx 1450 and we prefer 2bd/2br, and for houses we'd be looking at under 250k. Yes I realize this would probably be a small/starter home and/or a fixer upper in any of these areas. Any insight would be great!

PS. I know I said being close to everything in Manchester is nice, but having spent 5+ years in Easton I'm also totally fine with being 30/40min from big box stores/chains/etc.

Thanks so much!
I am not sure about the cost of living and tax difference between the states. However, I am slightly concerned about the commute.

While the commute looks easy on the map (the Town of Dover borders the Connecticut towns you mention) it might be different in real life. This is because if you live in New Milford, you will probably be taking Rte. 7 over to Ct 55 and then NY 55. Rte. 55 in both states looks like a very pretty road but it is only one land in each direction. Might be a tough commute in bad weather. And there are very few alternative roads (one of them is a covered bridge further up by Bulls Bridge).

I suggest you guys take a day and see what the morning and afternoon commutes are like along 7 and 55.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:35 PM

24,991 posts, read 40,662,994 times
I would rent until you get to know the area and are sure that the job is long term.

I always recommend living as close to your job as possible so I would say start in Dover Plains. You should post over on the New York forum for other suggestions. You could live in Kent which is a beautiful town in Connecticut. It is about 11 miles away but I am not sure how many rentals there are there. It is a small town and nothing like Manchester. You could also consider New Milford which is about 20 miles away. There is more in New Milford but still not as much as Manchester.

To live in a town in Connecticut more the size of Manchester, you would have to live in Danbury but it is 30 miles from Dover Plain. There likely are towns in New York so ask over on that forum. Jay

Old 12-26-2018, 05:52 PM

14,879 posts, read 18,246,741 times
Hate to say it, but if you were bored in Beacon Falls you’ll probably be even more bored in that general area. New Milford would be the closest thing to a full fledged town with conveniences in that area. It has a nice downtown and plenty of shopping on Route 7.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:52 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,341,378 times
Could take a look at Pawling / Patterson area.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:09 PM

3 posts, read 578 times
I posted a similar thread on the NY forum, thanks for the suggestion!

My husband has to start this job way before we'll reasonably be able to move so he'll stay with his parents in New Fairfield during the week for the foreseeable future so I think that will give him a good idea of the commute situation.

Additionally, we didn't hate Beacon Falls because it was boring, we hated it because it was just so... I don't know. Run down? All the bad things people say about 'the valley' really showed themselves.

I totally get that we're looking at living in a less populated area with less conveniences and I'm on board with it. I'm mostly concerned with COL/schools tbh.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:18 PM

2,680 posts, read 2,216,834 times
Dover lacks some basic amenities that you may find hard to live without especially if you’re planning for a family in the near future , namely there is not a supermarket in town In fact the nearest ones would be Hanaford’s on Route 22 in Pawling; or Fresh Town in Amenia - a 20 minute drive in either direction. If you do look into Dover, I would focus on the Wingdale section of town (southern part of town - putting you closer to Pawling)). I live in New Fairfield and from my house to Dover Plains is a 30 minute drive and the easiest/fastest route is actually up route 37 thru Sherman to 39 in Sherman, cut across Anderson Road to 55 across Cricket Hill. And if your husbands job is going to be at Cricket Valley, he’ll be right there - Cricket Hill brings you right to the entrance of the plant. Sherman would be a very easy commute, though your budget to buy will be difficult — you will get more for your money in New Milford than Sherman
For the NY towns I’d search out Wingdale first, also Pawling though it will be pricier. Add Patterson to your list too. Also Amenia

Last edited by Lalalally; 12-26-2018 at 08:52 PM..

Old 12-26-2018, 11:00 PM

1,303 posts, read 981,986 times
New Milford.

In NY you're going to run into affordability challenges outside of Dover/Wingdale, and you would be driving to either Brewster/Patterson or CT for everything anyway since that part of Dutchess County is very geographically isolated from the more populous areas near the Hudson. (The trip over Wingdale mountain to Poughkeepsie is a hike and not a particularly fun one either)

Also, not for nothing, but Dover and Beacon Falls are very similar.

Your budget will get you a 2br rental in NM for now, and either a condo or a ranch home down the line.

Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM

15,920 posts, read 22,270,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Hate to say it, but if you were bored in Beacon Falls youíll probably be even more bored in that general area. New Milford would be the closest thing to a full fledged town with conveniences in that area. It has a nice downtown and plenty of shopping on Route 7.
I agree with this. While Beacon Falls itself can be boring, itís at least very close to a lot of other things to do. That area of New York is even more boring. Iíd suggest renting in New Milford and decide where you want to go from there.

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

2,753 posts, read 2,533,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
New Milford.

In NY you're going to run into affordability challenges outside of Dover/Wingdale, and you would be driving to either Brewster/Patterson or CT for everything anyway since that part of Dutchess County is very geographically isolated from the more populous areas near the Hudson. (The trip over Wingdale mountain to Poughkeepsie is a hike and not a particularly fun one either)

Also, not for nothing, but Dover and Beacon Falls are very similar.

Your budget will get you a 2br rental in NM for now, and either a condo or a ranch home down the line.
Agreed. If the OP didn't like Beacon Falls, they will hate Dover. Its probably the most run down town in the area.

I drive through the area quite a bit and have never had problems with congestion or traffic. In all but the worst of weather, things seem to move pretty well. Frankly, inclement weather is less of a traffic issue in sparsely populated areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut