Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 06:20 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times

Advertisements

Not surprising. No amount of tax money that state Democrats get is ever enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 06:40 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
If all the proposed taxes in CT weren’t so disturbing, it would be comical at this point.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:08 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Another thing to tax Connecticut families isn't sitting well with some pet owners.The bill would make people register their pet cats.

https://www.wfsb.com/news/hearing-to...c9bed718f.html

Too funny, my cat doesn't even have a job. How is she going to pay this ? Back to the coal mines for her I guess.
Register our CATS? Most cats never leave the house, they don't need licenses or id's. That is really being intrusive--do we register pet birds, tropical fish? For the fish, does each individual fish get a license?

Old 03-15-2019, 08:56 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Register our CATS? Most cats never leave the house, they don't need licenses or id's. That is really being intrusive--do we register pet birds, tropical fish? For the fish, does each individual fish get a license?
I definitely think fish should be registered! Do farm animals get registered?

How about socks? I think there are more socks than cats. That may help the state.

Who writes this crap? "They're in public a lot more, you know more interactions with dogs and dog parks, things like that. Cats are more either indoor or if you have them outdoors, they keep to themselves," said Alex Lucci, Pet Supplies Plus.

"A lot of people you know really love their cats, want to make sure their cats have everything they need. All the vet bills and shots, and everything taken care of," Lucci said."

This poor guy gets interviewed and his quotes have nothing to do with registering cats. "Cats are more either indoor" - what does that even mean? Whatever happened to reporters actually writing sensibly?

Old 03-16-2019, 04:46 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:

Eric the fish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSyBb33ElFg

Old 03-16-2019, 08:04 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
Quote:
Theoretically, yes. The proposed bill (link posted below) includes cats and other domestic animals. So if you were to purchase a rabbit, or hampster, or guinnea pig, seems like they would have to be licensed as well. I wonder how small the license tag for a pet hampster would have to be to fit on their tiny necks. Hmmm lol and Unreal.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2019/TOB/s/pd...999-R00-SB.PDF

Old 03-16-2019, 02:53 PM

898 posts, read 597,322 times
Still your savior? and why?

Old 03-18-2019, 05:00 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
In MA the toll numbers add up to where yes even after infrastructure out of staters put some in the pool. But like 80% of revenue (once you subtract operating expenses from out of state revenue) comes from in state. Essentially you have created a large inefficient tax on your own residents to capture a tiny bit of out of state revenue. The real reasons tolls are popular is that it allows government to create a tax they don't have to call a tax.
I am not sure if people realize taxes can affect them both directly but also indirectly as well.

For instance, here on Long Island where the school taxes are very high, you are not just paying the school tax you see on your own bill. Every time you go into a store, a Home Depot, a Stop N Shop, a restaurant, the auto mechanic, a gas station, the mall, etc. you are paying part of their school tax bill in the form of higher prices because they are passing onto the consumers.

There is no free lunch. People - non truck drivers - say lets raise tolls on trucks. Easy to say tax someone else. But trucks are not traveling around for free or for the hell of it. They are delivering inventory to local stores and businesses. And in order to remain profitable, they are going to pass some or possibly all of the costs of the tolls onto their customers.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:35 PM

36 posts, read 31,087 times
Your savior is a liar. In my naive high school years I was influenced to vote democrat by the school system. Now that I see the constant nonsense going about on the left I have flipped the other way.

I am a bit partial with the tolls. It would be great revenue to collect from out of state drivers but most of the revenue will be collected from in state commuters. Lamont mentions discounts for residents but who knows?
As for businesses passing on the costs, I would hope they write off the toll charges along with their travel expenses. That's what I would do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 03-19-2019, 06:41 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuietGuy View Post
Your savior is a liar. In my naive high school years I was influenced to vote democrat by the school system. Now that I see the constant nonsense going about on the left I have flipped the other way.

I am a bit partial with the tolls. It would be great revenue to collect from out of state drivers but most of the revenue will be collected from in state commuters. Lamont mentions discounts for residents but who knows?
As for businesses passing on the costs, I would hope they write off the toll charges along with their travel expenses. That's what I would do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IMO the passing on the costs factor might be overblown.

$5 toll on $500,000 worth of cargo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut