U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 01:15 AM

17,409 posts, read 6,584,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Your memory is bad. Malloy issued lay off notices to 10k state employees, followed thru with **** canning 2,800. .
Should have followed through with the full quantity of layoffs for 6 months (meaning, at minimum, 10k unemployed 6 full months). Then he would get a better deal for the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 06:42 AM

8,903 posts, read 14,457,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's quite sad that some people view SNAP recipients as "freeloaders." SNAP serves a very important purpose; a safety net to prevent hunger and many people truly NEED it. You can't just look at those who are abusing it and assume that ALL recipients are abusing it. I like to ask....when was the last time you saw an honest person using their SNAP benefits? Huh?

Not to mention, welfare spending is a VERY small portion of the state and federal budgets. Even if they were abolished, it wouldn't do much to resolve the budget problems.

Living in a red state isn't all its cracked up to be. I live in one now. Wages are LOW. Rents are not any cheaper. There are more poor people and poverty, crime and schools are much worse overall. Obesity is higher. No income tax? Big deal. If 5% of your income is so critical to have, then fine, move to a no income tax state.

I still like Florida though and do not plan to move back to CT ever. I am thrilled that tomorrow will be 75 degrees and sunny. And six months out of the year, it's under 80 degrees. In fact, here in Jacksonville, even in the summer, it's usually under 90.

I am glad you finally found happiness and stability. I consider Florida to be a weird case in terms of "red vs. blue". Your part is most certainly "red" but the southern half (third?) is mostly "blue". Maybe the only true "purple" state in the nation which has caused a lot of problems for it.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:46 AM

16,026 posts, read 22,400,770 times
Quote:
It's quite sad that some people view SNAP recipients as "freeloaders." SNAP serves a very important purpose; a safety net to prevent hunger and many people truly NEED it. You can't just look at those who are abusing it and assume that ALL recipients are abusing it. I like to ask....when was the last time you saw an honest person using their SNAP benefits? Huh?

Not to mention, welfare spending is a VERY small portion of the state and federal budgets. Even if they were abolished, it wouldn't do much to resolve the budget problems.

Living in a red state isn't all its cracked up to be. I live in one now. Wages are LOW. Rents are not any cheaper. There are more poor people and poverty, crime and schools are much worse overall. Obesity is higher. No income tax? Big deal. If 5% of your income is so critical to have, then fine, move to a no income tax state.

I still like Florida though and do not plan to move back to CT ever. I am thrilled that tomorrow will be 75 degrees and sunny. And six months out of the year, it's under 80 degrees. In fact, here in Jacksonville, even in the summer, it's usually under 90.
I’m not sure I’d call FL a red state through and through. This past election was so close and FL has gone blue many times. The Miami/Fort Lauderdale metro, which is very liberal, usually carries the state. Now that they’ve given convicted felons back their right to vote, you’ll see FL go blue almost every single election going forward. This will effectively make FL a solid blue state, IMO.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:40 AM

12,320 posts, read 6,417,490 times
Quote:

Money spent on poor people is a huge fraction of state spending in affluent urban blue states. About 25% of the state budget goes to Medicaid/CHIP kid Medicaid. Another ~15% goes to prop up K-12 in the failed cities. Cash welfare is usually less than 2% of the state budget but by the time you add up all the money spent on poor people, it's more than half the state budget.

At the Federal level, if you count the gap between Social Security payments and Medicare spending to low income people and their inflation-adjusted lifetime contributions, you get an enormous amount of spending on low income people at the Federal level, too.

I'm fine with the progressive nature of all of this but if you went full-on Libertarian and zeroed out all progressive social spending, you'd easily cut taxes in half.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’m not sure I’d call FL a red state through and through. This past election was so close and FL has gone blue many times. The Miami/Fort Lauderdale metro, which is very liberal, usually carries the state. Now that they’ve given convicted felons back their right to vote, you’ll see FL go blue almost every single election going forward. This will effectively make FL a solid blue state, IMO.

Few will vote. 80% will be back in jail, again and again, as they commit new felonies.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Few will vote. 80% will be back in jail, again and again, as they commit new felonies.
If even 20% vote, they’ll be well over the number the democrats need to make the state blue.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:38 PM

14,965 posts, read 18,380,945 times
Quote:
If even 20% vote, they’ll be well over the number the democrats need to make the state blue.
I read 1.5 million Floridians are former felons. Is that accurate? That's like 7%+ of the total population. Insane.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I read 1.5 million Floridians are former felons. Is that accurate? That's like 7%+ of the total population. Insane.
It’s correct, but you also have to consider what constitutes a felony in many states is barely a misdemeanor in others. FL is notably tough on crime (as are states like AZ, TX), all of which have a high number of convicted felons. The states least tough on crime (CT, NY, CA) are also the states with the lowest rates of convicted felons. The numbers really mean nothing since the laws and sentencing aren’t the same across the board.

That said, yeah, it’s going to make a HUGE difference in FL’s political climate since statistically, convicts tend to vote Democrat. Like I said above, I don’t see FL ever going red again.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:25 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,507,869 times
Quote:
There's an old saying, the further north you go in Florida, the more in the south you are.

If you look at the Florida electoral map by county, almost all of the key Democratic strongholds are in Miami-Dade, Orlando and Broward Counties.

For a state that just re-elected a Republican governor, I was kind of surprised to see such a large % of the citizens vote in favor of restoring voting rights for felons. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see it passed, but Florida is the state that so often determines our national elections, and as you said and I agree, this may turn Florida blue, which could then turn America blue. Might not happen overnight, but I agree it will soon.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
True

I figure 75% will mostly be in jail, rest of their life, after committing more felonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut