U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 03:06 PM

736 posts, read 1,812,480 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

Sorry if it was covered already in the thread, I didn't see it. Did Lamont give a timeframe for deploying toll collection?

I am assuming it would be done the same way as the Mass Pike (transponders, or license plate snapshots)... i.e., no tokens.

Thanks,
N
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 05:35 PM

25,187 posts, read 40,914,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Hey folks,

Sorry if it was covered already in the thread, I didn't see it. Did Lamont give a timeframe for deploying toll collection?

I am assuming it would be done the same way as the Mass Pike (transponders, or license plate snapshots)... i.e., no tokens.

Thanks,
N
There is no timeframe for implementing tolls. The exact program has to be identified and approved by the legislature. You are correct though that it will likely be open road tolling like the Mass Pike. Jay

Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

25,187 posts, read 40,914,014 times
So it appears Governor Lamont is considering adding a tax on groceries like they have in other states. In the past, this has been considered a no starter since groceries are a necessity. I doubt this will go anywhere but I would be strongly against it. Taxing necessities is reprehensible and should be off limits. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2019/01/28/with...ing-groceries/

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

1,840 posts, read 3,508,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So it appears Governor Lamont is considering adding a tax on groceries like they have in other states. In the past, this has been considered a no starter since groceries are a necessity. I doubt this will go anywhere but I would be strongly against it. Taxing necessities is reprehensible and should be off limits. Jay

That's why we should get rid of the tax on clothes. You can thank Dannell for revoking the tax-exemption for clothing under $50 which we used to have.

Is there ANYTHING the Democrats of this state don't want to tax? I think people in this state need to come to terms with the fact that there's a recurring problem with CT Democrats: They don't believe you should be allowed to keep any of your money, they believe anytime anyone has a lot of money it's through ill-gotten means, and they feel perfectly entitled to tax everything under the sun, even though this has proven time and again not to work. Lamont played the card that he would make our state more fiscally sound and yet he wants to raid our wallets just like the last albatross at the helm. God, what a douche.

Last edited by MikefromCT; Yesterday at 10:41 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

2,774 posts, read 2,556,988 times
Quote:

The state already taxes plenty of necessities - gasoline, electricity, phone service to name a few. Broadening the sales tax base by removing exemptions while lowering the overall rate makes sense to me.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

2,525 posts, read 2,480,578 times
So far the options Lamont and company are proposing will cost me roughly an extra $500/yr. not a lot of money but still when wages haven’t risen and bonuses are lower it eats into my savings and ultimately my spending power.

Hopefully none of these will go anywhere.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

16,038 posts, read 22,405,243 times
Quote:

This does not surprise me one bit and is precisely why I have a very hard time supporting the Democratic Party.

Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,220,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
That's why we should get rid of the tax on clothes. You can thank Dannell for revoking the tax-exemption for clothing under $50 which we used to have.

Is there ANYTHING the Democrats of this state don't want to tax? I think people in this state need to come to terms with the fact that there's a recurring problem with CT Democrats: They don't believe you should be allowed to keep any of your money, they believe anytime anyone has a lot of money it's through ill-gotten means, and they feel perfectly entitled to tax everything under the sun, even though this has proven time and again not to work. Lamont played the card that he would make our state more fiscally sound and yet he wants to raid our wallets just like the last albatross at the helm. God, what a douche.
Careful, the thought police will be knocking on your door if you donít tow the line! Itís really no surprise; they need every dollar of revenue they can get to keep the inner city voting base happy. Since the middle class is streaming out of CT, this is priority 1. Next is a tax on the air you breathe, trust me itís coming....

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

1,840 posts, read 3,508,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
So far the options Lamont and company are proposing will cost me roughly an extra $500/yr. not a lot of money but still when wages haven’t risen and bonuses are lower it eats into my savings and ultimately my spending power.

Hopefully none of these will go anywhere.
A valid point, but remember, our elected officials either don't understand this concept, or they simply don't care. Their primary concern is pretending it's the 1960s and committing themselves to social justice, identity politics, and just about every PC issue under the sun. I love how we still have Democratic politicians who love boasting their support for marriage equality and LGBT rights when that's already over and done with. Their rights are here, they are secure, and they're not going anywhere (nor should they). I can't think of single Republican in this state who's looking to rescind their rights. That would be like me running for president in 1984 and saying "I'm against the Vietnam War!"

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

10,618 posts, read 7,649,478 times
Quote:

Ned Malloy 2.0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut