U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 01:11 PM

1,858 posts, read 788,094 times

Advertisements

Still say from a pure economic point of view this makes sense but politically it's suicide to go this route. They would be better off offering a bonus transfer of money from the state to municipalities that decide to merge on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 01:44 PM

25,486 posts, read 41,338,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I just saw this today and it sums up what is going on in this state perfectly.

Joe Reardon, superintendent of the tiny district of Union, said Wednesday “when it comes to regionalism and making cooperative efforts, we would love to have the scrutiny of state.”.............Reardon suggested that instead the governor look at consolidating staff in his own office or in other departments such as the state Department of Motor Vehicles...............
“They are chasing a mouse when they come after us,” Reardon said, “and an elephant is running all around the room.”
https://ctmirror.org/2019/02/20/lamo...jXl1A-rRpQgieE
Interestingly Lamont is doing that. He has asked a number of top managers to submit their resignation and they will decide who stays and who goes. Jay

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...d2y-story.html

Old 02-23-2019, 06:53 AM

1,846 posts, read 935,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Interestingly Lamont is doing that. He has asked a number of top managers to submit their resignation and they will decide who stays and who goes. Jay

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...d2y-story.html
I think he is referring to the elephant in the room as all the CT state workers (an over abundance of them) and their salaries/benefits.....not necessarily the CT management staff although every little but helps.

I can't read the story above so I am not sure how many in the CT management workforce will lose their jobs.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:46 AM

1,846 posts, read 935,235 times
My First Selectwoman Tesoro is on it. She already wrote a letter to the state.
News Feed

First Selectman Asks Top State Officials to Explain Reduction in Trumbull’s Education Aid

On Thursday, February 21, 2019, First Selectman Vicki Tesoro asked Governor Ned Lamont, Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz, and State Treasurer Shawn Wooden to explain why statutory education aid to Trumbull would be cut by more than half a million dollars in the governor’s proposed budget. In an email exchange that followed a meeting with Lt. Governor Bysiewicz, Tesoro noted that Trumbull’s share of the Education Cost Sharing allocation would be reduced by $655,538, a 24% reduction from last year. At the same time, the overall statewide reduction in ECS funding would be only about 1.2%. Other towns in Fairfield County would see either slight decreases or even increases in some cases.

“Based on my initial review, it appears that Trumbull was disproportionately impacted,” Tesoro said in the email. “I realize we all have to do our fair share to help our state return to sound fiscal footing, however the burden should be fairly apportioned.” Tesoro also noted that many towns in Trumbull’s District Reference Group—a state classification system that groups school districts based on socioeconomic status, need, and enrollment—are not hit as hard as Trumbull would be in Lamont’s proposal.

Lamont submitted his proposed budget to the state legislature on Wednesday. The $43 billion, two-year proposal also calls for towns to take on a portion of teacher-retirement costs, something the state has long funded alone. Trumbull’s share of that cost would be about $511,000 in the 2019-2020 state budget. Combined, the loss of ECS revenue and the expense of the teacher-retirement contribution proposal would have a $1.2 million impact on the town’s 2019-2020 budget. “This is a significant new burden for our taxpayers,” Tesoro said.

I knew Trumbull was getting hit harder than almost any other town. Jay, your First Selectman should write letter too. Do you see what I put in bold. That is exactly what I posted in #165 that shows Trumbull and Glastonbury are getting hit way harder than the wealthy towns in CT. Your town is in the "B" DRG like Trumbull.
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/SDE/Gr...ndxa.pdf?la=en

This also proves my other point. Who the hell in the state government made this ECS formula if our towns are so negatively impacted while wealthier towns are not. My First Selectwoman wants the explanation. I hope we get it.

Last edited by CTartist; 02-23-2019 at 07:56 AM..

Old 02-23-2019, 07:49 AM

25,486 posts, read 41,338,613 times
This opinion piece in CT Mirror by Toni Boucher says it all. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/category/ct-vie...74812-68207705

Old 02-23-2019, 08:06 PM

3,663 posts, read 2,876,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This opinion piece in CT Mirror by Toni Boucher says it all. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/category/ct-vie...74812-68207705

How many more ways can people say "we don't want our kids going to school with kids from the ghetto"

I think Toni just gave us the number 5 reason.

This is too funny. I bet Malloy looks real good now.

Remember no more complaining about taxes either.

You want your separate systems you have to pay for them.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:40 PM

2,914 posts, read 3,053,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
How many more ways can people say "we don't want our kids going to school with kids from the ghetto"

I think Toni just gave us the number 5 reason.

This is too funny. I bet Malloy looks real good now.

Remember no more complaining about taxes either.

You want your separate systems you have to pay for them.
I already am paying for it - and unfortunately also subsidizing the mismanaged cities as well. Stop baiting as well - I want my kids in school with families that value education as much as we do. That’s all. You post as if you don’t have kids - is that a correct read? I’m still waiting on an intelligent response to how this actually saves money. The politicians have been very transparent that it doesn’t. So why move ahead?

Old 02-24-2019, 09:44 AM

3,663 posts, read 2,876,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I already am paying for it - and unfortunately also subsidizing the mismanaged cities as well. Stop baiting as well - I want my kids in school with families that value education as much as we do. That’s all. You post as if you don’t have kids - is that a correct read? I’m still waiting on an intelligent response to how this actually saves money. The politicians have been very transparent that it doesn’t. So why move ahead?

Reason #6. What makes you think families from the ghetto don't value education. Everyone can't afford to live in Wilton.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:55 AM

16,197 posts, read 22,631,705 times
Quote:
Reason #6. What makes you think families from the ghetto don't value education. Everyone can't afford to live in Wilton.
Go to parent-teacher conferences in Hartford and Glastonbury and report back with the massive difference in parent attendance.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:29 AM

2,914 posts, read 3,053,938 times
Quote:
We already know that since we spend more in the cities on education relative to the bedroom communities all in. It’s not a money issue! Do you have any children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or