Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 10:51 AM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Go to parent-teacher conferences in Hartford and Glastonbury and report back with the massive difference in parent attendance.
Exactly. I know several teachers in inner city schools and they ALL say that the parent involvement is woefully inadequate in cities. They say that they are lucky they get one or two parents to come in. When they try calling the parent about a problem, if they are able to get in touch with the parent , the response is "What the f*** do you want me to do about it?" I am not exaggerating at all. This is the real reason urban schools are failing but people and politicians so not want to admit or acknowledge this. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 12:18 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Exactly. I know several teachers in inner city schools and they ALL say that the parent involvement is woefully inadequate in cities. They say that they are lucky they get one or two parents to come in. When they try calling the parent about a problem, if they are able to get in touch with the parent , the response is "What the f*** do you want me to do about it?" I am not exaggerating at all. This is the real reason urban schools are failing but people and politicians so not want to admit or acknowledge this. Jay
A very good friend of mine teaches in an urban southwestern CT school district and says the exact same thing. After previously teaching in Newtown she said the difference is staggering and sad. You’re right when you say the politicians completely ignore it.

The reality is that yes, people in suburban CT districts do value education more overall than people in urban CT districts. A lot of people don’t want to hear that, but it’s the truth.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:00 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
A very good friend of mine teaches in an urban southwestern CT school district and says the exact same thing. After previously teaching in Newtown she said the difference is staggering and sad. You’re right when you say the politicians completely ignore it.

The reality is that yes, people in suburban CT districts do value education more overall than people in urban CT districts. A lot of people don’t want to hear that, but it’s the truth.
Exactly. Just like they don’t like hearing that the problem can’t be solved. Jay

Old 02-25-2019, 05:46 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
The first letter I posted from my First Selectwoman Tesoro in Trumbull was involving the funds/money. Now this most recent letter is directly talking about forced school regionalization. And she is a Democrat. Good for her for not toeing the party line and taking a stand for her constituents.

First Selectman Tesoro's Statement on Three Bills concerning Regionalization of Schools in CT
News Feed

"February 25, 2019 - I have reviewed the three Bills concerning regionalization of schools in Connecticut and, as First Selectman of Trumbull, I am troubled by the concept of “forced” regionalization. While the concept may have some benefit in the areas of purchasing and energy, it makes little sense to compel districts to give up their autonomy in the areas of education that impact instruction and curriculum.

In Trumbull, our school system is critical to our identity as a community. Our investment in education is one that our community embraces and the success of our students is a matter of civic pride. Our strong school system supports our property values and attracts new residents to our community, bringing to us a steady stream of new ideas and energy.

While our community has divergent points of view on some issues, we are united in our desire to preserve our right to create the school system that suits the needs of our community. The success of our school system speaks for itself. Please do not fix something that is not broken............."

Bravo to my First Selectwoman.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:07 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
CTArtist,

I don't think your First Selectwoman was bucking the party line, like I said this was a shot across the bow to the towns and responses like that are going to be an albatross later on.

With all the suburban leaders bucking this idea the GA can go "hey, we tried to lower property taxes but the town administrators gave us no choice" and then stop the state being the backstop of the Teacher's Pension Fund, cutting town aid, putting a large stick in the form of regionalisation with the smaller carrot of aid, among other things the state has up it's sleeve.

If I were in the administrations I'd just give a boiler plate "We're reviewing the ongoing nature of vague plans within the GA and working to make our views on the best way to move forward to the GA."

I don't like it, but this is certainly a way for the General Assembly to scale back involvement with political cover, if need be.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:55 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
On a side note this weekend I was talking with current and former school administrators from a couple Eastern CT towns (for an organization a relative is involved with). Apparently something that has been discussed on the state and regional level to deal with the school inequality law suit that ran for over a decade, was to simply close poorly performing city schools and redistribute the kids to the suburbs. I gather this has actually been done on the city wide level to some extent where the worst performing schools get closed and the students sent to other schools in the city.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:11 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Exactly. Just like they don’t like hearing that the problem can’t be solved. Jay

This is SJW America. The SJWs can't accept that social-economic problems can't be solved by simply raising taxes and throwing more money.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:28 PM

377 posts, read 240,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
This is SJW America. The SJWs can't accept that social-economic problems can't be solved by simply raising taxes and throwing more money.
They are reluctant to try and solve the problems because their ideology and policies have enabled and exasperated them.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Thankfully Westport has 5,500 students although I highly doubt either bill gets through the door.
Beerisgood, CERC says your town only has 27,000 residents and predicts there will only be 24,500 in 2020. This is CT....you should take this seriously.

My town of Trumbull has 36,500 residents and we are putting in a bunch of new apartment buildings. We will be close to the 40,000 and our school enrollment of 6,740 will go up. Even with all that we in Trumbull are all taking this very seriously including my First Selectwoman Vickie Tesoro.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:12 AM

Lamont pledges his school regionalization plan is all about carrots, not sticks
https://www.ctpost.com/local/article...v3ZRBYrb3WnUdY

So my First Selectwoman was in in a meeting with Lamont........

Trumbull First Selectman Vicki A. Tesoro said she got a similar pledge when she told the governor about combined Education Cost Sharing formula cuts and new pension costs that would cause a $1.2 million hit to Trumbull’s budget. “He listened and said he would get back to me,” Tesoro said.

Yeah sure he'll get back to her lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut