Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 10:16 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times

Advertisements

Here is another post I saw on Facebook. If this attitude doesn't scare you about all these education bills nothing will. Here is Democrat Representative Johnson telling a speaker that the state "allows towns to exist" and it seems can change them.......anyway they want maybe?

https://www.facebook.com/CTHRCC/vide...type=2&theater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 11:14 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Here is another post I saw on Facebook. If this attitude doesn't scare you about all these education bills nothing will. Here is Democrat Representative Johnson telling a speaker that the state "allows towns to exist" and it seems can change them.......anyway they want maybe?

That's like the attitude from some progressives that the federal government allows states to exist (rather than the other way around). I believe in governing from the lowest level first, closest to the people. These people are a really scary bunch. I don't like them at all, on any level.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:06 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,183,879 times
Quote:

Actually, the Representative is absolutely correct. The State of Connecticut is Sovereign and through that allows Towns the necessary means to exist and tools to do the work. It's called being a Creature of the State. The State, via Public Act (not constitutional amendment), abolished a whole form of chartered municipality in 1959 being the Counties. Article X of the CT Constitution is clear on this power, and I believe every state has a similar method of creating and maintaining municipalities.

As well several CT Supreme Court decisions put a hefty burden on the State, but not individual towns. The Representative was trying to make that point but it kind of blew over.

She said it completely in the wrong way and fairly condescendingly, but the speaker was completely inaccurate on the Law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
That's like the attitude from some progressives that the federal government allows states to exist (rather than the other way around). I believe in governing from the lowest level first, closest to the people. These people are a really scary bunch. I don't like them at all, on any level.
Well, initially the Federal Government chooses which entities it wishes to be co-sovereign with, after that the ratified states have jurisdiction as they see fit under the duties, powers, and obligations under the Constitution and US Statutes. It's neither the states allowing the Federal Government to exist, nor the Federal Government allowing states to exist once the union is made. We kind of had a war about this, made a couple of history books I imagine.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:10 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post

She said it completely in the wrong way and fairly condescendingly, but the speaker was completely inaccurate on the Law.

I think you meant to say she was ACCURATE on the law.

I know she is technically correct but it was the way she said it and that is the point. Listen to the other things she says and how she says it.

After seeing her ATTITUDE I will not vote for another Democratic State Representative or Democratic State Senator ever again. In fact I will actively help any Republican that runs for State Representative or State Senator in my district.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I think you meant to say she was ACCURATE on the law.

I know she is technically correct but it was the way she said it and that is the point. Listen to the other things she says and how she says it.

After seeing her ATTITUDE I will not vote for another Democratic State Representative or Democratic State Senator ever again. In fact I will actively help any Republican that runs for State Representative or State Senator in my district.

Sorry yeah I meant the woman speaking to the Rep made a wildly inaccurate reading of the law, which the Rep snapped back at pointlessly out of clear frustration but the establishment of facts is key to a fraught subject like this. From the chairman's reaction though it looks like they had a parade of constituents that were making bizzarre statements not apropos to the law, we doubt know because of the shortened nature of the clip.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:33 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:

I believe what Beeker said is correct. Every state is considered sovereign in its own boundaries and is free to make, expand or abolish all types of local governments (including cities) and counties. The only thing to my knowledge that states cannot change by itself are Indian reservations if the tribe is recognized by the Federal government.

In practice, here in the Northeast where almost all the land is already incorporated into cities and towns, states are reluctant to change boundaries over the heads of local citizens. Its why cities have been unable to expand (IMO that's a good thing) and annex neighboring communities here in the Northeast. In contrast in the South and West some cities are still expanding into unincorporated areas.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:47 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I believe what Beeker said is correct. Every state is considered sovereign in its own boundaries and is free to make, expand or abolish all types of local governments (including cities) and counties. The only thing to my knowledge that states cannot change by itself are Indian reservations if the tribe is recognized by the Federal government.

In practice, here in the Northeast where almost all the land is already incorporated into cities and towns, states are reluctant to change boundaries over the heads of local citizens. Its why cities have been unable to expand (IMO that's a good thing) and annex neighboring communities here in the Northeast. In contrast in the South and West some cities are still expanding into unincorporated areas.
^^^Yes it is almost taboo to try to reorganize cities and towns in the highly developed Bos-Wash corridor but I think the CT Democrats are close to trying something that will break down that social standard.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:13 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Well, initially the Federal Government chooses which entities it wishes to be co-sovereign with, after that the ratified states have jurisdiction as they see fit under the duties, powers, and obligations under the Constitution and US Statutes. It's neither the states allowing the Federal Government to exist, nor the Federal Government allowing states to exist once the union is made. We kind of had a war about this, made a couple of history books I imagine.
Sorry, but we cannot manage coexistence (cities vs towns) by guiding from a communal perspective where the rights of these individual communities should give way to the wants of the region.

We can’t ignore history in support of the progressive agenda but allow it to surface when it’s convenient to our opinion. Those books are “history” for a reason. My guess is someone with the quoted opinion would also be for tearing down those historical statues.

Last edited by JayCT; 03-03-2019 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Removed personal attack

Old 03-03-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sorry, but we cannot manage coexistence (cities vs towns) by guiding from a communal perspective where the rights of these individual communities should give way to the wants of the region.

We can’t ignore history in support of the progressive agenda but allow it to surface when it’s convenient to our opinion. Those books are “history” for a reason. My guess is someone with the quoted opinion would also be for tearing down those historical statues.

Hey when it concerns the relationship between the states I'm just quoting Fmr. Justice Scalia.

But the progressive agenda? You're in CT, or system and history is built for it. Again.... I think the particular bills are fatally flawed but I seriously can't help but notice that the biggest complainers about propriety tax in CT are the same complaining about the bills. The approach of do nothing but kvetch about everything is coming to a sharp end. For the state to thrive and survive we'll need big ideas and honest talk about how we do it.

Last edited by JayCT; 03-03-2019 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Revised quote

Old 03-03-2019, 06:40 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Hey when it concerns the relationship between the states I'm just quoting Fmr. Justice Scalia.

But the progressive agenda? You're in CT, or system and history is built for it. Again.... I think the particular bills are fatally flawed but I seriously can't help but notice that the biggest complainers about propriety tax in CT are the same complaining about the bills. The approach of do nothing but kvetch about everything is coming to a sharp end. For the state to thrive and survive we'll need big ideas and honest talk about how we do it.
As has been previously stated, the concern is the ulterior motive of the mentioned progressive agenda that would be far more economically damaging in years ahead than remaining status quo.

Dig a little deeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut