Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:07 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

What you think of small school districts joining larger towns to save the state some money. Oxford schools which less than 2,000 kids would join Newtown or Middlebury etc

“School districts with fewer than 2,000 students would be required to join other districts to regionalize populations and save money on administrative costs, under legislation submitted by state Senate Majority Leader Bob Duff.”

https://ctpost.com/politics/article/...o-13561693.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 12:57 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What you think of small school districts joining larger towns to save the state some money. Oxford schools which less than 2,000 kids would join Newtown or Middlebury etc

“School districts with fewer than 2,000 students would be required to join other districts to regionalize populations and save money on administrative costs, under legislation submitted by state Senate Majority Leader Bob Duff.”

Interesting concept and in my own view likely a good budgetary step. But the backlash will be strong and swift. People like local schools even when they don't make much sense. So my prediction is unless they trim this way back (like districts with less then 1k students ) I don't see it being implemented.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:12 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Oh I can't wait to see the backlash in Litchfield County. For example, I don't see region 12 being okay, in any way, with a consolidation with any of the surrounding districts

Old 01-25-2019, 01:33 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Oh I can't wait to see the backlash in Litchfield County. For example, I don't see region 12 being okay, in any way, with a consolidation with any of the surrounding districts
Yeah the two I thought of up here would be forcing Windsor locks and Suffield to merge (might like that if you lived in WL not so much if you lived in Suffield).

Old 01-25-2019, 02:02 PM

184 posts, read 106,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

So Oxford always used to have its own elementary and I think middle but went to high school over in Seymour.

But, I think it was around 10-15 years ago they built the new high school, which is quite lovely, and are planning on breaking ground on a new middle school this spring/summer to open the 21-22 school year. The K-2 is also a new building.

Interesting idea, but small towns like Oxford, and not going to want to give up what was already invested in.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:27 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I do not agree with this. This should be up to the community and not be state mandated. What is to prevent the state from trying to force other consolidations? I doubt this will go anywhere. Jay

Old 01-25-2019, 02:34 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
So Oxford always used to have its own elementary and I think middle but went to high school over in Seymour.

But, I think it was around 10-15 years ago they built the new high school, which is quite lovely, and are planning on breaking ground on a new middle school this spring/summer to open the 21-22 school year. The K-2 is also a new building.

Interesting idea, but small towns like Oxford, and not going to want to give up what was already invested in.
Yeah, and Oxford would fight this hard and with cause -- is one of the rare growing towns in CT.... it's already not far from that 2,000 student threshold.

On the other hand, region 12 only has about 650 students in k-12 and spends more per pupil than just about any other district in the state.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:07 PM

21,721 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Would create 30-45 minute commutes to school for some.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:20 PM

184 posts, read 106,391 times
Quote:
Yeah, and Oxford would fight this hard and with cause -- is one of the rare growing towns in CT.... it's already not far from that 2,000 student threshold.

On the other hand, region 12 only has about 650 students in k-12 and spends more per pupil than just about any other district in the state.
Yes we are. Interesting town to live in as it struggles with the growth.

But yeah, this would cause major issues. No way anybody around here would want their kids going to Seymour. Maybe head over to Pomperaug, but they are pretty big over there.

Maybe peel off one of the neighboring towns that is part of a regional program and have them come to Oxford.

The funny thing about a bill like this, probably would not save much. You get rid of some admin costs, maybe. But you would still need all the teachers, that would not change. Maybe lose a gym teacher, some music people, etc. But that is not worth sending my kids on a 30-45 minute bus ride every day.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:42 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
Yes we are. Interesting town to live in as it struggles with the growth.

But yeah, this would cause major issues. No way anybody around here would want their kids going to Seymour. Maybe head over to Pomperaug, but they are pretty big over there.

Maybe peel off one of the neighboring towns that is part of a regional program and have them come to Oxford.

The funny thing about a bill like this, probably would not save much. You get rid of some admin costs, maybe. But you would still need all the teachers, that would not change. Maybe lose a gym teacher, some music people, etc. But that is not worth sending my kids on a 30-45 minute bus ride every day.
Oxford is on the cusp of the cutoff right now — 1,950 students in the district. You’re a growing community though. I wouldn’t give it much thought — if this passes, and by the time it does, you’ll be well on your way past the 2k number

I worry about the effect it will have on my neighbor town of Sherman. Only 300 students there, with one k-8 school. They pay a per pupil fee for every high schooler they send to a neighboring town (mainly New Fairfield or New Milford which are the two nearest high schools). If they’re forced to consolidate and join one of those two school districts, their taxes are going to skyrocket pretty much overnight once they have to share in that district’s education budget. Right now Sherman’s education budget is around $9 million. New Fairfield’s, which is a town similarly sized to Oxford and almost demographically identical to it (I think we have about 2,400 students district wide, so more kids at the moment, but we’re not growing at the same rate as your town is) is $43 million. I can’t even imagine what New Milford’s is, as its much larger...
I could easily see a $2k RE hike for Sherman residents if they have to pitch in to an education budget that they most certainly do not want or need. They have crazy low taxes for this area, and I’m sure they’re very happy about that....

Last edited by Lalalally; 01-25-2019 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut