Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:28 AM

487 posts, read 536,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
They’ve discussed merging East Granby and Suffield (and occasionally Windaor Locks) for as long as I can remember put it never pans out.
The talk as of late has been E. Granby and Granby consolidating.

I actually attended the E. Granby school system and at the time liked and enjoyed the smaller size. It wasn't until I entered my higher education and was exposed to experiences and stories from vastly different environments that I realized how many educational experiences "I" missed out on. This is further cemented with having a young child currently in a large district and reviewing their curriculum and opportunities for classes. As my wife and I are currently evaluating several towns for a move this summer the small towns such as East Granby are low on our priority list simply due to the small school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 10:44 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
State leaders want to push the bill to consolidate schools

“Senate President Martin Looney, D-New Haven, proposed a bill which would force school districts in towns with less than 40,000 residents to consolidate with a neighboring district.”

“The law, if enacted, would become effective starting in July 2021.”

“Looney’s simple rationale for his bill is: “to create a more efficient educational system.”

“The town of Wilton has also been vocal in its opposition to Looney’s bill, which would force them to consolidate with Norwalk.”

https://ctpost.com/local/article/CT-...photo-16837533

Old 01-28-2019, 12:17 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Building maintenance, for one, would be a tremendous savings. That, alone, really hits small towns hard.
Only if they actually close buildings. If districts merge and keep the same number of students and facilities, the savings comes mainly from administration. They'll be down to one superintendent and support staff. They might see some savings from combining volume for purchasing.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:44 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Only if they actually close buildings. If districts merge and keep the same number of students and facilities, the savings comes mainly from administration. They'll be down to one superintendent and support staff. They might see some savings from combining volume for purchasing.
Many schools in a lot of these small towns are in need of repair so you’re right - they’d have to combine buildings. And after doing so, they wouldn’t need as many administrators. Millions in savings.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:27 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Most of the US (especially the South, somewhat surprisingly) regionalizes. But the big holdout on this is the Northeast, especially MA, CT, NY and NJ. More than any other part of the country, people here are big on their small town district and neighborhood school. Going to hard to fight that tide.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:59 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Those are middle school/high school regional districts if I remember correctly. The towns still run their own elementary schools. They actually have more administration types, as there are two boards of ed, two superintendents etc. Unless they end up closing/consolidating schools, I don't see what savings are achieved by forced regionalization. Headcount will remain pretty much the same.
In region 15 (Pomperaug) and some other regional districts, there is already just one BOE and one superintendent. The elementary schools are sort of zoned by town, but not completely - Middlebury and Southbury share one school, then Southbury has two others and Middlebury has one. The MS/HS are shared by the towns.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:46 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Most of the US (especially the South, somewhat surprisingly) regionalizes. But the big holdout on this is the Northeast, especially MA, CT, NY and NJ. More than any other part of the country, people here are big on their small town district and neighborhood school. Going to hard to fight that tide.
It will be a hard fight to get this especially when you consider the state’s you mention are all considered to have the best schools in the country. There is a reason schools in these states perform so well and regionalism is not going to improve that. Jay

Old 01-29-2019, 06:07 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
In region 15 (Pomperaug) and some other regional districts, there is already just one BOE and one superintendent. The elementary schools are sort of zoned by town, but not completely - Middlebury and Southbury share one school, then Southbury has two others and Middlebury has one. The MS/HS are shared by the towns.
Yeah, Amity is different - the towns run their own elementary schools and the Amity district covers the MS/HS only. Each town has a BOE and then there is an Amity BOE with members from all three towns. Not really an ideal setup from an efficiency standpoint.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:33 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
First of all, let’s get this straight, overall Connecticut schools are not failing. They are always among the best performing in the country and actually should be held as a model for other states. Yes, we do have schools with issues, but all states do and those problems will not go away if we regionalize schools. Maybe statistically, some systems will look better but that does not mean the quality of education will actually improve.

Second the proposals for regionalizing smaller systems makes no sense. These are not the schools that are failing or the ones who are having financial issues. If they were I could understand doing this but to my knowledge none of the districts that would be affected by this are having problems. Both bills are being proposed by legislators from large cities, not the communities being impacted by the proposals. Make you wonder the true motives of the bills. Bigger is NOT better. Jay

Old 01-29-2019, 06:36 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
First of all, let’s get this straight, overall Connecticut schools are not failing. They are always among the best performing in the country and actually should be held as a model for other states. Yes, we do have schools with issues, but all states do and those problems will not go away if we regionalize schools. Maybe statistically, some systems will look better but that does not mean the quality of education will actually improve.

Second the proposals for regionalizing smaller systems makes no sense. These are not the schools that are failing or the ones who are having financial issues. If they were I could understand doing this but to my knowledge none of the districts that would be affected by this are having problems. Both bills are being proposed by legislators from large cities, not the communities being impacted by the proposals. Make you wonder the true motives of the bills. Bigger is NOT better. Jay
Unfortunately, this is the kind of stuff that happens when you elect Democrats. It’s mind boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut