U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:26 AM

160 posts, read 58,242 times

Advertisements

So it looks like this company wants my job to have me work out here as their in-house desktop technician for 3 days a week. My job is going to continue to take care of the expenses, including a hotel. Guess that solves the commute problem LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 10:49 AM

1,790 posts, read 901,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy1988 View Post
So it looks like this company wants my job to have me work out here as their in-house desktop technician for 3 days a week. My job is going to continue to take care of the expenses, including a hotel. Guess that solves the commute problem LOL.
What are the days you need to be there? I assumed it was Monday, Wednesday and Friday but by one of your last posts it looks different. Now it seems you will be there on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and will be staying in Manhattan on Monday and Tuesday night.

So it looks like you will be making the long commute technically once a week. On Monday morning to go to NYC and Wednesday night to come home back to CT. Am I correct? If that is the case doing it from Wethersfield (the way you already are) might not be to bad.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
What are the days you need to be there? I assumed it was Monday, Wednesday and Friday but by one of your last posts it looks different. Now it seems you will be there on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and will be staying in Manhattan on Monday and Tuesday night.

So it looks like you will be making the long commute technically once a week. On Monday morning to go to NYC and Wednesday night to come home back to CT. Am I correct? If that is the case doing it from Wethersfield (the way you already are) might not be to bad.
Sorry for the confusion. Originally it was Monday - Thursday. Then right before Christmas, it was 5 days a week. As January came to a close, they dropped it back down to Mon - Thurs. Soon it'll be Mon - Wed. I always leave every Monday morning to West Haven to take the train. So yes, you are correct. Take the train out to NYC Monday, take it back to CT Wednesday evening once they officially drop me down to 3 days.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:10 AM

95 posts, read 40,979 times
Is the 2h10m figure you quoted a reliable figure, or is that an optimistic estimate?

I live in Dutchess County, NY and I know many people who, or have done, do a NYC commute. Door-to-door ends up being roughly 2h30m.

Personally, I would never do that to myself, but it is hardly abnormal among Manhattan commuters. 2h10m wouldn't cause me to raise an eyebrow. ****, some guys come in on buses from the Poconos and Philly...now THAT's insane!

Old 02-17-2019, 09:21 AM

3,733 posts, read 3,499,943 times
If your employer will reimburse you for everything, check out hotwire for deal on close in hotel. Can be as little as $65/ night including breakfast.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashowofhands View Post
Is the 2h10m figure you quoted a reliable figure, or is that an optimistic estimate?

I live in Dutchess County, NY and I know many people who, or have done, do a NYC commute. Door-to-door ends up being roughly 2h30m.

Personally, I would never do that to myself, but it is hardly abnormal among Manhattan commuters. 2h10m wouldn't cause me to raise an eyebrow. ****, some guys come in on buses from the Poconos and Philly...now THAT's insane!

Some days it's a total of 2h 30m. Some days I can do it in less time. But I'm not doing it everyday, as I stay out there in a hotel. I met a girl on the train last week who works for Fox News and commutes to Manhattan daily, and she lives in Farmington! She told me once her lease is up she's moving to Fairfield to make the commute easier. I was shocked when she said the daily back-and-forth doesn't drain her out at all.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If your employer will reimburse you for everything, check out hotwire for deal on close in hotel. Can be as little as $65/ night including breakfast.

Yup, that's what I do! Definitely helps, especially the free nights I've been getting!

Old 02-18-2019, 09:09 PM

15,025 posts, read 18,491,555 times
I’ve met plenty of people with worse commutes than myself (1 hr 45 on a good day). I’m at my personal limit and my ability to work from home at least one day a week plus frequent travel makes it totally tolerable. And a great house by the beach, with the ability to save a lot of money. But I couldn’t do much more without tipping over into being too stressed.

One from Litchfield County to midtown. One from PA. Another from outside Waterbury. Some in far reaches of NJ, which is not only a 2+ hour commute, but involves multiple legs of the journey (car to train to bus to long walk or subway).

Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Iíve met plenty of people with worse commutes than myself (1 hr 45 on a good day). Iím at my personal limit and my ability to work from home at least one day a week plus frequent travel makes it totally tolerable. And a great house by the beach, with the ability to save a lot of money. But I couldnít do much more without tipping over into being too stressed.

One from Litchfield County to midtown. One from PA. Another from outside Waterbury. Some in far reaches of NJ, which is not only a 2+ hour commute, but involves multiple legs of the journey (car to train to bus to long walk or subway).

Stylo it sounds like your commute isn't too far off from mine. For me it's 2h 15m on a good day, and 2 1/2 on a crappy one. I definitely know what you mean about your personal limit. For me, the weekends fly by, and I have to cram as much stuff as I can if I want to get stuff done. When I am back at my actual job in Wethersfield, I work 10 - 7, so the last thing I want to do on a Friday evening is run errands.

Sometimes I will if I know it'll help me out in the long run. Otherwise my Saturdays and Sundays are gone before I can even blink. It's tough spreading yourself so thin but I'm making it work. It was really tough with the girlfriend in the beginning, as she had a tough time understanding that I couldn't just be cooped up in her house all weekend without getting anything done. She has adjusted to it since then which helps.

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

15,025 posts, read 18,491,555 times
Door to door? Seems quick for Wethersfield to Empire State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut