U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 02:49 PM

157 posts, read 57,916 times

Advertisements

I am in IT and my job has me contracted/consulting out in NYC since the beginning of December. I am in Manhattan near the Empire State Building. I drive from Wethersfield to West Haven and can usually get there within 35 minutes since I leave early enough to avoid traffic. Of course my job covers all expenses: parking at the train station, train ticket, hotel, food, etc. This company loves the work I am doing and is thinking about proposing to my job that they make me their new in-house desktop technician.

I love working out here and enjoy the balance of a busy work week in the city, to relax in quiet suburb on the weekends. They also said they would probably only need me for 3 days a week, since I finished migrating everyone to Windows 10, and took care of some other pressing matters. I honestly don't mind the drive to the train station, as well as the train ride. I sleep on the train until we get to GCT. On my rides home, I eat dinner and stream shows until we approach West Haven.

Total travel time between driving to the train station and the train ride is around 2hr 10m. My girlfriend isn't much of a fan of the traveling, but she knows it's a great experience and a major chance for me to grow in my career, so she does support it. I was wondering if anyone else does extreme commuting like this and what your thoughts are, as well as any advice you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 06:04 PM

15,018 posts, read 18,486,522 times
I have a long commute 3-4 days a week, but not that long. I have a 4 minute drive to station and ~90 minute express. And my office is walking distance from GCT. I don’t mind it. The pay off and having a great house in an area I love is worth it, for me.

You can move closer to the city and still have an affordable suburban existence like you do now. That commute seems beyond what 99.9% of people could handle.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:35 PM

19 posts, read 3,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy1988 View Post
I am in IT and my job has me contracted/consulting out in NYC since the beginning of December. I am in Manhattan near the Empire State Building. I drive from Wethersfield to West Haven and can usually get there within 35 minutes since I leave early enough to avoid traffic. Of course my job covers all expenses: parking at the train station, train ticket, hotel, food, etc. This company loves the work I am doing and is thinking about proposing to my job that they make me their new in-house desktop technician.

I love working out here and enjoy the balance of a busy work week in the city, to relax in quiet suburb on the weekends. They also said they would probably only need me for 3 days a week, since I finished migrating everyone to Windows 10, and took care of some other pressing matters. I honestly don't mind the drive to the train station, as well as the train ride. I sleep on the train until we get to GCT. On my rides home, I eat dinner and stream shows until we approach West Haven.

Total travel time between driving to the train station and the train ride is around 2hr 10m. My girlfriend isn't much of a fan of the traveling, but she knows it's a great experience and a major chance for me to grow in my career, so she does support it. I was wondering if anyone else does extreme commuting like this and what your thoughts are, as well as any advice you can give me.

I would say that 9 out of 10 people would agree that this type of commute is not sustainable but if you like what you're doing and you don't mind the commute, then the more power to you!

Old 02-11-2019, 07:40 PM

25,320 posts, read 41,092,457 times
I don’t think there are many, if any that would find this to be an acceptable commute, even just three days a week. I can understand your GF’s concerns. I had a friend that commuted from Glastonbury to Manhattan for a time but he stayed overnight there or with family in Westchester some of the time. Only you can decide if this is worthwhile or not. Good luck with this decision. Jay

Old 02-12-2019, 09:37 AM

157 posts, read 57,916 times
Yes, I don't think I could do this kind of commute permanently, without staying at a hotel or getting an apartment up here. I would love to move closer, but my girlfriend bought a house back in 2017 before I met her, so she has no plans of moving. I am trying to find other options.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:01 AM

278 posts, read 283,885 times
I did a 2 hour commute (by car) each way for 8 years. It eventually wears you down and if/when you add kids to the mix it becomes even more difficult.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:08 AM

16,114 posts, read 22,502,594 times
I couldn’t do that commute once a week, nevermind three times.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:12 AM

15,018 posts, read 18,486,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy1988 View Post
Yes, I don't think I could do this kind of commute permanently, without staying at a hotel or getting an apartment up here. I would love to move closer, but my girlfriend bought a house back in 2017 before I met her, so she has no plans of moving. I am trying to find other options.
Can you afford a cheap apartment in Westchester?

Old 02-12-2019, 10:37 AM

95 posts, read 90,234 times
To clarify, in the 3-day-a-week scenario would you be staying down there the entire time or commuting back and forth three times a week? If it's just one back and forth commute a week you could probably do it for a while. If it's three times a week, hell no. Plus we've gotten lucky this winter without snow. I'm also in IT and used to commute from New Haven to a client right across the street from GTC once or twice a week and even that wore on me after a few years.

2h10 minutes also seems very optimistic, unless you're talking actual time on mass transit and not waiting for trains/subways, getting there a little early to park, etc.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:42 AM

19 posts, read 3,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Can you afford a cheap apartment in Westchester?

Not a bad option.

I know some hotels in Westchester offer discounted corporate rates during the week so you may want to look into that. I've seen some offer rooms as low as $99 (per night) during slower points of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut