U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,397,893 times

Advertisements

Hey hey! Curious on thoughts about living in Naugatuck.

Currently renting on the Waterbury/Wolcott line. Considering moving to apartments in the Naugy area behind the high school.

Currious on safety in Naugy?

We currently live 2 miles away from the MIL and wife's job in Wolcott.

We have 1 child on the way but hope to move in a year to a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

15,012 posts, read 18,467,760 times
Nothing wrong with Naugatuck if schools aren't a concern. It's cheap. Not the most attractive place, and not much to do in the immediate area, but relatively safe.

I would not buy there for long term, considering the schools aren't great.

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,521,151 times
I feel like the word that best describes Naugatuck is "meh". As Stylo already pointed out, there's nothing egregiously wrong with it but it's not a very exciting place and it's not the most desirable place in the valley.

If you plan on staying in the area and can afford it, would you consider Seymour? It's nearby and IMHO just a MUCH nicer town: an old mill town that has been cleaned up considerably, complete with a nice downtown, easy highway access and a Metro North stop, and the schools are good. Even though it's a small town, it seems there's more to do there, too. Just my $0.02

Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

8,420 posts, read 4,397,893 times
Love to but can't find any rentals that take pets under $1500

Wife and I want to move to Seymour.

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

15,012 posts, read 18,467,760 times
Rent in Naugatuck. Save. And move to a better town.

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

1,781 posts, read 896,242 times
If you look at the crime stats on City-Data it is 126 based on the US crime average of 275. That seems pretty safe to me.

If you go on the page City-Data there is an interactive map that you can get down to the level of the neighborhood you are looking at and see the stats of that specific area. While it does not have the crime number is that exact area you can see unemployment, poverty and income info which can give you an idea about that area.
http://www.city-data.com (scroll down for interactive map)

Another thing I do to figure out crime in an area I am looking at is to look on Trulia for a house that is for sale near the apartments. In the link you can see there is a "crime" box to click on. If you do this on Trulia it is a good idea to check every once in a while and not just once.
https://www.trulia.com/p/ct/naugatuc...70--1001744129

Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM

16,106 posts, read 22,485,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I feel like the word that best describes Naugatuck is "meh". As Stylo already pointed out, there's nothing egregiously wrong with it but it's not a very exciting place and it's not the most desirable place in the valley.

If you plan on staying in the area and can afford it, would you consider Seymour? It's nearby and IMHO just a MUCH nicer town: an old mill town that has been cleaned up considerably, complete with a nice downtown, easy highway access and a Metro North stop, and the schools are good. Even though it's a small town, it seems there's more to do there, too. Just my $0.02
I agree with this. Seymour is more desirable and overall aesthetically pleasing. Itís one of the most underrated suburbs in the state IMO.

Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM

334 posts, read 111,610 times
Don't buy, downturn coming will mean falling prices. Go for best school/$ ratio you can afford when it matters.

Old Today, 08:36 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,521,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree with this. Seymour is more desirable and overall aesthetically pleasing. Itís one of the most underrated suburbs in the state IMO.
I think so, too. I mean, it's a smallish suburb but there's more going on than most people realize. I forget when the last time was when I went there, but when I was in their downtown area recently it was surprisingly nice. Coffee shops, cute stores, nice restaurants, and old historic movie theater that screens old classics, etc. Just a nice town with a lot going for it.

Old Today, 08:59 AM

16,106 posts, read 22,485,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I think so, too. I mean, it's a smallish suburb but there's more going on than most people realize. I forget when the last time was when I went there, but when I was in their downtown area recently it was surprisingly nice. Coffee shops, cute stores, nice restaurants, and old historic movie theater that screens old classics, etc. Just a nice town with a lot going for it.
That movie theater was recently taken over by a local couple who basically saved it from going under. What theyíve done with it is amazing. A little off topic, I know, but youíre right. Itís got a cool, a bit quirky, downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut