Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,138 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Connecticut and are considering buying a home in Wilton. We are being told good things about Wilton/Ridgefield.

How are the schools here? We have kids in middle school, should we look for charter schools?

Hows the Indian community in Wilton? It would be good to have few families around with same cultural background.

Anything else we should know of?

Thanks Much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 10:09 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
The schools in Wilton and Ridgefield are excellent. They are among the very best in the state. There should be no reason to look into Charter schools unless your child has a specific interest or need. Even then I would be very hard pressed to not send my child to the town schools.

I cannot comment on the Indian community in these towns but other posters here live or have lived in both of these towns. Good luck, Jay

Old 02-19-2019, 04:59 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Where will you be working?

Both communities are awesome. Wilton is a bit closer to Norwalk, allowing an easier commute to cities along 95 and NYC. Ridgefield is slightly more rural and is closer to Danbury, but still not far from Norwalk. Both have highly rated schools and Ridgefield has an awesome after school program for kids that I have not seen or experienced in other communities I’ve lived (Wilton may offer something similar?).

Parental involvement in huge in both. There are a ton of foreign born residents in both so even if the Indian population is small, your kids should have no problems adjusting. I’ve met Canadians, Brits, Aussies, Japanese, etc; all of whom were born outside the US. For small communities, they’re quite diverse when it comes to nationalities.

You can’t go wrong in either town. Find a home you like best and go from there.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:30 AM

487 posts, read 536,721 times
Both are great towns with high quality educational systems. I lived in Wilton for several years but prior to having children, but did have a couple cousins go through the Wilton school systems (both are early 20's now). Its anecdotal but have heard from my Aunt that there have been some changes (or perception) in the Wilton schools since by cousins went through. But, I would not hesitate for a second to move back and have my son go there.

From my personal experience I have not seen much for Indian communities in either town. But, with Wilton bordering Norwalk you would have a closer proximity to its diversity including Indians. Due to that I would suggest Wilton over Ridgefield.

Last edited by davwve; 02-19-2019 at 07:11 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 07:09 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Wilton has a growing Indian population. While anecdotal, I've noticed an increase of kids of Indian descent in both my kids' classes over the years. Can't comment on Ridgefield.

Both towns have great schools. Hard to say one is better than the other, really have to spend some time in each and see which town speaks to you more.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,015 times
ASML is a big employer in Wilton. They are a big semiconductor equipment manufacturer and bring many great diverse talents from all over.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:04 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Can't go wrong with either. Neither have a significant Indian population, and statistically they are very close in diversity.

You could consider Fairfield as well.

There's lots of great towns in the area, depending on your commute needs.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:37 PM

417 posts, read 600,467 times
Both towns have great schools, no need to look into charter schools as others have mentioned.

AFAIK Wilton has a more sizable Indian population than Ridgefield, albeit both Indian communities are fairly small. Nearby Norwalk, Trumbull, and Stamford have large (by CT standards) Indian communities. Farfield and Westport have reasonably active Indian communities as well.

My parents currently live in Westport, feel free to DM me if you have more specific questions about the Indian community in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut