U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 125 times

Advertisements

I plan to move to New Haven in mid June and would like to live in either East Rock or Wooster Square. It seems that the rental market in these areas heavily revolves around the Yale calendar, and so I do not see many current listings that meet our criteria (we would like 3BR 2BA) and are available in the right time frame.

So my question is: when is the best time to come to town and search for housing? I have to fly in from out of state and request time off work, so I need to plan in advance. But I am nervous that I will plan the trip for a time when there won't be many options to explore. If we come a few weeks before the move, will that be too late?

Thanks everyone for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 05:43 PM

15,026 posts, read 18,500,481 times
I would imagine April/May?

Old 02-20-2019, 11:51 AM

14 posts, read 2,870 times
Welcome to the forums and best of luck in your search/move!

New Haven is a tough renters market, with very low vacancy rates. The market may breathe a little as summer approaches and students begin returning home, but I wouldn't expect the market to be suddenly flooded, particularly with the type of rental you are looking for.

What precisely about those two parts of New Haven are appealing to you? There are other desirable areas of New Haven depending on what you are looking for.

Do you specifically need to be in New Haven proper? If not then you may want to expand your search to the surrounding towns. Maybe if you post some more detail on your situation, members of the forum can offer better recommendations. For instance are you coming for work, do you need access to public transportation, what amenities are you looking for, will schools be a factor, etc...

Old 02-20-2019, 02:39 PM

96 posts, read 90,457 times
I moved out of New Haven in 2014 (I lived in both Wooster Square and East Rock; preferred East Rock) so things may have changed since then but you are correct that the market revolves around Yale. A lot of renewals are signed in Feb-Mar for Jun-Jun leases.

I found my first apartment in Wooster Square in Feb 2006 (move-in ready) so opportunities do pop up but it's difficult with you being a plane ride away. In my experience, East Rock is much more inundated with Yalies than Wooster Square so there's a better chance you'll find something in WS.

If you are young and single I'd recommend living in New Haven proper, or if you're really a city person. If you're older and indifferent about city life then check out the burbs, including Milford and Branford.

Old Today, 12:06 PM

629 posts, read 212,988 times
1875?

Old Today, 01:35 PM

1,796 posts, read 904,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth21 View Post

If you are young and single I'd recommend living in New Haven proper, or if you're really a city person. If you're older and indifferent about city life then check out the burbs, including Milford and Branford.

Old Today, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 125 times
Thanks everyone for the replies!

A few details about my situation: I will be telecommuting so location is not particularly important to me. However, my wife will work at Yale and prefers not to drive, so living somewhere either in walking distance to Yale or on the Yale Shuttle line would be most convenient. East Rock and Wooster Square are the two neighborhoods that most people recommend. Westville is another possible option. Schools will not factor into our decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or