Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 08:58 AM

6 posts, read 4,930 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We're looking at homes in Weston and Easton this weekend. We've heard that Westport has "high pressure" schools - and we prefer a different environment. Are Weston schools similar to Westport ("pressure cooker") - or more "relaxed" (our sense of Easton).

Thanks. Any advice (ASAP) is much appreciated!

JG

Last edited by mrjoe1008; 04-06-2019 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 01:14 PM

9 posts, read 9,882 times
I don’t know much about Easton schools but Weston district is very small. One elementary, middle and high school. That is preferable for some people but not others. I would be weary of smaller districts right now given regionalization talks. We are in Westport and while competitive, you’ll get that in any district in this area where the parents care about a good education.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:30 PM

21,740 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermaruu View Post
I don’t know much about Easton schools but Weston district is very small. One elementary, middle and high school. That is preferable for some people but not others. I would be weary of smaller districts right now given regionalization talks. We are in Westport and while competitive, you’ll get that in any district in this area where the parents care about a good education.
That’s not really painting the full picture. There’s talk about regionalizing administrative staff only. Not a consolidation like current regional school systems. Easton and Redding already have a combined school.

In the case of Weston, I wouldn’t worry about it. It’ll have minimal effect on the quality of education.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:48 PM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That’s not really painting the full picture. There’s talk about regionalizing administrative staff only. Not a consolidation like current regional school systems. Easton and Redding already have a combined school.

In the case of Weston, I wouldn’t worry about it. It’ll have minimal effect on the quality of education.
It’s only talk. Judging by the amount of opposition, it ain’t happening. The Bill got watered down and hopefully will die a well deserved death. The OP can’t go wrong with either town. Jay

Old 04-06-2019, 05:30 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It’s only talk. Judging by the amount of opposition, it ain’t happening. The Bill got watered down and hopefully will die a well deserved death. The OP can’t go wrong with either town. Jay
Agree on all counts.

OP: Weston schools are top notch. You’ll be fine.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:50 AM

6 posts, read 4,930 times
Thanks for the info. We talked to some parents (whom we found around Weston) during our search, and they all agreed with these comments here.

Any general thoughts on Easton vs. Weston in terms of schools, students, etc.? We can get a nice home in Eastson, but we're concerned that the schools/students aren't at the same level as Weston.

Thanks for the guidance. We're looking at a few more properties today.

JG

Old 04-07-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoe1008 View Post
Thanks for the info. We talked to some parents (whom we found around Weston) during our search, and they all agreed with these comments here.

Any general thoughts on Easton vs. Weston in terms of schools, students, etc.? We can get a nice home in Eastson, but we're concerned that the schools/students aren't at the same level as Weston.

JG
It’s really splitting hairs to compare Easton and Weston. I suppose the biggest difference is that Easton shares a high school with Redding, which is located in Redding. It’s an excellent public school and is rated among the best in the state. Again, overall, both are top notch.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:39 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It’s really splitting hairs to compare Easton and Weston. I suppose the biggest difference is that Easton shares a high school with Redding, which is located in Redding. It’s an excellent public school and is rated among the best in the state. Again, overall, both are top notch.
I agree but would likely give Weston a VERY slight edge over Easton. To me that edge though is so minor it would NOT make a difference. If the OP finds a home in Easton that meets their needs and the commute difference is not a factor, I would not hesitate to go with it. Jay

Old 04-07-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree but would likely give Weston a VERY slight edge over Easton. To me that edge though is so minor it would NOT make a difference. If the OP finds a home in Easton that meets their needs and the commute difference is not a factor, I would not hesitate to go with it. Jay
Agree. I’d go with where you can find the better home over which school district is best.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:21 AM

21,740 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoe1008 View Post

JG
Pick the home you like. There’s no discernible difference in schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut