U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 10:00 AM

15,222 posts, read 18,776,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You do realize that’s only violent crime, right?
City Data counts:

Robberies, Thefts, Auto thefts, arson, and burglaries. All non violent

Even on Neighborhood Scout (which I don't trust - clickbait), it is listed as safer as Orange and Trumbull. That's not to say any of the towns are dangerous, it just proves how ridiculous it is to single Milford out on any topic of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 10:50 AM

1,894 posts, read 3,568,639 times
Maybe having Milford NOT appear on a "best of" list is a blessing in disguise. Because if everybody flocked to a popular town, it would attract people who are there more for status than for quality of life. I see this particularly among young people where I live, they view the town not as a community but as a playground and nothing more, and they have a well-deserved reputation for being obnoxious. It hasn't impacted the quality of life negatively, but with a younger clientele now en masse, the number of police arrests involving DWI's has risen significantly in recent years, and it's become more commonplace for this demographic to have no qualms about littering people's lawns with beer cans, urinating on their lawns before driving off in their car, not cleaning up after their dogs, the list goes on. It also drives up rents, both residential and commercial, and this impacts affordability for everyone, from the middle-class individual to the handyman who owns the local shop or hardware store, all of which are a vanishing breed in many of these types of places.

Which is not to say this does not happen elsewhere, but with respect to Milford, it's a VERY nice, understated town. I'm sure many longtime residents would like to see it remains that way. Might not be as aesthetically appealing as lower Fairfield County, or have the same level or prestige, but so what? On its own terms, it has a lot going for it and it's comparatively much more affordable. There are a handful of other towns in New Haven County that share the same characteristics and are also not as well-known, and because of this, they've been able to maintain a lot of their charm. Being on a "best of" isn't always all it's cracked up to be.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:56 AM

2,820 posts, read 2,626,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It was not my intention to give a negative view of Milford. Milford was a small town before World War II and because it is located half way between two of Connecticut's largest cities and had large tracts of developable land, it saw a LOT of post war housing construction. It was a town that young people moved to because it had less expensive housing options including many nice new or newer modest homes. Several family members bought their first homes there back in the 60's because of that.

I agree with Stylo that Milford was not like West Haven. It did not become its own town until 1921 and was not incorporated as a city until 1961 which is kind of late for a municpality in Connecticut. Before 1921 it was part of Orange. After it split, West Haven emanated New Haven with denser housing patterns. Milford has been its own town since its founding in 1639 so its been around a LONG time. Jay
Considering I had relatives in both towns and spent a considerable amount of time in both of them growing up, I'll agree to disagree. Milford was perhaps a step up from West Haven, but no one would have mentioned it in the same breath as Orange. The towns have moved in opposite directions since then, especially as white collar professionals priced out of FFC have moved into Milford. Depending on what you're looking for, Milford is a viable alternative to Orange.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:12 PM

25,665 posts, read 41,581,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Considering I had relatives in both towns and spent a considerable amount of time in both of them growing up, I'll agree to disagree. Milford was perhaps a step up from West Haven, but no one would have mentioned it in the same breath as Orange. The towns have moved in opposite directions since then, especially as white collar professionals priced out of FFC have moved into Milford. Depending on what you're looking for, Milford is a viable alternative to Orange.
I did not say West Haven was like Orange. I said it split from a Orange in 1921 and it emanated New Haven with more dense development. I agree West Haven is not like Orange. Jay

Old 04-11-2019, 08:00 PM

18,074 posts, read 6,959,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Gonna have to stop you there, because people read stuff like this and become scared to move to a city.

Milford's crime index for 2017 was 94.5, US average 280.6. Somehow even lower than Trumbull and Orange. I can tell you after living there for 9 years, never felt remotely unsafe, and would walk around any part of town any time of day and not feel threatened.
I disagree, grew up here and its far less safe now, thanks to neighbors.

Mall closes due to gangs several times, Hookah lounge shootout-all spillover "gifts".

Also aided by I95 dumping near US1 every mile.

Its not Bridgeport, but its far less safe IMO than it was in 1997 when I left, as back then, we avoided the urban gifts.

I personally wish the Post stopped all bus service of kids, unless either directly proving they are working there that day, or with adults at all times.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I disagree, grew up here and its far less safe now, thanks to neighbors.

Mall closes due to gangs several times, Hookah lounge shootout-all spillover "gifts".

Also aided by I95 dumping near US1 every mile.

Its not Bridgeport, but its far less safe IMO than it was in 1997 when I left, as back then, we avoided the urban gifts.

I personally wish the Post stopped all bus service of kids, unless either directly proving they are working there that day, or with adults at all times.
Ok, so you read about a couple fights at the mall, and the hookah incident, and concluded the whole town is less safe now?

The hookah place will close within the year.

Crime stats for 1997 are hard to find, but Id bet they were higher. The current crime rate is half what it was in 2003.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:57 AM

16,373 posts, read 22,770,669 times
Quote:
City Data counts:

Robberies, Thefts, Auto thefts, arson, and burglaries. All non violent

Even on Neighborhood Scout (which I don't trust - clickbait), it is listed as safer as Orange and Trumbull. That's not to say any of the towns are dangerous, it just proves how ridiculous it is to single Milford out on any topic of crime.
This is not correct. City-data includes what are called “Index Crimes”, all of which are classified as violent and felonies in CT. In what lifetime are robberies, arson and even burglaries “non violent”? City-data does not include non-index crimes, which includes misdemeanor petit theft, and is what occurs in Milford most often.

I’m not sure why the defensiveness. I noted any crime in Milford is often committed by its neighbors. This isn’t speculation - there is plenty of evidence - and I’ve read you acknowledge that on the forum before. I also noted Milford isn’t high crime and have said that numerous times.

The only thing we really disagree on is our overall opinion of Milford. I didn’t care for it other than a shopping destination when I lived there. You clearly love it. Different strokes.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:25 AM

1,894 posts, read 3,568,639 times
Quote:
Ok, so you read about a couple fights at the mall, and the hookah incident, and concluded the whole town is less safe now?

Crime stats for 1997 are hard to find, but Id bet they were higher. The current crime rate is half what it was in 2003.
I will say this, and this is not specific to Milford or any specific town, crime overall may be down compared to where it was statistically in the late '90s, but in the last few years criminals have become much more brazen as far as what they attempt to get away with and where, and certain crimes (specifically the latest trend of auto thefts that lead to joy rides) have gotten WAY out of hand, and it's got to stop. In the past, the suburbs were often immune to this sort of thing, and they're not anymore. This isn't a town specific issue, this is a societal problem. It's the same thing with recreational narcotic use: it may have been a rare occurrence in the 'burbs (if unheard of) in previous decades, now it's commonplace.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I will say this, and this is not specific to Milford or any specific town, crime overall may be down compared to where it was statistically in the late '90s, but in the last few years criminals have become much more brazen as far as what they attempt to get away with and where, and certain crimes (specifically the latest trend of auto thefts that lead to joy rides) have gotten WAY out of hand, and it's got to stop. In the past, the suburbs were often immune to this sort of thing, and they're not anymore. This isn't a town specific issue, this is a societal problem. It's the same thing with recreational narcotic use: it may have been a rare occurrence in the 'burbs (if unheard of) in previous decades, now it's commonplace.
True. In fact there was just such a joyride in Stratford the other day.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:06 PM

18,074 posts, read 6,959,441 times
Quote:

Hookah had another pd incident last night.

Mall fights happening too often, massive scale.

Our location between 2 terrible cities with too large a criminal population is the root cause.

I do think if the bus to mall started and stopped only in Milford, the mall would be safer,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut