U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 08:10 AM

298 posts, read 274,150 times

Advertisements

This Chamber of Commerce video on Milford, while self-promotional, does capture the livability and appeal of a CT small town beach community.

https://youtu.be/S349zmGDSOw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 10:51 AM

15,284 posts, read 18,918,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
This Chamber of Commerce video on Milford, while self-promotional, does capture the livability and appeal of a CT small town beach community.

https://youtu.be/S349zmGDSOw
That was funded by the city itself, but yes, itís well done.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:56 PM

37 posts, read 9,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Shhhh, the greatness of Milford is our secret!
Your secret is being exposed by the Dan Patrick Show, which opens its new studios on Naugatuck Ave this Friday, after moving out of the one over Subway downtown.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:56 AM

762 posts, read 1,590,311 times
I'm surprised at some of the pooh pooh'ing of Milford.

As a long-time Stratford resident (been living since 1997), Milford has always been a great gem. I find the conveniences of Route 1 to be awesome, and if you escape 1 or 2 streets in, you get quiet residential neighborhoods and town-like amenities (like the Downtown Green). It's a great "jack of all trades."

Some of it may be psychological. When I think of Milford, I immediately think of downtown, Route 1, the beaches, and the neighborhoods bordering Orange. I don't think of Devon, the industrial parks, or the neighborhoods along the Housatonic River. Similarly, I also lump Milford and Orange together (even though the latter is a bit more affluent) given how the residents and geographies blend together nicely.

That all said, I do feel like Milford has begun to feel less nice compared to 10 years ago -- just like Stratford. I'm not referring to actual statistics like crime rate or property value, but rather a psychological day-to-day feel. Less desirable residents from Bridgeport, West Haven, and to some degree Stratford, are all hanging out more in Milford and Orange making it feel this way.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
Some of it may be psychological. When I think of Milford, I immediately think of downtown, Route 1, the beaches, and the neighborhoods bordering Orange. I don't think of Devon, the industrial parks, or the neighborhoods along the Housatonic River. Similarly, I also lump Milford and Orange together (even though the latter is a bit more affluent) given how the residents and geographies blend together nicely.
Housatonic Drive area is really nice along the river.

Orange has a higher average income but Milford actually has more affluence due to waterfront properties. There are several hundred homes near the million and up range because of that. To me, Milford is just more economically diverse, from working class to wealthy. Orange is pretty solidly upper middle class.

I haven't felt in person what you're talking about with less desirable people hanging out in Milford now. Just reading some headlines about the mall and the hopefully-soon-to-be-closed Hookah lounge. As a resident that's been there for 9 years, it's always felt pretty safe and I haven't experienced any of that firsthand. And the crime rate is actually lower now than it was when I moved there.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:01 PM

16,458 posts, read 22,910,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Housatonic Drive area is really nice along the river.

Orange has a higher average income but Milford actually has more affluence due to waterfront properties. There are several hundred homes near the million and up range because of that. To me, Milford is just more economically diverse, from working class to wealthy. Orange is pretty solidly upper middle class.

I haven't felt in person what you're talking about with less desirable people hanging out in Milford now. Just reading some headlines about the mall and the hopefully-soon-to-be-closed Hookah lounge. As a resident that's been there for 9 years, it's always felt pretty safe and I haven't experienced any of that firsthand. And the crime rate is actually lower now than it was when I moved there.
I would not say Milford is overall more affluent than Orange. According to Data USA, 18.3% of Orange households have an income of over $200k, the largest group. 9% of Milford households make the same, with the largest group being 75k to 100k. In both communities, 2% of the housing stock is $1m or more.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I would not say Milford is overall more affluent than Orange. According to Data USA, 18.3% of Orange households have an income of over $200k, the largest group. 9% of Milford households make the same, with the largest group being 75k to 100k. In both communities, 2% of the housing stock is $1m or more.
I wasn't talking averages clearly. On that measure Orange objectively is more affluent. Pure quantity. And $1MM+ homes are pretty common on the water in Milford. A $1MM+ home in Orange is pretty rare.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:18 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,590,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Orange is definitely more affluent, but in the last few years, it seems anytime anything new is built in Milford, it's a large, luxury property on the water or close proximity to it, and they're REALLY expensive. Maybe other people can afford a waterside condo in the mid-six figures, but I certainly can't!

Overall it just seems there's more going on in Milford and IMO that's the appeal: more walkable neighborhoods, more nightlife, etc. I admit I don't know the town well, but from my own experiences I like it a lot.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I wasn't talking averages clearly. On that measure Orange objectively is more affluent. Pure quantity. And $1MM+ homes are pretty common on the water in Milford. A $1MM+ home in Orange is pretty rare.
Eh, using that metric, one could say Bridgeport is more affluent than Shelton or Stratford because it has a higher number of million dollar homes. I wouldn’t say that’s the case. Percentages or per capita, IMO, are always better ways to gauge.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Orange is definitely more affluent, but in the last few years, it seems anytime anything new is built in Milford, it's a large, luxury property on the water or close proximity to it, and they're REALLY expensive. Maybe other people can afford a waterside condo in the mid-six figures, but I certainly can't!

Overall it just seems there's more going on in Milford and IMO that's the appeal: more walkable neighborhoods, more nightlife, etc. I admit I don't know the town well, but from my own experiences I like it a lot.
Youíre definitely right about that. Milford has more nightlife, transportation options, amenities, etc. Orange is where you move if you want the sleepy bedroom community with top rated schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut