U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 03:21 PM

15,284 posts, read 18,918,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Eh, using that metric, one could say Bridgeport is more affluent than Shelton or Stratford because it has a higher number of million dollar homes. I wouldnít say thatís the case. Percentages or per capita, IMO, are always better ways to gauge.
Bridgeport has a handful of million dollar homes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 03:47 PM

16,458 posts, read 22,910,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Bridgeport has a handful of million dollar homes...
It certainly does, on the water. But Iíd never say Bridgeport is more affluent than Shelton or Stratford. Thatís why, IMO, percentages are more telling.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:25 PM

762 posts, read 1,590,311 times
Quote:
Housatonic Drive area is really nice along the river.
Yup, I found really nice homes along that part of Milford/Orange off of the Merritt. I'm trying to convince my wife to move to Milford/Orange but she's not having it. She wants Wallingford/North Haven. Meh. (Slightly) better bang for the buck and closer to her family.

Quote:
I haven't felt in person what you're talking about with less desirable people hanging out in Milford now. Just reading some headlines about the mall and the hopefully-soon-to-be-closed Hookah lounge. As a resident that's been there for 9 years, it's always felt pretty safe and I haven't experienced any of that firsthand. And the crime rate is actually lower now than it was when I moved there.
It depends on where in Milford. If I'm at the mall, I've absolutely felt like the quality of patrons have declined. It's a far cry from when they first opened the new wing with Dicks, Target, movie theater, etc. 10 years ago. If I'm at Whole Foods, obviously it's a different clientele.

That said, everything is still 100x better than Stratford. The Shop Rite in Stratford is a dump, as is Walmart. The Stop & Shop in Stratford is OK but the one near Milford Hospital is WAY better.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:55 PM

18,374 posts, read 7,110,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post

. If I'm at the mall, I've absolutely felt like the quality of patrons have declined. It's a far cry from when they first opened the new wing with Dicks, Target, movie theater, etc. 10 years ago. If I'm at Whole Foods, obviously it's a different clientele.

That said, everything is still 100x better than Stratford. The Shop Rite in Stratford is a dump, as is Walmart. The Stop & Shop in Stratford is OK but the one near Milford Hospital is WAY better.
I agree on all points.

I think the mall would greatly improve if the buses were reduced sharply from neighboring towns.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Yup, I found really nice homes along that part of Milford/Orange off of the Merritt. I'm trying to convince my wife to move to Milford/Orange but she's not having it. She wants Wallingford/North Haven. Meh. (Slightly) better bang for the buck and closer to her family.

It depends on where in Milford. If I'm at the mall, I've absolutely felt like the quality of patrons have declined. It's a far cry from when they first opened the new wing with Dicks, Target, movie theater, etc. 10 years ago. If I'm at Whole Foods, obviously it's a different clientele.

I only go to the mall for movies and Target. Tbh I’ve always found it trashy. Also 2 words for your wife: future resale

Last edited by Stylo; 04-17-2019 at 07:55 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 09:15 PM

762 posts, read 1,590,311 times
Quote:
I only go to the mall for movies and Target. Tbh Iíve always found it trashy. Also 2 words for your wife: future resale
Tell me about it. She's open to Orange but there's almost no natural gas. Properties in our budget ($400k'ish) aren't as nice as what we can find in North Haven or Wallingford. Hamden is an option for us and a good compromise, but their taxes are Atrocious (with a capital A).

Old 04-18-2019, 06:51 AM

25,899 posts, read 41,852,217 times
Quote:
Tell me about it. She's open to Orange but there's almost no natural gas. Properties in our budget ($400k'ish) aren't as nice as what we can find in North Haven or Wallingford. Hamden is an option for us and a good compromise, but their taxes are Atrocious (with a capital A).
I am not sure if schools are important but Hamden schools do not perform as well as the other towns you are looking at. Jay

Old 04-18-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
It certainly does, on the water. But Iíd never say Bridgeport is more affluent than Shelton or Stratford. Thatís why, IMO, percentages are more telling.
$1mm+ homes sold in Milford recently: 22
Bridgeport: 0

Just a weird comparison, but whatevs

Old 04-18-2019, 07:42 AM

16,458 posts, read 22,910,433 times
Quote:
$1mm+ homes sold in Milford recently: 22
Bridgeport: 0

Just a weird comparison, but whatevs
It’s not a weird comparison. I was making a point that just because a city has million dollar homes doesn’t mean it’s affluent. You said Milford is more affluent than Orange because of the number of million dollar homes. The same argument can be made for Bridgeport (or Stamford vs Weston), but it doesn’t mean the former is more affluent than the latter. They are just larger cities. And really, the sale of million dollar homes means little when we don’t know who’s purchasing them. That’s why income better determines affluence.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
It’s not a weird comparison. I was making a point that just because a city has million dollar homes doesn’t mean it’s affluent. You said Milford is more affluent than Orange because of the number of million dollar homes. The same argument can be made for Bridgeport (or Stamford vs Weston), but it doesn’t mean the former is more affluent than the latter. They are just larger cities. And really, the sale of million dollar homes means little when we don’t know who’s purchasing them. That’s why income better determines affluence.
The contrarianism is exhausting...

My original statement:

Quote:
Orange has a higher average income but Milford actually has more affluence due to waterfront properties.
That's the last I'll say. I know you don't like Milford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut