U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 08:28 AM

16,458 posts, read 22,910,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The contrarianism is exhausting...

My original statement:

That's the last I'll say. I know you don't like Milford.
It has nothing to do with me liking Milford. But letís not portray it as something itís not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 10:31 PM

762 posts, read 1,590,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure if schools are important but Hamden schools do not perform as well as the other towns you are looking at. Jay
Not a priority for us (we're double income, no kids) but we still care about school districts for resale value. Also, better schools tend to equal nicer communities.

Not to detract from the Milford topic but here are our thoughts on towns we've honed in on. It has to be along the Merritt/I-91 corridor:

Milford/Orange:
Pros: great jack-of-all-trade community. Healthy mix of wealth and not as snooty. Great amenities and proximity to multiple Metro-North stations and multiple cities.
Cons: Not as good bang-for-buck. Orange has almost no natural gas.
Notes: Wife wants to be closer to family; Orange is the farthest southwest she'll go. Milford is not being considered.

Hamden:
Pros: The nice areas have a Milford/Orange feel IMO. Convenient amenities, bustling downtown but quiet neighborhoods too.
Cons: Taxes are atrocious; houses may cost less but you pay more in taxes. The "Quinnipiac effect" is apparently rampant and driving down home costs per several real estate agents (lots of parents or landlords housing college kids.
Notes: only looking at north of Merritt not much past QU. Too rural the closer you get to Bethany IMO. The Skiff St. area is too dense. The areas south of the Merritt are ghetto.

North Haven:
Pros: central proximity to "things to do" in neighboring towns and cities. Close enough to Milford/Orange's amenities like Costco.
Cons: the town itself feels hollow. Doesn't seem like there's much except for Universal Drive (I assume it gets super congested during holidays). Lacks proper downtown.
Notes: Way too many Ranch properties. Colonials are hard to come by. Natural gas is not easy to find.

Wallingford:
Pros: Cheapest of all the towns though not by much these days. Town has its own electric company.
Cons: People rave about Wallingford's downtown but 1-2 streets away it still looks drab.
Notes: Some people compare Wallingford to Milford. I just don't see it, IMO.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:11 AM

771 posts, read 1,849,219 times
I would go with Orange, but I have different priorities. I can see Wallingford fitting your wants. North Haven is reasonably priced, safe, and geographically “in the middle” of a lot of other things.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:26 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,071,372 times
$400k and no kids, I would just go with Wallingford and probably stay below your budget. $350k and under is a popular price point in central CT right now, and despite the naysayers I think that will continue to be the case for at least the next 5-8 years.

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

298 posts, read 274,150 times
Milford's The Corner Restaurant has just been voted one of the best brunch places in the country by Travel and Leisure and Yelp --the only CT brunch place to make the list.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/food...zotJJbkkpobAP4

Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

16,458 posts, read 22,910,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
Milford's The Corner Restaurant has just been voted one of the best brunch places in the country by Travel and Leisure and Yelp --the only CT brunch place to make the list.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/food...zotJJbkkpobAP4
Nice! Iíve never been - has anyone?

Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

18,374 posts, read 7,110,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Often. It is superb. Offbeat breakfast/brunch offerings.

Quaint.

Favor it in summer, as its tiny inside, so I prefer eating at tables on sidewalk.

Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM

15,284 posts, read 18,918,911 times
While this thread is bumped, the town just launched an excellent new site:

Discover Milford, Connecticut - A coastal village prime for work, life, and play.

Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

15,284 posts, read 18,918,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
We are regulars. Along with Bellaís itís my favorite brunch around.

But Seabreeze in Milford does brunches on special occasions that are amazing, but wish they did it more often!

Old Today, 08:47 AM

298 posts, read 274,150 times

Here is a beautiful shot of Milford from the blog Only in Connecticut

Last edited by lginlg; Today at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut