Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2019, 10:34 AM

898 posts, read 598,017 times

Advertisements

If you are striking, I just hope that you don't work at a store that will be eliminated. From where I live, I'm about 15 minutes from at least 6 stores. If two get closed it's no affect on me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 01:20 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I'm quite aware of the affiliation and differences between the companies. That being said, union contracts usually extend to expansion of the business which it has a contract with.
But when you have NO contract, there is nothing to extend.

By this time next year, I would bet a healthy chunk of the stores will be closed altogether. Having Stop & Shop on the resume btw will not be a good way to get hired at non-union retail, nor retail with less contentious unions, either.

I do not see a bright future for the % of the S & S workforce without the jobs they had one month ago, up the road, fairly soon.

There is no future for above Market Wage retail labor in large quantities.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:09 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Giant isn't on strike.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:46 PM

Heard today from an employee of another large retail chain, and they are going to be reducing hours tremendously, so much so that the people I know may not be with them for long. Worse still, other retailers they know, where they would get internal references, are either cutting back or under hiring freezes.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:01 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:

By this time next year, I would bet a healthy chunk of the stores will be closed altogether. Having Stop & Shop on the resume btw will not be a good way to get hired at non-union retail, nor retail with less contentious unions, either.

I do not see a bright future for the % of the S & S workforce without the jobs they had one month ago, up the road, fairly soon.

There is no future for above Market Wage retail labor in large quantities.

The parent company Ahold Delhaize can afford to pay employees higher wages and benefits. Their annual report which is here https://www.aholddelhaize.com/media/...nteractive.pdf

states on page 235

Share buyback On November 8, 2017, Ahold Delhaize announced it will return €2 billion to shareholders by means of a share buyback program, which was completed on December 20, 2018. An additional €1 billion share buyback program was announced on November 13, 2018, which is expected to be completed before the end of 2019.

Maintaining a balanced approach between funding growth in key channels and returning excess liquidity to shareholders is part of Ahold Delhaize’s financial framework to support our Leading Together strategy. The purpose of the program is to reduce Ahold Delhaize’s capital, by cancelling all or part of the common shares acquired through the program

Any company that engages in share buyback programs are figuratively and literally giving their employees the middle finger. Instead of giving front line employees raises they would rather enrich shareholders and executives. Share buybacks should be against the law IMO.

Also, on page 238 they show net income at the end of 2018 of 1,793,000,000 Euros which is approx 1,525,000,000 USD.

And remember Net income is after taxes are paid.

Crying poor mouth isn't going to work. If I was a member of the union I would be handing out copies of Ahold's annual reports. I would also be supplying them to the media.

I will never understand why people feel sorry for billion dollar multi national corporations and think the employees making $18 an hour are the leeches.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:23 PM

I expect the parent to do well for the shareholders who own the company.

I expect S & S jobs, like almost all retail jobs, to become as rare in the next few decades, as Horse and Buggy drivers these days.

I do not feel sorry for EITHER employees, or shareholders. Each will make their choices, and live with the results.

I am ok with the result, no matter how this plays out.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:50 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
When you read about the trigger for the strike - it’s pretty trite. Parent company is requesting $2-4 more per (weekly) pay cycle to cover healthcare costs. They’ve already agreed to continue time and a half on Sunday’s and the union’s request for higher compensation. Ridiculous.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:03 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
I expect the parent to do well for the shareholders who own the company.

I expect S & S jobs, like almost all retail jobs, to become as rare in the next few decades, as Horse and Buggy drivers these days.

I do not feel sorry for EITHER employees, or shareholders. Each will make their choices, and live with the results.

I am ok with the result, no matter how this plays out.

Same day online automated delivery will put most grocery stores out of business. It's just a question of when. $11 to 16/hour distribution center picker jobs just like Amazon. There will be jobs that are more difficult to automate like butcher that will pay better but it won't be at the back of the store.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:06 PM

7 posts, read 22,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Same day online automated delivery will put most grocery stores out of business. It's just a question of when. $11 to 16/hour distribution center picker jobs just like Amazon. There will be jobs that are more difficult to automate like butcher that will pay better but it won't be at the back of the store.
Artificial intelligence integrated with advanced robotics will easily surpass anything a human could accomplish in these jobs. It will take some time, but the wheels are already well in motion.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:43 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
But that already exists. Instacart delivers same day and uses most area grocery stores. Whole Foods now has a free same day delivery service.

Either people don't realize this or they are set in their grocery shopping routine and it will take a generation or two to fully eliminate brick and mortar grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut