U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 10:12 PM

25,665 posts, read 41,581,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
That list is 6 years old The first one is a race team, and the second is based out of MA (although they do come to CT for races).

Again, I'd check with a local bike shop in your area to see what clubs are in the area for the type of riding you are interested in. And just about every shop will host weekly group rides.
I doubt that the list has changed much since it was published. It also does not matter that one is a racing team or that the other is a group out of Massachusetts. It shows that there are several groups around the state which is what the OP asked for. They could be looking for a racing group for all we know.

I do agree that the OP should check with a local bike shop for groups. They did not indicate where they live so it is hard to be more specific. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM

692 posts, read 238,106 times
We made a trip from New Britain to New Hartford last weekend. Above Collinsville it became a swarm of cyclists. Fine. You like to ride your bike. I did too in the 70's. Yep, ape hangers, banana seat, sissy bar... My mom bought me a five speed one time. I was living large. But to see cyclists in their tight shorts and competition skin tight shirts, on their $5,000 carbon frame bikes that weigh 15# riding side by side getting passed by 2,000# pound plus cars going 50mph. Death wish? Making a person driving their car minding their own business liable when you swerve into their path to avoid a squirrel carcass or a twig. I just don't get the attraction.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

3,552 posts, read 2,082,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I doubt that the list has changed much since it was published. It also does not matter that one is a racing team or that the other is a group out of Massachusetts. It shows that there are several groups around the state which is what the OP asked for. They could be looking for a racing group for all we know.

I do agree that the OP should check with a local bike shop for groups. They did not indicate where they live so it is hard to be more specific. Jay
I've been in that industry for nearly 15 years, and yes the list has changed a lot since it was published. And the fact that one is a racing team does make a difference. It was a short list and removing two - the first two no less - for those reasons makes it shorter. If someone sent me that list and I was new to the area, I'd be frustrated to find the first 2 or 3 were worthless to me. I found another longer list, but even those aren't all valid so I didn't publish the link.

Someone who is looking for a race team wouldn't be asking those same questions (bike paths and scenic bike ways). Those are typically too crowded with pedestrians for serious race training.

It would be nice if the OP came back with more info. Otherwise it sounds like they are just taking info for a survey. I think I've heard there is an upcoming meeting on cycling in the Hartford area.

JimG - sheesh! I got nothin'... but 15 lbs is so 2010

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

692 posts, read 238,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I've been in that industry for nearly 15 years, and yes the list has changed a lot since it was published. And the fact that one is a racing team does make a difference. It was a short list and removing two - the first two no less - for those reasons makes it shorter. If someone sent me that list and I was new to the area, I'd be frustrated to find the first 2 or 3 were worthless to me. I found another longer list, but even those aren't all valid so I didn't publish the link.

Someone who is looking for a race team wouldn't be asking those same questions (bike paths and scenic bike ways). Those are typically too crowded with pedestrians for serious race training.

It would be nice if the OP came back with more info. Otherwise it sounds like they are just taking info for a survey. I think I've heard there is an upcoming meeting on cycling in the Hartford area.

JimG - sheesh! I got nothin'... but 15 lbs is so 2010

hahaha.... should I be talking ounces? I had a former boss who after trade in paid in excess of $6000 for a bicycle.... I was like "what?". But if I wanted more income the response was "sell more". This was like 8 years ago.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

3,552 posts, read 2,082,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
hahaha.... should I be talking ounces? I had a former boss who after trade in paid in excess of $6000 for a bicycle.... I was like "what?". But if I wanted more income the response was "sell more". This was like 8 years ago.
Grams my dear, it's all about the grams. If you're a weight weenie that is.

My bikes are pretty high end, but not at the top. I remember needing a new cassette and the lighter one was over $100 more (even at a discount) for just a few grams less. I looked at the next one down and decided I could pee before a race and accomplish the same thing without spending the extra $$

I know people who have spent over 10K on a bike. I love to ride but that's a LOT (to me).

The spandex however, is non-negotiable. You don't want to be flapping in the breeze!

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

13,204 posts, read 6,932,627 times
I’ve ridden around West Hartford a lot. You have to be really careful with route selection. Cars aren’t bicycle-aware. Bike lanes aren’t honored at all. I’ve had lots of near misses on the three marked bike loops. I ride the orange loop mostly. The bike path on the Farmington River is nice.

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

15,223 posts, read 18,776,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
We made a trip from New Britain to New Hartford last weekend. Above Collinsville it became a swarm of cyclists. Fine. You like to ride your bike. I did too in the 70's. Yep, ape hangers, banana seat, sissy bar... My mom bought me a five speed one time. I was living large. But to see cyclists in their tight shorts and competition skin tight shirts, on their $5,000 carbon frame bikes that weigh 15# riding side by side getting passed by 2,000# pound plus cars going 50mph. Death wish? Making a person driving their car minding their own business liable when you swerve into their path to avoid a squirrel carcass or a twig. I just don't get the attraction.
Road biking always freaked me out. I ride my bike around the coast in Milford where traffic is fairly slow (or non-existent on side roads) and there's a lot of sidewalks to hop onto. Otherwise I just stick to mountain biking.

Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

1,368 posts, read 1,052,093 times
Making a person driving their car minding their own business liable when you swerve into their path to avoid a squirrel carcass or a twig. I just don't get the attraction.

If you are following the rules of the road, a swerving cyclist is not going to have that impact. 3 feet of leeway is the law, a carcass is a few inches wide and isn't going to cause a crash. If you can't pass safely just wait 30 seconds or so until you can, it is nbd.

Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

8,970 posts, read 14,635,139 times
I don't know if this means much about biking in CT but the famed upscale Cannondale bike company is founded and still HQ'd in Wilton (named for the neighborhood of the same name).

Old Today, 11:56 AM

4,518 posts, read 1,678,559 times
CT does not provide as many off road bike trail options as adjoining MA and RI. I have biked much of the best in the state - the Farmington Canal Trail. There are however not many other trails in the state comparable to it from what I am aware. There are some scattered small trails that are nice but far too short for serious biking. Would like to see the Quinebaug Trail in eastern Ct lengthened.

There are many approx 10 mile+ trails in MA - Norwottuck, Northampton, Ashuwillticook Rail Trail, Nashua River trail, Freeman trail, Minuteman trail, Cape Cod Canal, Shining Sea, and Cape Cod Rail trail. I have done all but the Freeman. RI has four very nice trails in Eastbay Bike Trail, Washington Secondary (which ends new CT line), Blackstone River trail, and South County O'Neill Trail.

The top four New England off road paved trails I have done are Eastbay Trail (RI), Shining Sea Trail (MA), Island Rail Trail (VT), and Blackstone River trail (RI). All for large portions follow bodies of water.

Last edited by MMS02760; Today at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut