U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM

3 posts, read 2,575 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I know there are a lot of threads like this but I need advice since we are 5 hours away and our ability to area hunt in CT is limited to weekends. our own house is already sold and I am panicking. We believe we want to live in Guilford. Although itís not as racially diverse as we would like to see, we understand itís a liberal and accepting sort of town. Schools are great, drug use is lower than surrounding areas and in general, people love living there. However, we are not finding a house we love, our budget is under 400k so I know itís not easy. But the question is this...would you buy a small fixer upper in Guilford? Or buy in Branford or Milford instead? Madison has a lot to offer but I hear people are snobby and drug use is high, also more republican\conservative which is not our scene. Thoughts please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM

69 posts, read 74,769 times
If being conservative is not your thing, you will love CT. You really need to supply more info about size of your family, where you will be working, how you feel about commuting. Guilford is a great town with good schools but you will probably do a lot of driving. With tolling likely to proceed in this state, you will soon be paying dearly for that privilege.

Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,770,669 times
Iím curious to hear how you came up with the idea that drug use is high in Madison but low in Guilford. I think you need to paint less with a broad brush as there isnít much of a difference between the people in Guilford and Madison. 400k in both towns will get you much better than a fixer upper.

Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM

25,666 posts, read 41,581,558 times
As someone who has lived through a major renovation/expansion after swearing they would never do it, I would caution you about buying a smaller older home and then renovating after you move in. It is not easy and would mean several months of living in a construction zone. I would not recommend it but that is just me. It is expensive (always more than you think) and messy so I personally would avoid it if at all possible.

That said, location is everything in real estate. If you want Guilford, then look in Guilford. You will not be happy if that is the town you had your heart set on.

I am also wondering if you have considered Branford? It is a beautiful town with a more diverse population. Schools there perform well but not quite as well as neighboring Guilford or Madison. That does not mean they are not good though. Because it is more diverse, it has more students that come from homes where English is a second language or where education is not a top priority. That makes a difference in test scores but does not mean that is what your kids will experience. Plus too they will be exposed to a wider range of students from different backgrounds which can be a good lesson for your children. Good luck with your search. Jay

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

762 posts, read 1,838,492 times
Will you need to commute to somewhere?

If you have steady income, why not rent in Guilford or Branford for a year while you hunt for houses? That has always made sense to me, and I don’t know why more people don’t do it.

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

25,666 posts, read 41,581,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post

If you have steady income, why not rent in Guilford or Branford for a year while you hunt for houses? That has always made sense to me, and I donít know why more people donít do it.
People donít want to move twice which can be expensive. They also donít want to uproot their kids more than they have to. Jay

Old Today, 08:01 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,770,669 times
Quote:

If you have steady income, why not rent in Guilford or Branford for a year while you hunt for houses? That has always made sense to me, and I donít know why more people donít do it.
I agree with this. Even though moving can be pricey, they can do what we did. Put most things in storage for a few months and only have necessities in our unit. That way youíre not packing/unpacking twice. It is a pain but very worth it to get a feel for the area, especially if youíre not familiar with the communities.

Old Today, 08:20 AM

15,224 posts, read 18,776,382 times
Work location is an important factor.

Madison is a bit more preppy/WASPy/"upscale"-feeling than Guilford (I've jokingly referred to it as East Westport), but otherwise they are very similar communities in almost every measurable way.

Old Today, 10:07 AM

762 posts, read 1,838,492 times
Madison went to Bush/Cheney in 2004 while surrounding towns went to Kerry/Edwards, which is at least some small amount of evidence that it is more conservative. I always had the impression growing up in Guilford that Madison was less culturally tied to New Haven and Yale, which also makes sense geographically. Branford and Guilford have a lot of commuters to New Haven (Madison does too, but probably fewer).

Old Today, 11:01 AM

263 posts, read 162,800 times
Quote:
Madison went to Bush/Cheney in 2004 while surrounding towns went to Kerry/Edwards, which is at least some small amount of evidence that it is more conservative. I always had the impression growing up in Guilford that Madison was less culturally tied to New Haven and Yale, which also makes sense geographically. Branford and Guilford have a lot of commuters to New Haven (Madison does too, but probably fewer).
Agree with this observation. Guilford has more ties with Yale/New Haven. Other than that, Madison/Guilford are quite similar towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or