Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 02:00 PM

717 posts, read 452,728 times

Advertisements

I thought we were so bad on crime taxes economy weather?

Well...
From Connecticut, Wikipedia

As of the 2010 Census, it has the highest per-capita income, Human Development Index (0.962), and median household income in the United States.[12][1

Despite Connecticut's relatively small size, it features wide regional variations in its landscape; for example, in the northwestern Litchfield Hills, it features rolling mountains and horse farms, whereas in areas to the east of New Haven along the coast, the landscape features coastal marshes, beaches, and large scale maritime activities.

Further information: List of Connecticut rivers
Connecticut's rural areas and small towns in the northeast and northwest corners of the state contrast sharply with its industrial cities such as Stamford, Bridgeport, and New Haven, located along the coastal highways from the New York border to New London, then northward up the Connecticut River to Hartford. Many towns in northeastern and northwestern Connecticut center around a green, such as the Litchfield Green, Lebanon Green (the largest in the state), and Wethersfield Green (the oldest in the state). Near the green typically stand historical visual symbols of New England towns, such as a white church, a colonial meeting house, a colonial tavern or inn, several colonial houses, and so on, establishing a scenic historical appearance maintained for both historic preservation and tourism

Old 04-20-2019, 02:10 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post

Well...

As of the 2010 Census, it has the highest per-capita income, Human Development Index (0.962), and median household income in the United States.[12][1

Despite Connecticut's relatively small size, it features wide regional variations in its landscape; for example, in the northwestern Litchfield Hills, it features rolling mountains and horse farms, whereas in areas to the east of New Haven along the coast, the landscape features coastal marshes, beaches, and large scale maritime activities.

Connecticut's rural areas and small towns in the northeast and northwest corners of the state contrast sharply with its industrial cities such as Stamford, Bridgeport, and New Haven, located along the coastal highways from the New York border to New London, then northward up the Connecticut River to Hartford. Many towns in northeastern and northwestern Connecticut center around a green, such as the Litchfield Green, Lebanon Green (the largest in the state), and Wethersfield Green (the oldest in the state). Near the green typically stand historical visual symbols of New England towns, such as a white church, a colonial meeting house, a colonial tavern or inn, several colonial houses, and so on, establishing a scenic historical appearance maintained for both historic preservation and tourism

The old saying "misery loves company" applies to this forum. IMO this forum is full of complainers, haters, libertarians, etc and is a very small minority of CT's population.

The rest of CT;s population is out enjoying life and don't have time to whine and complain on an internet forum.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:30 PM

982 posts, read 599,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The old saying "misery loves company" applies to this forum. IMO this forum is full of complainers, haters, libertarians, etc and is a very small minority of CT's population.

The rest of CT;s population is out enjoying life and don't have time to whine and complain on an internet forum.
Exactly. I love the state and also think it's beautiful. Others think the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNC5x5RI2Xg

(4:31 mentions CT) This guy, who's never lived in CT, places it in the top half of the US states and says "it has some of the best landscapes in the country."

I'd agree.

Take a look at these:
https://imgur.com/gallery/vqh8SY3

Old 04-20-2019, 02:46 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

I don’t agree and think this forum is a microcosm of the greater population.

An unscientific WFSB poll today showed that 8.5 out of 10 residents are unhappy with the current leadership. And to be frank, the majority of my CT acquaintances, of which there are well over 1,000 on my social media alone, aren’t thrilled either.

People are making statements with their feet and I’m curious to see what the next census reveals.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:53 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
I dont see where it says anything about crime or taxes or weather. Reads more like a fluff piece, where all its talking about is per capita income (what without the cost of living means nothing), and landscape. If thats the only thing they can find good about the state, it pretty much says it all.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:25 PM

385 posts, read 363,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post

Well...

This is right from Wikipedia:

"Is Wikipedia reliable?
Wikipedia is not a reliable source. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone at any time. This means that any information it contains at any particular time could be vandalism, a work in progress, or just plain wrong. ... Wikipedia generally uses reliable secondary sources, which vet data from primary sources."

Old 04-20-2019, 04:56 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I dont see where it says anything about crime or taxes or weather. Reads more like a fluff piece, where all its talking about is per capita income (what without the cost of living means nothing), and landscape. If thats the only thing they can find good about the state, it pretty much says it all.
Well you need to keep in mind that Wikipedia doesn’t address temporary things like economic conditions. CT’s economic difficulties are temporary, and fairly recent, so I’m not sure why anyone would expect these things to be addressed on a Wikipedia page.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:26 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

An unscientific WFSB poll today showed that 8.5 out of 10 residents are unhappy with the current leadership. And to be frank, the majority of my CT acquaintances, of which there are well over 1,000 on my social media alone, aren’t thrilled either.

People are making statements with their feet and I’m curious to see what the next census reveals.
Sorry but I agree with MrGompers. This forum hardly represents what most state residents feel. I watched Channel 3 news this morning but must have missed this poll and I can’t find any mention of a poll on the WFSB website so it is hard to comment on it or what it said. Jay

Old 04-20-2019, 05:42 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:

I agree. Read today 2018 vs 2017, NY state personal tax collections were down 6.6%. NJ suffered the same fate when they hammered the productive with too much taxation. I hope NY is not a Ct preview, but what these states have in common is excessive taxation w/o any semblance of cost control.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:09 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:

1,000 people complaining on facebook out of 3.5 million CT residents doesn't mean anything. Its statistically insignificant.

This forum does not reflect the majority of CT residents. Its the same 10 complainers here every day and it has driven away a lot of good posters.

I stay for LOL's - some of the stuff you complainers come up with is hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut