U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 07:21 PM

10 posts, read 1,953 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We recently moved from CA, looking to buy a home in CT, and originally were looking at West Hartford and Southeast of Hartford areas such as Farmington, Wethersfield, Newington, Glastonbury, etc, but due to the high home prices and high property taxes, I am now considering South Windsor in our search as well since the housing prices are more in our range for a single Mom who works remotely ($180-200k), and I've seen some lower property taxes as well.

If you have any feedback at all on South Windsor on the pros/cons of living there, best neighborhoods to check out, things to do, etc, it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 07:28 PM

16,393 posts, read 22,803,464 times
I donít know South Windsor incredibly well, but from what I do know and have seen, itís a nice community with good schools. Itís also pretty close to amenities. Itís a good alternative to Glastonbury.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:12 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,927,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfrances9 View Post
Hello,

We recently moved from CA, looking to buy a home in CT, and originally were looking at West Hartford and Southeast of Hartford areas such as Farmington, Wethersfield, Newington, Glastonbury, etc, but due to the high home prices and high property taxes, I am now considering South Windsor in our search as well since the housing prices are more in our range for a single Mom who works remotely ($180-200k), and I've seen some lower property taxes as well.

If you have any feedback at all on South Windsor on the pros/cons of living there, best neighborhoods to check out, things to do, etc, it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Out of your list Newington would have the lowest average home prices. Newington and Farmington have fairly low property tax rates (for the Hartford area). South Windsor's taxes are very similar, so if you think Newington and Farmington have high taxes there isn't much hope for you in Hartford county.

If your decision is being driven by property taxes you'll have to look in more rural areas like Tolland and Windham counties.

If you are just looking for somewhat lower property taxes you can add Rocky Hill, Cromwell, Berlin, and the aforementioned Newington and Farmington.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:37 PM

25,707 posts, read 41,640,871 times
South Windsor is a very nice town. I would say it is one of the nicest towns east of the Connecticut River. It is more suburban in character than West Hartford and lacks a walkable town center but it offers a lot for families. I am not sure what you will get for your budget there but certainly if you find something you like, I would not hesitate to buy there. Good luck, Jay

Old 04-20-2019, 11:00 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,161,059 times
They’re rebuilding pretty much all their elementary schools. Schools are fantastic but taxes are higher than most town surrounding it. Crime is low. Close proximity to all the major highway without having any traveling through it.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:50 PM

10 posts, read 1,953 times
It is interesting because I am getting the same impression from other online reviews on South Windsor, so it sounds like a good place to check out. And yes, I was just thinking about how it does not seem to have a walkable town center, which is a bummer because that would be a nice addition, but it's not as essential as finding a good neighborhood and things for my daughter and I to do.

Farmington by far is my most favorite choice and if I could find a house in our price range there, I'd buy it in a heart beat. Seems like others think the same thing and never move, so the inventory is a lot smaller for sure.

Thank you everyone for your input on South Windsor. We'll be visiting the area this weekend so I can get a better visual to go with the reviews.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,096,160 times
That's funny, I know South Windsor fairly well, but I can't place an actual "town center". Is there one?

East Hartford, Manchester, Glastonbury, East Windsor, Windsor - yes. I am stumped on South Windsor. Maybe the area of 30 & 194?

Old 04-22-2019, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 125 times
They have Beavers in South Windsor. They create problems in some areas.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:44 PM

108 posts, read 40,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
That's funny, I know South Windsor fairly well, but I can't place an actual "town center". Is there one?

East Hartford, Manchester, Glastonbury, East Windsor, Windsor - yes. I am stumped on South Windsor. Maybe the area of 30 & 194?
I would agree with you. That area feels like the town center with banks, grocery store, library, post office, etc.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:16 PM

25,707 posts, read 41,640,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
I would agree with you. That area feels like the town center with banks, grocery store, library, post office, etc.
Yes, that is what I consider to be the business center of town too, but 1Main Street is the historical center of South Windsor with many historic old homes and public buildings. It is a beautiful area. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or