Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:58 AM

52 posts, read 175,934 times

Advertisements

One of the things that I love about skytrekker's posts is the fact that he always has the statistics ready. Statistics do not lie, they are not opinions but hard core facts. You know what they say about oipinions-it's true. With the facts in front of you, the best idea would be to come here for a visit and come up with your own opinion based on the facts. We will welcome you and your family with open arms! Personally, I love CT, although I haven't traveled much of the country. When I think of Kansas I become fearful thinking about the number of tornados there. That might be a vast generalization and maybe I was tramatized as a child by the Wizard of Oz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 07:05 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,959,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliangel View Post
One of the things that I love about skytrekker's posts is the fact that he always has the statistics ready. Statistics do not lie, they are not opinions but hard core facts. You know what they say about oipinions-it's true. With the facts in front of you, the best idea would be to come here for a visit and come up with your own opinion based on the facts. We will welcome you and your family with open arms! Personally, I love CT, although I haven't traveled much of the country. When I think of Kansas I become fearful thinking about the number of tornados there. That might be a vast generalization and maybe I was tramatized as a child by the Wizard of Oz.
I try and give objective hard facts Julia- and mix in other more subjective variables like culture and aesthetics- thanks for the compliments. Pete

Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 AM

34,634 posts, read 56,360,262 times
Good morning - I have to disagree with and even question some of the things that nmjg12 says. They said that their friends got a job making double of what they made in Chicago and could not make it here in CT. Come on now, that does not seem realistic. Even if they moved to Stamford (the most expensive part of the state) I find it highly unlikely that the cost of living was more than double that of Chicago. The cost of living difference is about 30% more in Stamford not over 100%. Secondly, if nmjg12 is talking about Stamford (which by the way is one of the priciest suburban areas outside New York), it has nothing to do with the cost of living in greater Hartford which is much less.

The cost of living in Connecticut would be about 25% more than Kansas though which means even with your raise your standard of living should remain about the same. There are many great places to live near East Hartford. Neighboring Glastonbury is a wonderful which has a lot of Pratt & Whitney employees living there (if it is Pratt that you will be working for). There is a wide range of housing options here and there is a lot of shopping, restaurant and entertainment options available in town or nearby. You could live comfortably but not extravagantly on the salary here. As others noted the area has a lot to offer culturally and there is a lot to see and do nearby. Plus you will be near New York and Boston which are wonderful to visit.

There are other towns in CT that may suit you as well. If you give us some more information on what you are looking for, we can help you find a town that suits you. Hope this helps, Jay

Old 04-14-2008, 09:38 AM

311 posts, read 1,818,779 times
To the OP - i think it depends on what you mean by you not wanting to "degrade your current standard of living"? Are you looking for an upscale environment? Or are you okay with a town that is not considered upscale? If you plan to have children in the future, that would also play a role in where you may end up being happy in CT. More info would be helpful. Regardless, I would choose to stay east of the CT river if your job will be in EH. Thanks

Old 04-14-2008, 10:24 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,829,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
You need to do some serious research on housing costs-I think that will be the biggest variable to consider. I don't know the housing costs in Wichita, you should research the kind of house you have (or would expect to raise your family in) in Wichita vs. the same sort of house here. Property taxes are quite high, so you have to take that into consideration.

A few posters above mentioned some very nice suburbs-be aware that homes there may cost much more than the 'averages' they also mention. But, depending on what is comfortable for you, you might could find something.

I think you should make a trip here and maybe go around with a realtor. CT is, indeed, close to many neat places-NYC, Boston, beaches, ect-and is quite pretty. In my experience, housing costs are the biggest variable. If you have that under control, it might work out.
ITA with this. And if the housing costs that skytrekker posted are correct, then housing here is twice as high than in Wichita. You could easily live on 150k, but it might not be the same standard of living you currently enjoy. We have relatives from Oklahoma, just over the Kansas border that come visit us every year, and they are just shocked at the high cost of living here. I think you really need to come up for a visit to see for yourself what Connecticut has to offer you.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:49 AM

539 posts, read 2,094,340 times
I pulled up a cost of living calculator that I used when we were relocating.

Cost of Living Indexes Wichita, Kansas vs. Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, Connecticut

The first number is for Wichita, the second number is the Hartford area and the last is the nation as a whole

Overall 77 105 100
Food 96 115 100
Housing 38 95 100
Utilities 105 116 100
Transportation 94 108 100
Health 101 111 100
Miscellaneous 100 106 100

The site states that CT is 36.4% more expensive to live in than Wichita, KS. Put another way, if you are earning $100,000 in Wichita then you would need a salary of $136,364 to keep the same standard of living. I can't post the site as I was told it is a competing site but if you would like it please feel free to send me a DM.

Hope this info was helpful and best wishes

Old 04-14-2008, 10:55 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,959,184 times
The costs will be higher in greater Hartford compared to Wichita-no doubt about that. But then again the differences between Hartford and Wichita are too numerous To elaborate on.

is Wichita close to the Ocean? within an 1.5 -2 hours of NYC or Boston? Are there mountains nearby? What metro area has the possibility of real estate appreciating in the future. And climate change- the lower great plains and southwest are facing drought and increasing temperatures. Wichita is far from the moderating influences of the Ocean.

Another intangible- what area is progressive in the life sciences and biotechnology and is at the forefront of social change?

No matter what anyone thinks- the amount of brainpower between Washington DC and Boston is enormous. This is still one of the preeminent places to live on the Planet.

Last edited by skytrekker; 04-14-2008 at 11:07 AM..

Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 AM

23 posts, read 57,590 times
Wow. Thanks for the replies. I actually visited the area for the interview (btw, it is with UTRC) and hoping they will make me an offer (not sure though). I like the job, but I did not get any chance to really research the local cost of living. I do not think I can get more than $135k and that might also not be possible without negotiations. However, UTRC indicated that they will be agressive about hiring as they are missing out on good candidates because of the higher cost of living. My concerns are this:

1. Job security about the new job with UTC (I currently work for general aviation industry; Wichita has a lot of those and the market is good)

2. Cost of housing

3. I am doing well in my job, but do like this opportunity. However I am not desparate for a job change. This opportunity just came by.

How much would it be to rent a small home in a OK neighborhood for the short term while I scope the housing market out.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 AM

639 posts, read 2,699,829 times
100k living in the Hartford region is plenty, plenty, plenty. Geez, we are not talking about NYC or San Francisco here.

It may cost more to live in Connecticut over Kansas, but you get what you pay for. Do you have beaches, mountains, and major cities all less than 2 hours from you in Kansas?

You could rent a great condo downtown in a new building for less than $2,000 a month. A nice home in West Hartford or Glastonbury will probaby run you $1500-$2000 a month.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:47 AM

6,294 posts, read 10,996,614 times
audiophile. Since you prefer to stay east of the river you might try South Windsor or Glastonbury. If you prefer a more rural community try Hebron, Andover or Marlboro. You can find a nice home to rent for about $2,000 a month, perhaps a bit less.

Before making the move be sure the position is going to be around for a while. Job security should be your top priority right now especially with the economy starting to fail. You'd be better off in Wichita if the job is going to be secure, even in a serious recession vs. taking the job in Hartford only to find it might be gone in two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut