Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 AM

30 posts, read 200,465 times

Advertisements

Going to New Haven for dinner on Saturday night with 4 people, none who have ever eaten in New Haven. Looking for some feedback on the best Italian place in town.

So far the places recomended are Basta, Lorcio and Tre Scalini.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 07:50 AM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Check the New England Boards on Chowhound.com for recommendations. There are always posts there on restaurants in New Haven. Jay

Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 AM

271 posts, read 1,278,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new to CT View Post
Going to New Haven for dinner on Saturday night with 4 people, none who have ever eaten in New Haven. Looking for some feedback on the best Italian place in town.

So far the places recomended are Basta, Lorcio and Tre Scalini.

Thanks!!
My vote is for L'orcio's.

The chef/owner is from Italy and worked in the kitchen of a 5 star resort in Florence for many years.

L'Orcio Italian Food & Drink - New Haven Connecticut (http://www.lorcio.com/history.php - broken link)

Old 04-14-2008, 02:13 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,383 times
Default New place (Italian)

Here's a review of a new Italian place in the downtown area (Temple and Crown):

Marius - New Haven, CT 06510

Old 04-14-2008, 03:08 PM

639 posts, read 2,710,416 times
Forget going to dinner, go get famous New Haven pizza at Modern Pizza, Pepes, or Sally's. My vote goes to Modern!!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:22 PM

172 posts, read 577,631 times
Modern and Sally's are awesome.
For a nicer restaurant though, I vote Tre Scallini

Old 04-14-2008, 05:05 PM

104 posts, read 387,664 times
You guys are making me hungry and I am in Limerick, Maine where there is no decent Italian food close by.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:31 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,383 times
I've never been to Tre Scalini (Tre Scalini Ristorante Italian Restaurant in New Haven, Ct. - Menus), but have heard good things. Recently, I shopped their menu in the window, and it looks good but much less expensive than I thought. If your friends are really into Italian food, you should take them to Wooster Street ("Little Italy" -- Sally's or Pepe's for pizza, Libby's Italian Pastry Shop for dessert/flavored coffee, Tre Scalini or Consiglio's for a multi-course dinner). Consiglio's (CONSIGLIO'S - ITALIAN RESTAURANT - New Haven, Connecticut) is another place on Wooster Street that I haven't heard anything about, but it's been there since the 1930s, so there's probably something good about it. Abate's is a delivery place -- kind of like Wooster Street's answer to fast food. Be careful, because their delivery driver pulls out going the wrong way down the one-way street. They make road pizza too

If you want the best restaurant in New Haven (not necessarily Italian), go with Union League Cafe (French, wonderful experience, expensive). Ibiza (Spanish food) is supposed to be great, too. Wooster Street and Modern Apizza (State St.) are the best pizza anywhere, but not exactly multi-course meals unless you count going to Libby's for canolis afterwards.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:00 PM

37 posts, read 112,537 times
My vote is for Consiglio's. I took my parents there when they came to visit. Yes, it is a little pricey but the portions are so gigantic. Definitely get the calamari...it is cooked with a spicy marinara- I've never had anything like it anywhere and it is just fantastic! The 4 of us shared one order of the calamari, a bottle of wine and each had our own meal. We left absolutely stuffed with over half of our entrees left on the plate to take home! My dad from Iowa loved the authenic "Eye-talian food". (was just a LITTLE embarassed when he said that out loud!)

I just checked the website and it was Tre Scalani we were at, not Consiglio's. We tried to get into Consiglio's but there were no reservations left. Tre Scalani was awesome. If you go, you HAVE to get that calamari (CALAMARETTI FRITTI CON SALSA ARRABIATA
Fried calamari served with a spicy pomodoro sauce)

Last edited by activemom; 04-14-2008 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Wrong restaurant name!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:40 PM

49 posts, read 200,066 times
if you're going for something fancy, I totally have to go with Consiglios. it's so good.

if you're ok with something casual go for Pepe's pizza. I have family that moved from CT to FL and whenever they come back up we always have to hit Wooster Street to get Pepe's pizza then walk over to Libby's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut