Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 12:57 PM

156 posts, read 303,750 times

Advertisements

We live on Long Island and are considering the move to Newtown CT. We would like to send our kids to a Waldorf school and the only one near us is over and hour and a half away. We found one right in Newtown CT, and the houses are in our price range. I’m researching the area and it seems to be perfect for our small family. I’d love to hear what you love about the area and what maybe you’d like to see different. Is there water nearby? Is it challenging to get an Elementary teaching job in the public schools? (I’m a teacher). Does anyone else send their kids to the Waldorf school in the area ? What does everyone do for family fun? Another important reason for us relocating is the ability to use a religious exemption for schools. The rights for this were taken away in NY, and I’m having a hard time finding a teaching position in addition. Looking for Any and all info you’d like to share . Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 05:07 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp3530 View Post
We live on Long Island and are considering the move to Newtown CT. We would like to send our kids to a Waldorf school and the only one near us is over and hour and a half away. We found one right in Newtown CT, and the houses are in our price range. I’m researching the area and it seems to be perfect for our small family. I’d love to hear what you love about the area and what maybe you’d like to see different. Is there water nearby? Is it challenging to get an Elementary teaching job in the public schools? (I’m a teacher). Does anyone else send their kids to the Waldorf school in the area ? What does everyone do for family fun? Another important reason for us relocating is the ability to use a religious exemption for schools. The rights for this were taken away in NY, and I’m having a hard time finding a teaching position in addition. Looking for Any and all info you’d like to share. Thanks
My brother lived in Newtown for many years as well as friends. My mom lives in Monroe and I live in Trumbull. I work a few days in Newtown also. I know the area pretty well.

It is a REALLY nice town. My brother lived in the very northern part of Newtown. I know my brother would go to Danbury to shop at the mall and big box stores. If you live in the more southern part of Newtown you would likely be shopping in Monroe on Routes 25 and 111.

For water there is Lake Zoar. I know there is a boat launch in Sandy Hook. I also have a friend that lived on Alpine Drive and that community has a little beach area. It might be private though. Here is a house for sale in that area so you can get a idea of the area.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_29814172
Then there is is Candlewood Lake. Newtown does not border Candlewood lake so I don't know if you can have access to it being a resident of Newtown. I grew in Stamford and when we skipped school we would go up to Squantz Pond (and Sherwood Island State Park in Westport lol*). I do know you can go there. The link below is good to see all the things you can do in CT and the Newtown area.
Squantz Pond State Park | Visit CT

If you live in the southern part of Newtown there is Wolfe Park in Monroe and it has Hollow Lake. I get a pass because it is only 10 minutes from my house and my mom is right down the street. There is a nice little beach at the lake and a pool in another area. There is a walking/running path around the lake also that is covered with trees. It is a very nice walk/run. You can also put non motorized boats in the Hollow Lake.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/William-...=page_internal
http://www.monroerec.org/info/activi...rogramID=29674

You should be able to get a teaching job. I know a lot of teachers in the area. If you can't find a full time job a lot of people I know are subs and they work a lot. When a full time position opens up they get the full time job. I know a lot of moms who like the freedom and they stay substitutes.

Welcome to CT and Good Luck!

*We were full of shenanigans but we had a good time.

Last edited by CTartist; 08-01-2019 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 05:44 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
My brother lived in Newtown for many years as well as friends. My mom lives in Monroe and I live in Trumbull. I work a few days in Newtown also. I know the area pretty well.

It is a REALLY nice town. My brother lived in the very northern part of Newtown. I know my brother would go to Danbury to shop at the mall and big box stores. If you live in the more southern part of Newtown you would likely be shopping in Monroe on Routes 25 and 111.

For water there is Lake Zoar. I know there is a boat launch in Sandy Hook. I also have a friend that lived on Alpine Drive and that community has a little beach area. It might be private though. Here is a house for sale in that area so you can get a idea of the area.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_29814172
Then there is is Candlewood Lake. Newtown does not border Candlewood lake so I don't know if you can have access to it being a resident of Newtown. I grew in Stamford and when we skipped school we would go up to Squantz Pond (and Sherwood Island State Park in Westport lol*). I do know you can go there. The link below is good to see all the things you can do in CT and the Newtown area.
Squantz Pond State Park | Visit CT

If you live in the southern part of Newtown there is Wolfe Park in Monroe and it has Hollow Lake. I get a pass because it is only 10 minutes from my house and my mom is right down the street. There is a nice little beach at the lake and a pool in another area. There is a walking/running path around the lake also that is covered with trees. It is a very nice walk/run. You can also put non motorized boats in the Hollow Lake.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/William-...=page_internal
Monroe Parks and Recreation Department: Activity Details

You should be able to get a teaching job. I know a lot of teachers in the area. If you can't find a full time job a lot of people I know are subs and they work a lot. When a full time position opens up they get the full time job. I know a lot of moms who like the freedom and they stay substitutes.

Welcome to CT and Good Luck!

*We were full of shenanigans but we had a good time.
Good info. I do believe though to access both Wolfe Park and Great Hollow Lake you have to be a Monroe town resident/have a window sticker.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:41 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Good info. I do believe though to access both Wolfe Park and Great Hollow Lake you have to be a Monroe town resident/have a window sticker.
I live in Trumbull and I buy the pass. I put up the link with the rates. Do you see where it has "R" and "NR" after the fees. That stands for Resident and Non-Resident. It is double for non-residents but I feel it is worth it. The town got funds from the state to make Wolfe Park (I'm about 99% sure that is the reason) so they have to offer it to non-residents too.

Monroe Parks and Recreation Department: Activity Details

Old 08-02-2019, 07:27 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
For shoreline access, Newtown is about 30-40 minutes to Silver Sands State Park (which is connected to a great Milford town beach, Walnut Beach) and 35-45 to Sherwood Island. All CT residents can access those parks for free. Time to get there depends on where you live in Newtown as it's a fairly big town.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:57 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
For shoreline access, Newtown is about 30-40 minutes to Silver Sands State Park (which is connected to a great Milford town beach, Walnut Beach) and 35-45 to Sherwood Island. All CT residents can access those parks for free. Time to get there depends on where you live in Newtown as it's a fairly big town.
I was going to say that if the OP wants to be near Long Island Sound beaches, Newtown would not be a good option. As you note, beaches on the Sound are kind of far. There are a few lakes around (Zoar, Candlewood, Lillinoah) but they have limited access. If the OP wants easy access to the shore they might want to look at towns a little closer. Monroe, Trumbull and Shelton come to mind. Jay

Old 08-02-2019, 09:59 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
OP, one thing you should know about the area is that can't-get-there-from-here is a real phenomenon. Newtown is a large town, the Waldorf school is in the far western part of Newtown, actually a stones throw from Bethel, which itself borders Danbury. There are limited through roads in the area and most of them are 2 lane country roads. Traveling there would be a bit of a hike from Monroe, more so from Trumbull. I think you would probably want to focus on the northern/western side of Newtown if you are interested in lake access alongside school access. You should definitely spend some time traveling through the area to get a sense of the overall flow and location of things you will need to access.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:13 AM

Thank you so much for all of this great information. I have been looking at the map, and in between what I found as Eichler's Cove and the Waldorf school may be the best spot, so we can be close to both. No one mentioned Eichler's Cove?

Old 08-06-2019, 11:17 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Just keep in mind these are not very good swimming beaches. The water is... less than great and the “beaches” are not much. Good for boating and that’s about it. Unless you’re really into boating I would live closer to the school. Given its location you could also look at Bethel and Redding. All great towns.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:19 AM

Wolf Park and Great Hollow Lake seem close enough as well for a day trip. I think we would definitely want to be in the area closest to water access, but definitely more so, so my son can take the bus to school. Can you tell me what elementary schools are near this area?
Also, so Trumbull, Monroe, etc are town within Newtown or in addition to Newtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut