Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 03:16 PM

15 posts, read 23,675 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

DH & I are a couple in our 30s with an infant daughter, hoping to have another child in another year or two. We are born and bred New Yorkers- Long Island & NYC. We love it here- but the cost of living, the traffic, congestion, noise, etc. We think it's time to leave. Initially, we wanted to leave the tri state area entirely. In a perfect world, that is still our goal. However, I am beginning to worry that we won't find what we are looking for down south or further west. Our desires-
-highly educated population with excellent public schools & enrichment programs
-community events, lots of families, down to earth
-safe and friendly
-close to culture- theatre/music/museums
-800k budget- 3 bedroom house with large yard
- ethnic food options- more than just your typical Applebee's type restaurants
- active Catholic parish

I feel that, like NY, people are leaving CT in droves. But DH feels like we shouldn't count it out just yet. So far I have posted on the Colorado forum, and will post on some of the southern state forums as well. I am a teacher, and DH is in finance, so we can live anywhere.
We have researched a bit, and we like Guilford/Madison, Avon/Farmington/Simsbury, Newtown/Monroe/New Fairfield. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 03:39 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
If being near culture is important and you want a slice of what you like about NYC, I would focus on the New Haven area. New Haven is easily the cultural (and food) capital of CT, with more cultural outlets than any other city. It’s a really vibrant college town. Some towns to look at with top tier schools include Orange, Woodbridge, Guilford, and Madison. Second tier schools, still very good, can be found in Branford, Milford, North Haven. All of these towns have different amenities and vibes, so some research is in order.

My second choice would be the Hartford area. Lots of very nice suburbs. West Hartford has high taxes but offers a lot: a vibrant downtown and excellent schools.

Personally, I think you’d get bored in the Danbury area if things like culture, museums, music are important.

Last edited by Stylo; 09-15-2019 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 04:18 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,032 times
Your description makes me think Ridgefield or Fairfield. You said you have a love of NY, but want a quiet, safe, and friendly community. Ridgefield and Fairfield are nearer to NYC than the other areas you mention, so you have some of the cultural influence you may be looking for -- and can catch a train into the city fairly easily. They have excellent schools, community, amenities, etc. "Friendly" is subjective, but I think compared to NYC, just about anyplace is friendly. Either Ridgefield or Fairfield would fit the bill very well. The other areas you describe are farther from the action than you might like and you might find they would be more of an adjustment.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:50 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times
Teachers make more the closer to Ny here in general. If you want to keep a job in NYC then closer is best. Nowadays you might even find something in Westport for that amount.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:23 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensMom147 View Post
Hi there!

DH & I are a couple in our 30s with an infant daughter, hoping to have another child in another year or two. We are born and bred New Yorkers- Long Island & NYC. We love it here- but the cost of living, the traffic, congestion, noise, etc. We think it's time to leave. Initially, we wanted to leave the tri state area entirely. In a perfect world, that is still our goal. However, I am beginning to worry that we won't find what we are looking for down south or further west. Our desires-
-highly educated population with excellent public schools & enrichment programs
-community events, lots of families, down to earth
-safe and friendly
-close to culture- theatre/music/museums
-800k budget- 3 bedroom house with large yard
- ethnic food options- more than just your typical Applebee's type restaurants
- active Catholic parish

I feel that, like NY, people are leaving CT in droves. But DH feels like we shouldn't count it out just yet. So far I have posted on the Colorado forum, and will post on some of the southern state forums as well. I am a teacher, and DH is in finance, so we can live anywhere.
We have researched a bit, and we like Guilford/Madison, Avon/Farmington/Simsbury, Newtown/Monroe/New Fairfield. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!!
I think you picked some great areas! I was born and raised in Stamford but now live in Trumbull. The older generation of my family were from Brooklyn. BTW you can put Trumbull & Easton on your list too. I love Fairfield County because it has all of your wants and we are a train ride away from NYC on Metro North. For me it is very important to be a train ride away from the Museum Mile in the upper east side which I consider hallowed ground and the best mile on earth. The teachers in lower Fairfield County make GREAT money. Many of the teachers in lower Fairfield County or "the Gold Coast" live in Trumbull and Fairfield. If you look up how much the towns of the Gold Coast spend per pupil you will see it is the highest in CT and that translates to high salaries for the teachers. Plus your DH can get a good job in finance in the Greenwich/Stamford/Norwalk area and make a very good salary too. Trumbull has an arts (art, music, dance etc.) school where the kids in High School go to regular classes for most of the day and then switch to the arts school to study. The school is in Trumbull but kids from the region can go there. The location of the school makes it convenient for kids from Easton, Fairfield and Trumbull.
https://www.ces.k12.ct.us/page.cfm?p=3434

The New Haven area is good too but you would not make as much money and for the most part the schools are a little better in Fairfield County. The towns that have the best schools in New Haven County might be a little to sedate for your taste. In New Haven you still have access to Metro North. Also there are many concerts at the Yale School of Music which are free or little cost and the musicians are excellent. I want to live near the water in retirement so I will be heading up to the New Haven area on the coastline east of New Haven of Branford, Guilford of Madison.

Don't worry about finding a Catholic Parish as the largest ethic groups in most suburbs is Italian and there are many great Catholic churches and Catholic Schools.

I have only been to the Hartford area a few times. I did go to Farmington and it is beautiful. Jay who is a moderator on this forum lives in that area and had great knowledge of the area.

If you have $800,000 to spend on a house you will have a GREAT life in Fairfield or New Haven counties. When you hear about young people leaving CT.....they don't have your kind of assets. My husband and I have a very nice life in Fairfield County. We live in an average Trumbull house (of $400,000) and make a little less than the average household salary (CD says that is $117,000). I consider myself VERY lucky to have been born in Fairfield County with access to NYC with it's great schools and culture. I went to Pratt Manhattan.

Your list has Fairfield County written all over it. In fact I think you would do well in the town of Fairfield itself. This way you would be close to SONO in Norwalk which is an arts/cultural district. It is going to have the ethnic restaurants and fun culture you would like. My brother is a musician and he plays a lot in SONO. You'll love it. I am I musician too and I have my sights on SONO to start playing also in a duo in a few years.
Here are some sights for SONO so you can get an idea.
SoNo Nightlife | Visit CT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Norwalk
Home - SoNo Arts Fest

There is also a section of Bridgeport called Black Rock that borders Fairfield. It is a nice little area with music and boutiques. In Fairfield you would be in the middle of these two artsy areas. This site says the average house in Fairfield is $500,000. You and your kids can have a great life in Fairfield.

Good Luck and if you pick Fairfield County....ENJOY! I certainly have all my life.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:51 PM

CTartist, Orange, Woodbridge, Guilford, Madison are absolutely at the same caliber as FFC schools. It’s true the pay is lower, but so is the cost of living.

I think Fairfield is another good suggestion.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:56 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
CTartist, Orange, Woodbridge, Guilford, Madison are absolutely at the same caliber as FFC schools. It’s true the pay is lower, but so is the cost of living.
This is what I wrote:

"The towns that have the best schools in New Haven County might be a little to sedate for your taste."

The towns you listed (Orange, Woodbridge, Guilord and Madison) are about the same cost or standard of living as the towns I listed in Fairfield County. I did not list southwest Fairfield County towns which have the higher cost of living.

Woodbridge (a very quiet little town near New Haven)
Average House: $549,315
Household Income: $138,000

Fairfield (a vibrant coastal town in Fairfield County on the Metro North train line)
Average House: $500,000
Household Income: 115,000

Old 09-15-2019, 06:16 PM

Fairfield is much more expensive. That number is meaningless since Woodbridge is a tiny town with mostly larger homes on large lots. Fairfield has a big range of housing.

Fairfield median price per square foot: $309
Woodbridge median price per square foot: $157

Woodbridge is also minutes to the heart of New Haven so it’s not like you’re far from action. They could spend a lot less money than 800k and have a great home with money to spare in the New Haven area. I wouldn’t max my budget if I didn’t have to, personally.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:04 PM

417 posts, read 600,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Fairfield is much more expensive. That number is meaningless since Woodbridge is a tiny town with mostly larger homes on large lots. Fairfield has a big range of housing.

Fairfield median price per square foot: $309
Woodbridge median price per square foot: $157

Woodbridge is also minutes to the heart of New Haven so it’s not like you’re far from action. They could spend a lot less money than 800k and have a great home with money to spare in the New Haven area. I wouldn’t max my budget if I didn’t have to, personally.

This.

Woodbridge is a fantastic option and house prices are pretty much a steal there currently. Direct access to New Haven (de facto center for arts/culture in CT) and reasonably close to the shoreline towns & NYC. Only downsides are higher taxes and (YMMV) somewhat rural.

Madison & Guilford are also solid options offering access to New Haven and the coast. They both have great town centers and a host of activities. Outside of the coastal communities in these towns, you should have no trouble finding very nice homes under 800k.

That being said, you can still get quite a nice home in Fairfield for <800k along with lower taxes than New Haven/Hartford area towns to boot. It's a matter of how much you value environment/amenities vs. property quality/size. You're still within striking distance of New Haven (~30 min) as well.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:03 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
You would not even be close to being the only people relocating from NYC/LI to CT. Our tiny elementary school has several newcomer families from there this year alone.

I would add Ridgefield to the list of towns you are considering, but visit them all, as each has a different feel.

One thing to note is that the Danbury area is the most culturally and demographically tied to NY of the three you mentioned - many many NYers around - followed by the New Haven area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut