Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 06:58 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,026,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Where do you need to be on a regular basis? There are plenty of places in CT that meet those criteria but if you have to cover a territory that includes the HV and northern CT,our recommended towns would vary.
The "regular basis" part is what's throwing a wrench into this, but also allowing me to check out new places. In 18 months, my work contract in Albany will be up & will probably be picked up again, with several regions to request. Albany will be on their list, but definitely will not be one of my choices, and I'd jump ship now if a comparable paying position comes up with another company. I have visited many CT towns based on posts from people on this forum, I just requested towns off 44 this time, so I wouldn't be too far from the end point of Taunton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 08:43 AM

34,808 posts, read 56,697,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Hi Jay. Basically I'm looking for recommendations of towns that you as individuals like - for maybe their charm or aesthetic qualities; proximity to bigger cities like Hartford and New Haven (I realize that's quite south of the area we're discussing now). I am looking for a place to live but with my work, will be able to remote for at least the first year. It does not have to be along 44, this just happens to be the "off interstate" route I chose for this particular trip. When I finally do have to committ to an office base, of course a short commute is desirable, but I'm willing to max out at 45 minutes on average. No kids, so schools aren't an issue.

I don't require much for the $2G a month and would much rather stay around $1200 or less, though I know that's not always available....safety is important as is opportunity for fun/entertainment/eats within 30 minutes of home. I have criss-crossed CT for years now and really like all of it. It's (imo) small enough that, if Hartford becomes my work base, I'm ok commuting from almost any direction. Just last year, I was on hold for a transfer to Winsted; the company has now changed course and is considering opening an office in Providence instead. Obviously that will play a deciding factor in where to relocate & may throw Hartford out of the mix. Which is why they are letting us remote in for now. It's also why I'm looking at competing companies to perhaps jump ship... I'm too old for this uncertainty!

I've been to Granby, Avon & Simsbury - I had done floral events in all three towns in my former life as a florist. I thought I would be priced out of the latter two. I have not visited Farmington or Burlington yet and know nothing of West Hartford, so I will plan on checking out these towns for sure. Thank you so much for your input!
Thanks for the clarification. It helps. I agree with Stylo that the shoreline towns east of New Haven is wonderful. Beautiful towns with a great beach feel. Branford, Guilford and Madison are wonderful suburbs of New Haven so you have easy access to all New Haven has to offer. Branford offers a great small downtown and a wide range of housing options. Guilford has a wonderfully charming town green and center. Madison is beautiful and very affluent. It has a great waterfront park, The Surf Club. It also has one of the best independent bookstores in New England RJ Julia.

Further east, Old Saybrook at the mouth of the Connecticut River is a great beach town that is quite in the winter but active and exciting in the summer. There are also many beautiful and charming towns in the lower Connecticut River Valley. Check out Essex, Chester, Deep River, Haddam and East Haddam. East Haddam is home to the wonderful historic Goodspeed Opera House and the stunning Gillette Castle.

Another town you might like is Middletown. It’s a small city/town that has a great downtown that is home to Wesleyan University and a branch of RJ Julia Bookstore. There are a lot of great restaurants there too. I hope this helps. Jay

Old 11-24-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Thanks for the clarification. It helps. I agree with Stylo that the shoreline towns east of New Haven is wonderful. Beautiful towns with a great beach feel. Branford, Guilford and Madison are wonderful suburbs of New Haven so you have easy access to all New Haven has to offer. Branford offers a great small downtown and a wide range of housing options. Guilford has a wonderfully charming town green and center. Madison is beautiful and very affluent. It has a great waterfront park, The Surf Club. It also has one of the best independent bookstores in New England RJ Julia.

Further east, Old Saybrook at the mouth of the Connecticut River is a great beach town that is quite in the winter but active and exciting in the summer. There are also many beautiful and charming towns in the lower Connecticut River Valley. Check out Essex, Chester, Deep River, Haddam and East Haddam. East Haddam is home to the wonderful historic Goodspeed Opera House and the stunning Gillette Castle.

Another town you might like is Middletown. It’s a small city/town that has a great downtown that is home to Wesleyan University and a branch of RJ Julia Bookstore. There are a lot of great restaurants there too. I hope this helps. Jay
Yes, this helps tremendously, thank you! One of the things I love most about CT is the large number of small towns, each with their distinct flavor. I grew up in Denver, and all the burbs that surrounded it have melded together into one massive metro sprawl. Drive out of that a ways & you come to prairie or mountain towns. Nice, but not the same uniqueness that is Connecticut.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:27 PM

2,439 posts, read 4,819,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I grew up in Denver, and all the burbs that surrounded it have melded together into one massive metro sprawl. Drive out of that a ways & you come to prairie or mountain towns. Nice, but not the same uniqueness that is Connecticut.
For that reason I’d look at the northeastern corner, like Woodstock, Pomfret, Brooklyn. Stafford Spgs is nice too. You can’t go wrong with the coastal towns others have recommended either but the countryside is beautiful inland, real estate cheaper and towns a bit less run together.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
For that reason I’d look at the northeastern corner, like Woodstock, Pomfret, Brooklyn. Stafford Spgs is nice too. You can’t go wrong with the coastal towns others have recommended either but the countryside is beautiful inland, real estate cheaper and towns a bit less run together.
Thank you, missionhill. I stopped in Pomfret once a few years back - such a pretty town. Adding the others you mentioned to my list for future treks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut