Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:04 PM

8 posts, read 27,360 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are kicking the tires in and around communities of East Norwalk, Fairfield, Stratford, and Trumbull (but not limited to).

Does anyone want to plug or comment on their town?!

We are married and planning a family. Goal is to be within one hour from Hartford (her parents), and 60-90 minutes from NYC (work).

Initial budget $300-350K.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 06:11 PM

246 posts, read 873,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCanGoHomeAgain View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are kicking the tires in and around communities of East Norwalk, Fairfield, Stratford, and Trumbull (but not limited to).

We are married and planning a family. Goal is to be within one hour from Hartford (her parents), and 60-90 minutes from NYC (work).

Thanks!
I'd strongly advise against Fairfield County if you don't mind being over 60 minutes from NYC. Prices are very high and become much lower once you get past Bridgeport and the Valley (Ansonia, Derby, Shelton).

With a budget of 350k, you should look at the following towns:

Milford - A small city on the shoreline with plenty to do. There is any store you can think of on Route 1 (Boston Post Rd) and you can get a starter home around $300-350k. Schools are diverse and very good. 1 hour, 10 mins to NYC, 1 hour to Hartford.

Shelton- Also a small city but a bit inland from Milford. It's in Fairfield County so prices can be high, but for your price range you should find a decent home. The schools are diverse, there are plenty of corporations and businesses on Bridgeport Ave. 1 hour to NYC, 1 hour to Hartford.

Oxford - An attractive leafy town with a New England flavor. Schools are very good and the quality of life is excellent (if you don't mind traveling to neighboring towns for shopping). The town is not very diverse (98% white). 50 minutes to Hartford, 1 hour, 10 mins to NYC) $350k will get you a nice starter home in town, possibly more.

Stratford - A decent Fairfield County town with average schools. Prices here will be much cheaper than Milford, Oxford and Shelton, but you're close to NYC (1 hour) and Hartford (1 hour).

While Norwalk, Fairfield and Trumbull are very nice places to live, they are also very, very expensive. If you can afford it, I say go for a condo in Fairfield or Norwalk because the commute to NYC can be horrible, but if you want a house, then check out the towns I mentioned.

All travel times are without traffic.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:45 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
Try looking north up in the Danbury area. You can get a decent starter home or smaller newer townhome in your price range. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
Try looking north up in the Danbury area. You can get a decent starter home or smaller newer townhome in your price range. Good luck!
Great suggestion...Danbury, Bethel, Brookfield, Newtown and New Fairfield are all convenient to both Hartford and NYC. It's about halfway between both.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
If you are looking to jump into a house, you will see listings in trumbull and fairfield, but they're likely going to need work, be on the bridgeport border, and not have great expansion potential. I'd say that stratford is going to be the only realistic choice(of the 4 mentioned) in your price range. Furthermore, if you're interested in expanding the home as your family grows, North Stratford offers many capes/ranches that are easily expandable for a reasonable amount of money.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:48 AM

8 posts, read 27,360 times
Default Stratford etc

Thank you for the feedback. We have looked in the easternmost areas of Fairfield, and didnt like what we saw for the costs. East Norwalk was nice with its beach & rec areas, and great train access, but still too pricey. Trumbull felt a bit removed for 10 year city dwellers, and Stratford is next on the list. We both want to go 'home again' in the sense of a New England community, but desire commuter train access. One foot in, one foot out so to speak.

I was raised in Sherman (New Milford area) and she Windsor (Hartford) so we're both used to smaller towns. But NYC jobs & commuting options beckon.

Danbury etc seems far for a daily commute, but perhaps just psychologically?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 AM

202 posts, read 704,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee784 View Post
Milford - 1 hour, 10 mins to NYC, 1 hour to Hartford.

Shelton- 1 hour to NYC, 1 hour to Hartford.

Oxford - 50 minutes to Hartford, 1 hour, 10 mins to NYC

Stratford - NYC (1 hour) and Hartford (1 hour).

All travel times are without traffic.

Are you sure about those commute times? The train from Norwalk takes 1 hour so I don't see how it could take only 1 hour (or 1 hour 10 min.) from places further north. And if you meant by car, well then traffic is usually very bad and, depending on the time, can easily take twice as long. (That is why many people don't drive to NYC.) East Norwalk is the most expensive place mentioned, but it is also the closest to NYC. Factoring time spent going from your house to the train station and you are already spending more than 1 hour commuting. The further north you go, the more time it will take. It's a trade-off, of course: more house or less commute time.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 AM

271 posts, read 1,278,455 times
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. We have looked in the easternmost areas of Fairfield, and didnt like what we saw for the costs. East Norwalk was nice with its beach & rec areas, and great train access, but still too pricey. Trumbull felt a bit removed for 10 year city dwellers, and Stratford is next on the list. We both want to go 'home again' in the sense of a New England community, but desire commuter train access. One foot in, one foot out so to speak.

I was raised in Sherman (New Milford area) and she Windsor (Hartford) so we're both used to smaller towns. But NYC jobs & commuting options beckon.

Danbury etc seems far for a daily commute, but perhaps just psychologically?
HART - Housatonic Area Regional Transit

There is a shuttle bus that runs between Danbury and the Metro-North train station in Brewster. There is also a shuttle that runs from Ridgefield to Katonah. I believe there is talk of creating shuttle service between New Fairfield and the train station in Southeast.

You might also want to take a look at the New Haven metro. Metro-North will be building a new train station in West Haven. Commuter train service between Hartford and New Haven will begin in a few years and North Haven and Wallingford will both get train stations.

Shore Line East is the commuter train that runs from New Haven to New London. If you can work from home one or two days a week you might be able to deal with the commute from here to NYC.

Shore Line East is Connecituct's Commuter Rail Service Between New Haven and New London

I’m bullish that Bridgeport, Derby, and Ansonia are going to find their populations increasing due to their location in the next 10 years.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibutiej View Post
Are you sure about those commute times? The train from Norwalk takes 1 hour so I don't see how it could take only 1 hour (or 1 hour 10 min.) from places further north. And if you meant by car, well then traffic is usually very bad and, depending on the time, can easily take twice as long. (That is why many people don't drive to NYC.) East Norwalk is the most expensive place mentioned, but it is also the closest to NYC. Factoring time spent going from your house to the train station and you are already spending more than 1 hour commuting. The further north you go, the more time it will take. It's a trade-off, of course: more house or less commute time.
The times I mentioned are driving, without traffic. Train times will be much longer.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!
It depends on what you expect for this price and how long you plan on living there. You will not get a lot for this price but in Fairfield you could get a nice but modest home in a good neighborhood. The schools in Fairfield are excellent and there is just about everything you would need nearby. Plus the commute into New York is just over an hour by train. Fairfield has great parks and beaches and there is a wonderful downtown. Your money will go further in Stratford or Trumbull but your commute time will be more. JMHO Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut