Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 06:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,052 times

Advertisements

hi everyone - i am new to these forums and have been reading up on CT quite a bit. I currently live in central MA, but have secured a job in hartford and plan to move in the next few months. I am single, no kids and don't plan to have any and found a fixer upper home in the whitehall drive neighborhood area in east hartford, price is good based on the work that needs to be done. It was owned by an older man who recently passed and needs some updating, wallpaper removal, etc. I am somewhat familiar with CT and towns surrounding hartford, but haven't been to this neighborhood specifically. Does anyone know this particular neighborhood? I plan on coming down this weekend to meet with a realtor to view the home and am looking for input on this area. My realtor said its close to glastonbury/manchester lines and convenient to shopping and its a pretty nice area. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:29 AM

311 posts, read 1,822,914 times
Hi CTHome - Whitehall drive is about 1 mile from the glastonbury border and about 1/4 mile from the manchester line. You would be close to shopping in glastonbury (about a 5 min drive) and the shopping areas in manchester and south windsor (about a 10 min drive). You have easy access to interstates 2, 91, 384 and 84. I am quite familar with this street and I'll bet you are looking at a smaller, white ranch right?? I actually toured this house a few weeks ago. This is a very nice area of EH. Many homes that are still owned by original owners, but mixed with some newer families moving in over the past few years as older folks move away or pass on. Since I'm sure the EH bashing will soon start, let me say that EH does have areas that are not particularly desirable - the area you are looking in is not one of them. Also, schools do poorly, but since you don't have kids, I'm not sure this is a consideration. Many in town send there kids to local private schools if that does become a consideration in the future. There are some great initiatives currently going on in town. Let me know if you are interested and I can provide you more details. thanks

Old 04-22-2008, 08:51 AM

Srib - thanks for the info. that actually is the house I am looking at. Interesting.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:04 AM

Its a very nice house if you can get beyond some of the work - which is sounds like you already know that its needs some renovating. There is some wallpaper, I would say the floors need to be refinished, but they are hardwoods throughout. Not sure what pictures you saw - I think the only one on the MLS is of the front of the house, but the back yard has a flagstone patio that is in pretty good shape and a screened in porch as well which was a nice surprise. Also, nicely wooded lot so it should be a nice spot in the summer. House also has a roof that is 3 years old and part of the basement is finished as a bar/family room type area. Very cute house if you don't mind the work.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 AM

34,862 posts, read 56,796,258 times
I agree with Srib that Whitehall Drive is a nice neighborhood. It is quite and attractive. If you like the house and it is within your price range, I see no reason to not go for it. JMHO Jay

Old 04-22-2008, 09:17 AM

Thanks to you both for the quick information this morning. This has made me feel better about the trip down there and I can't wait to see it. Its well within my price range and I like to live comfortably so I actually buy less house than I can afford so I don't mind spending some on renovations. Srib - you mentioned initiatives in town - what does that mean exactly?

Old 04-22-2008, 11:32 AM

A few things going on that will hopefully bolster the towns image. Unfortunately part of the image problem comes mostly from people who don't live and have never lived in EH, but nothing we can do about that. A local college has purchased and is building its new campus on the CT river. Its replacing an old oil storage tank area which had been an eyesore for decades. If the plans for the college come out in reality the way they look on paper - it should be quite a site to see and will make the river much more accesible to town residents. Town has spent millions over the last few years resurfacing the roads in town and more was approved to continue the work in 08 so you'll be seeing lots of new roads in town. Cabela's - an outdoor sports store opened last year and has become somewhat of a destination - its located adjacent to the pratt and whitney building and the UConn football stadium on what was an old aiport. A little overrated (JMHO), but it seems to draw quite a crowd and there are plans to add a man made lake that would allow visitors to test canoes and kayaks before purchasing. Additional plans for the old airstrip call for mixed housing, more retail and office space - not sure what will happen with that given the economy now, but its an aggressive plan for the area anyway. The town purchased and razed two apartment buildings in one of our less desirable areas and a new medical office building will be going there, also a new hotel will be built close to the riverfront (I mention these smaller items because the town desperately needs tax revenue so even these small wins are big for EH). Aldi's (i think a european grocery chain) will be opening at the site of an old salvation army store. the old building is already gone and new one is well under way. Also, a petco will be replacing an old ames store - another good thing because that store has been empty for a while. I know there is more, but this post is longer than I thought it would be so I'll call it quits there! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut