Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 10:28 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

A good analogy about the drugs with the ventilators. With the malaria drug, my issue was the way Trump (and then as such the right in general) promoted it like a used car salesman instead of being patient. Using your argument here, it may indeed work and if they simply mentioned it instead of the forced manner I'd respect it more I mean it had tests and trials all over the place. I think though even if it works it may be too risky a drug. I think remisdvir shows more promise, but even there leaks both good and bad are not helping. It sounds like the failed trial in China had too few patients to be valid.
In both cases, worst case scenario, I view the drugs as potentially good Hail Mary passes.

For non sports fans, I shall explain. A Hail Mary football pass is usually a low % desperation toss at the end of either a half or a game when the clock will not allow multiple plays, nor a field goal due to distance. It works quite infrequently, but again nothing to lose if dealing with someone in the end stages via normal treatment.

So I see no issue using either for someone, treated conventionally, would not make it, in the final days.

Until either is put through more testing, I would not like either used as first treatment of choice.

Cuomo btw, just days ago, offered the Trump administration a testing ground in controlled environments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 11:05 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
A very smart and logic take from one of CT’s own:

Old 04-26-2020, 02:31 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I wish I could turn it off. This stuff comes from my more conservative friends. They just keep posting any crap that comes their way. I try to be respectful but it’s hard. I now keep saying “If you did a Google search on this you would find...”. I then give them the facts I found and a link to my references just like I do here.

One friend refused to accept these facts and unfriended me. I texted her and said I’m sorry you did not like it but these are the facts and I stand by them. She refriended me but I just noticed that she unfriended me again. Her loss. I may text her again but I’m tired of the garbage she posts so I’m reluctant.

I also am seeing rants on other people here. Some posters on the Glastonbury FB pagecare raging about kids riding their bikes too close to each other. Come on now. Like that elderly couple that’s a little too much. Jay
I have hidden a limited number of people from my newsfeed because I couldn't take seeing their posts anymore. Virtually all the people I hid are liberals who continuously spew out hateful content of highly questionable veracity. The sad part is that they don't see it as hateful and I don't think they even mean to offend anybody. They're just so deeply absorbed into a certain way of looking at things that they can't fathom that others may look at it differently, and they're completely credulous of any information source that confirms their overall view. It's actually a very sad way to live to spend so much time in that state if mind. I never challenge them because they would become incensed and then I would be viciously attacked by their like minded friends. Social media is highly anti-social in that sense, and people behave much worse than they would in person.

Unlike you, I rarely see much conservative content that is anywhere near as bad as the liberal stuff I have seen. I have a couple of friends who occasionally post stuff that is questionable but it doesn't have the raw hate of the liberal stuff I see, so it's easier to just pass over it. I am a relative conservative myself and don't post political content, and many of my more conservative friends are the same. Most of them seem much more intelligent than the liberals constantly spewing out their bile. I do have some more conservative relatives who are a bit ignorant and post stuff that is questionable but it's not as extreme or hateful as the liberal stuff I have seen.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:21 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I wish I could turn it off. This stuff comes from my more conservative friends. They just keep posting any crap that comes their way.
Just block them. lol. I stopped using FB long long time ago. With twitter you can mute words so they don't show up in your feed. Obviously my feed consists of 90% weather related tweets from Mets and People all over the country but 10% is other like politics, sports, general. But I had to mute COVID19, Death, Virus, ect 3 weeks ago because it was just overwhelming my feed and causing too much anxiety.

Anyway --- Quick look at Fairfield County.... "Flattening The Curve".

At this point its almost pointless looking at the "total" count. I like to focus on the daily count. The 7 day average is kinda all over the place but the trend has been down since early April. Stupid spike on April 22nd ruined the graph.

But with averaging 29 cases for a 7 day period, we're still not at March levels...getting there. Today is Sunday, I assume numbers will be low. Seems to be the theme.

As always, let me know if anyone wants to see a town or another county and please be detailed on what you want to see (ie, cases, deaths, avg, hospitalizations, ect)

Be back tonight

Old 04-26-2020, 05:29 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
BTW --

Towns with 0 cases still. Never heard of 3 of these towns in CT.

Canaan
Chaplin
Hampton
Scotland

Lyme: 1
Union: 1
Colebrook: 2
North Stonington: 2
Sprague: 2
Sterling: 2

Old 04-26-2020, 06:39 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
BTW --

Canaan
Chaplin
Hampton
Scotland

CT quiet corner it more rural

Old 04-26-2020, 07:10 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Scotland's not in the corner. I never heard of Chaplin though.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:02 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
First of all, it's still very difficult to get a test. Second of all, most of the tests are not very sensitive, because the swab is usually put into transport media, so even if the virus is present, there's apparently about a one third chance of it not being detected. Third, many people don't seek a test - they're either asymptomatic, or not sick enough to want to go through the trouble of seeking a test.

About half the deaths are in nursing homes. Rural areas without any nursing homes are likely to show lower numbers, although eventually, the virus will get there, too.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:03 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In both cases, worst case scenario, I view the drugs as potentially good Hail Mary passes.

For non sports fans, I shall explain. A Hail Mary football pass is usually a low % desperation toss at the end of either a half or a game when the clock will not allow multiple plays, nor a field goal due to distance. It works quite infrequently, but again nothing to lose if dealing with someone in the end stages via normal treatment.

So I see no issue using either for someone, treated conventionally, would not make it, in the final days.

Until either is put through more testing, I would not like either used as first treatment of choice.

Cuomo btw, just days ago, offered the Trump administration a testing ground in controlled environments.

Again my issue is not testing it, I completely agree with your Hail Mary analogy, it's the way the some public figures talk about it. And that is true about Cuomo, in fact Cuomo has approved and there has been limited controlled testing of the malaria drug (I just can't remember how to spell it's name right, that's why I call it this) in NY for weeks now. There's a hospital in Brooklyn that's secretly testing Singulair off-label becuase they happened to notice that all of their initial COVID patients already on Singular recovered, supposedly it's working, but only one news source (channel 2 NYC, then expanded to CBS national news and picked up by MSN News(NOT MSNBC, different source)) has mentioned it. There's another study (albeit in the Philippines and very limited) showing that taking vitamin D supplements may lessen and weaken symptoms, though you apparently have to have regularly taken them before being infected for it to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
First of all, it's still very difficult to get a test. Second of all, most of the tests are not very sensitive, because the swab is usually put into transport media, so even if the virus is present, there's apparently about a one third chance of it not being detected. Third, many people don't seek a test - they're either asymptomatic, or not sick enough to want to go through the trouble of seeking a test.

About half the deaths are in nursing homes. Rural areas without any nursing homes are likely to show lower numbers, although eventually, the virus will get there, too.
Another reason many of those who "don't want to go through the trouble of seeking a test" don't is that until recently the test itself was very nasty and invasive, the majority of the tests still are. Putting a swab several inches in your nose and beyond just gives me the chills. Obviously if it were life or death I'd get past that.

I do want to take the antibody test when/if it becomes more readily available for the curiosity

Old 04-26-2020, 08:47 AM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
BTW --

Canaan
Chaplin
Hampton
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Scotland's not in the corner. I never heard of Chaplin though.

Canaan is northwest. The rest are east and together, and they are considered part of the Quiet Corner.

Map of towns with Covid https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...ticut/2243429/

Quiet Corner Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I have hidden a limited number of people from my newsfeed because I couldn't take seeing their posts anymore. Virtually all the people I hid are liberals who continuously spew out hateful content of highly questionable veracity. The sad part is that they don't see it as hateful and I don't think they even mean to offend anybody. They're just so deeply absorbed into a certain way of looking at things that they can't fathom that others may look at it differently, and they're completely credulous of any information source that confirms their overall view. It's actually a very sad way to live to spend so much time in that state if mind. I never challenge them because they would become incensed and then I would be viciously attacked by their like minded friends. Social media is highly anti-social in that sense, and people behave much worse than they would in person.

Unlike you, I rarely see much conservative content that is anywhere near as bad as the liberal stuff I have seen. I have a couple of friends who occasionally post stuff that is questionable but it doesn't have the raw hate of the liberal stuff I see, so it's easier to just pass over it. I am a relative conservative myself and don't post political content, and many of my more conservative friends are the same. Most of them seem much more intelligent than the liberals constantly spewing out their bile. I do have some more conservative relatives who are a bit ignorant and post stuff that is questionable but it's not as extreme or hateful as the liberal stuff I have seen.
Agree 100%. I don't understand how normally reasonable people can have so much anger in them that they feel the need to post the same hatred multiple times a day, every day, for years now. And they upped their game with Covid. I wish FB would allow us to block posts by word, like Cam said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut