Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 12:39 PM

55 posts, read 73,035 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am current Mamaroneck resident. We already pay $24k in taxes on a $940k house (2100 sq ft). We would like a bigger house but the taxes here are just astronomical. I really like Darien, CT. I did some research and for a 1.3M house you would get a lot more house and pay less in taxes in Darien. Whereas, here I'd get a smaller house than in Darien and pay probably $35k in taxes.

My concern is the people. Mamaroneck is a very neighborhoody, unpretentious small town. Is Darien really all that bad?

Last edited by westchesterbuyer123; 02-16-2020 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 12:47 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
It is a less economically diverse town. More uniformly wealthy.

It has a reputation for being a bit WASPy, and certainly has a preppy Vineyard Vines-ish high end feel, but I would defer judgment to someone that has actually lived there. For what it’s worth, it always felt a bit less outwardly ostentatious to me compared to Westport. A bit more reserved. I have a couple colleagues and clients that have lived there and they are nice enough people, though I’m not sure down to earth would be a phrase I’d use.

I’m sure the schools are very competitive. Which can be great for some offering lots of opportunity and challenging for others. Everyone is different.

Noroton Heights seems a bit more “normal” to me and has some density that might encourage a more neighborly feel.

You may also want to consider some of the “less wealthy“ areas of Greenwich if you want that close knit feel. Cos Cob, Old Greenwich. Greenwich is more economically diverse than Darien. Homes are a bit more expensive but taxes are even lower (lower than any NYC suburb AFAIK).

Last edited by Stylo; 02-16-2020 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-16-2020, 01:09 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Darien is very different, socially, than Mamaroneck. Darien has a median household income of just north of 210k, while Mamaroneck is about 116k. It’s just, overall, a significantly wealthier community. Of course, that means the people will be a bit different. Different careers, values, wants and needs. Darien is probably closer to a Scarsdale.

In SW CT, the closest you’ll find to upper middle class, commutable to NYC, with good schools, is probably Fairfield. It’s pretty much at the end of the commuting line so it would be a very long NYC commute, but some do it.

I’d agree with Stylo - maybe look into the Cos Cob or Byram sections of Greenwich.

Old 02-16-2020, 02:16 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Darien is very different, socially, than Mamaroneck. Darien has a median household income of just north of 210k, while Mamaroneck is about 116k. It’s just, overall, a significantly wealthier community. Of course, that means the people will be a bit different. Different careers, values, wants and needs. Darien is probably closer to a Scarsdale.

In SW CT, the closest you’ll find to upper middle class, commutable to NYC, with good schools, is probably Fairfield. It’s pretty much at the end of the commuting line so it would be a very long NYC commute, but some do it.

I’d agree with Stylo - maybe look into the Cos Cob or Byram sections of Greenwich.
Darien is kinda judgmental but not everyone

Old 02-16-2020, 02:42 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Darien is kinda judgmental but not everyone
People in every town are judgmental, rich and poor.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:14 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I’m wondering why the OP bypassed Greenwich for Darien? Greenwich is very diverse and while pricey, it’s taxes are among the lowest in the region. Certainly lower than Mamaroneck. $1.3 million gets you about 2,500 to 3,200 square feet with taxes under $14,000. Some have taxes around $10,000. That’s where I’d look first and then go to Darien if I could find something in Greenwich. Jay

Old 02-16-2020, 07:03 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,343,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchesterbuyer123 View Post
Hi all, I am current Mamaroneck resident. We already pay $24k in taxes on a $940k house (2100 sq ft). We would like a bigger house but the taxes here are just astronomical. I really like Darien, CT. I did some research and for a 1.3M house you would get a lot more house and pay less in taxes in Darien. Whereas, here I'd get a smaller house than in Darien and pay probably $35k in taxes.

My concern is the people. Mamaroneck is a very neighborhoody, unpretentious small town. Is Darien really all that bad?
I might be able to give you a little perspective on this.

I was born and raised in Stamford. My mom's family is from the Glenbrook section of Stamford and the Noroton section of Darien which border one another. I still have relatives that live there and have had cousins from Stamford move to the Noroton section of Darien.

IMO Noroton is different from most of Darien. Noroton is more like the "middle class" section of Darien if you can look past the fact that many of the homes are around one million dollars but there are also many under the million dollar mark.

We have had many a party in my family with people from Mamaronek, Stamford and Noroton and we all got along fine. Being from Mamaronek I think you would like Noroton and the areas close to it in Darien as they border the water and you can quickly be in Stamford or South Norwalk for the night life and shopping.

Here is a 1.1 million dollar house in Noroton but look how close it is to Glenbrook Stamford. I circled both in red in the picture. The taxes on this house are $10,531 too.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_34512352

Darien-norotonglenbrook.jpg

Old 02-16-2020, 07:21 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,343,688 times
There is something else I want to point out. I now this kind of stuff because I know many people who live or have lived there. The section that I pointed out in Noroton where the house was has a household income of $119,000. My town of Trumbull has a household income of $117,000 and my town is middle class for Fairfield County.

There is a map on City-Data where you can see this information. I took a print screen so you can see it.
Darien-norotonincome.jpg

Old 02-16-2020, 07:56 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Darien is probably closer to a Scarsdale.
A better Westchester comparison to Darien would probably be to Bronxville. Both have more of a WASP-y "old money" vibe whereas while Scarsdale was like that decades ago, Scarsdale is nowadays more "nouveau riche" kind of like Westport or richer parts of Greenwich with heavy Jewish and Asian populations (though I'm not sure how Asian Westport is).

Old 02-16-2020, 08:47 PM

222 posts, read 413,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchesterbuyer123 View Post

Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut