Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 06:29 AM

11 posts, read 10,277 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family and I plan on moving from Long Island to CT this year, but would like some advice on where to live. We have friends and coworkers who live there now, but they dont' have kids or their kids are older(mine are 4 months and 3 yrs old). We were told to look into New Fairfield, New Milford, Bethel, Brookfield, Ridgefield, and Redding and Newtown. My wife and I have rented a summer house in Milford too and we loved that town. Now my only concern is every so offten I have to travel to NYC. I know Milford has a line that goes in and is about 2 hours long which I'm ok with. But I was wondeing if any of the other towns stick out as more family oriented, has good schools and more readliy accessible by train?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 06:45 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendace View Post
Hi all,

My family and I plan on moving from Long Island to CT this year, but would like some advice on where to live. We have friends and coworkers who live there now, but they dont' have kids or their kids are older(mine are 4 months and 3 yrs old). We were told to look into New Fairfield, New Milford, Bethel, Brookfield, Ridgefield, and Redding and Newtown. My wife and I have rented a summer house in Milford too and we loved that town. Now my only concern is every so offten I have to travel to NYC. I know Milford has a line that goes in and is about 2 hours long which I'm ok with. But I was wondeing if any of the other towns stick out as more family oriented, has good schools and more readliy accessible by train?

Thanks.
It's going to depend on your budget and lifestyle, but with kids and train or coast access as a priority, put Milford and Fairfield at the top of the list. Parts of New Fairfield and Ridgefield should be on the list too, since you can drive to the Harlem line in NY from either town. Spend time in each of these areas - along the coast and along the NY/CT line - they are different.

You'd get the most house for your money in New Milford or Bethel, but I would really focus on the 4 towns listed above and look at the others if these 4 don't click for you.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:10 AM

Thank you. We're getting of Long Island because its so over priced here. We had a budget of a little more than 500K here on Long Island, but think we can do a lot better and cheaper in the areas we are looking. We are tring to stay under 400K.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:29 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Milford train isn’t quite 2 hours.

The express is about 1 hour 40. It was 90 minutes before last year when they slowed down the trains for all the bridge work and positive control updates they’re doing. Hopefully it goes back to a faster time in the foreseeable future. But having a station in town with consistent access is a big selling point. Milford is the only town with a main line station in CT with good schools and strong value at your budget, so I would put at the top of the list. You know the town, but this site is helpful: www.discovermilfordct.com

It’s a wonderful town with a lot of value and has a lot going for it. It’s one of the few towns in CT with consistent positive growth and steady/lowering taxes.

The Danbury area towns are nice too. To get to NYC from there you drive to Southeast station in NY state and take the Harlem line. A town like Newtown is a bit trickier for train access. Danbury/Bethel train is very slow and infrequent and often requires a transfer, which is why everyone drives to NY. They are quieter than Milford. It depends what you like, if you want a more vibrant town with community events and things to do nearby, go Milford. If you like a bit more space those other towns can be nice. Also depends if you value being near the coast or good small cities like New Haven.

Ridgefield and Redding aren’t really appropriate for your budget.

You might also consider Shelton and Trumbull at your budget. Trumbull gets a little tricky under 400k but it’s possible. They are relatively close to train.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:56 AM

How is Orange? It's near Milford so I could commute from that staion.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:06 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
How is Orange? It's near Milford so I could commute from that staion.
Orange is also a very nice town.

Schools are considered excellent, while I would say Milford’s are considered very good. It’s a less populated town than Milford and more solidly upper middle class than economically diverse Milford. Doesn’t have the walkability, downtown, coast, community events but you can take advantage of some of that as an Orange resident. Taxes are a bit higher than Milford but still lower than some other area towns (32 vs 27 mill rate).

And yes anyone can park in Milford for the train so you could drive there for that. You can also drive to Fairfield Metro from either town if you wanted which has lots of parking.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:08 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
For under 400 and train access, start with Milford and New Fairfield. You'll be able to get a cape, raised ranch or maybe a small colonial for that.

I would then look at Orange, maybe Brookfield, Trumbull, Bethel, New Milford, Shelton. Since they're all a bit further from the train, I have listed those in order of how I would rank them as far as amenities for kids and school system reputation.

Brookfield looks pretty strong on paper - schools, type of housing available - at that price point, but you'd have to visit it and see if it's your thing - it's a pretty quiet community. Orange is a great town, excellent school reputation, the housing stock tends to be a bit older and more centered around ranches/split levels.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:51 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Where is it your friends live in Connecticut? Are they in the Danbury area? Do you want to be close to them? If so, the towns you mention are good, though I doubt you will get much of a home in your price range in Ridgefield or Redding. Ridgefield though has the best performing schools on your list. They are among the very best in the state. It’s up to you if it is worth the premium to live there.

New Fairfield has good access to Southeast Station in New York so it might be good to consider. The other towns do not have good access to New York City trains. You would have to drive a distance to a station. This might be fine for an occasional trip but if you are going somewhat regularly, it would not be ideal.

You mention that you liked Milford. If being in the Danbury area is not important than you might consider it along with Orange. Orange schools are very well regarded. Again it’s your choice. Jay

Old 03-03-2020, 06:49 AM

They had lived in Bethel, Danbury, and Brookfield. So i guess I'm better staying close to the NY border, Milford or Orange? Like I said I dont have to go to NYC offten. I just want the most bang for my buck (property, house size and schools.)

Old 03-03-2020, 08:10 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
They had lived in Bethel, Danbury, and Brookfield. So i guess I'm better staying close to the NY border, Milford or Orange? Like I said I dont have to go to NYC offten. I just want the most bang for my buck (property, house size and schools.)
Since you don’t have to go into New York that often, have you considered the shoreline towns east of New Haven? Branford, Guilford and Madison are beautiful middle class upscale towns with very good schools and a quiet beach lifestyle. These towns have Shoreline East train service into New Haven where you can catch trains into Manhattan. Your $400,000 budget will go far there. Just a thought. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut