Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 06:26 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,633,538 times

Advertisements

Round 7 is done! Results will be coming soon, followed by Round 8.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Awwww I tried to make a difference! I haven't been on in a few days, thanks for adding mine

(and how is it Friday already?!)
Of Course!!! Even though the deadline is technically always at 8pm, you can always cast votes until I call that the Round is done on here. I was a little late to post the hour warning today so I added a little extra time.

Sorry it didn't make much of a difference in which town goes through though. All fixtures while some were close were pretty much decided already.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:34 PM

Default Round 7 Results

Round 7 Results:

New Haven 19-2 Mansfield

Stonington 9-12 Fairfield

Milford 16-5 West Hartford

Old Saybrook 12-9 Westport

Some more really big towns out now, and we have got the final four towns. Prepare for probably the toughest round of the tournament in the Round 8 Semifinals! I'll have Round 8 posted very soon.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:36 PM

Default Round 8 Semifinals

Round 8:

Deadline: Friday May 29th at 8:00pm Connecticut Time.

New Haven vs Fairfield

Milford vs Old Saybrook

So there we have it with the final four towns, and this round will decide the two towns that will make the Final. Who is READY to VOTE in Round 8!!![/quote]

Old 05-22-2020, 06:42 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
New Haven vs Fairfield

Milford vs Old Saybrook

Now I won't forget next week lol

I remember you holding it open few weeks ago for tie breakers so I was hoping the same thing was going on this week. Thanks again!

Old 05-22-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
New Haven vs Fairfield

Milford vs Old Saybrook

Now I won't forget next week lol

I remember you holding it open few weeks ago for tie breakers so I was hoping the same thing was going on this week. Thanks again!

Old 05-22-2020, 07:31 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
[QRound 8:

Deadline: Friday May 29th at 8:00pm Connecticut Time.

New Haven vs Fairfield - Easy. Love Fairfield but New Haven offers so much, history, architecture, music, food, museums. So much.

Milford vs Old Saybrook - also easy, OS is lovely, and Fenwick is beautiful, but the coast is a little one note and it’s not my favorite downtown in that area. Milford has a more varied coast with very distinct neighborhoods, more sandy public beaches, and a prettier downtown area with a combo of New England charm, harbor, duck ponds, waterfalls, the green. Milford has more parks too, more hiking spots (Mondo Pond, Eisenhower Park, etc), more food options, 2 breweries. And the beauty is apparent here: https://discovermilfordct.com/gallery/

Old 05-22-2020, 07:37 PM

Round 8:

New Haven vs Fairfield: This is very tough. I gotta say that I appreciate both towns so much for what they have to offer, and honestly Milford and West Hartford are probably the only other towns in the whole state that has so much going for them with a lot to offer. I LOVE New Haven and it is one of my favorite cities in the whole country if I am being honest. Amazing Pizza and Indian Food, and very good historic sites. The city gets better every year. However, Fairfield is my hometown and it has a very special place in my heart. Now I am going to finally mention a special thing to me about Fairfield that I haven't talked about at all on here in the past. Not trying to get into religion or anything here, but as a strong Christian who is very involved in missions, there is a very big non-denominational church in Fairfield with a huge missions base that is considered headquarters for many missionaries. (Please no religion debates, if you are non-religious, please discard this comment about Fairfield). I myself have been very involved in that missions base for so many years. Anyway other than that, Fairfield does offer great beaches as well, and while New Haven has a great urban feeling, I feel Fairfield has some of both. Thee southern part around Route 1 has a great downtown with lots of shops and restaurants and then the northern part is more rural. There is also a very nice and upscale restaurant that has great meat, grill, and Italian dishes that I believe is somewhere around Tunix Hills area, but I forget what its called. I went there a couple times with a few friends in the past. Sorry New Haven, I've helped you get to the Final 4, but I'm afraid it is over for you now.

Milford vs Old Saybrook: This is also a somewhat hard one for me as well. Milford has some nice beaches and as I said in the other fixture, also a lot to offer especially with shopping and food. I will always appreciate our 4th of July beach and BBQ days we spend here every year, and the town definitely has a special place in my heart. However, Old Saybrook really is the more upscale town and I feel that while Old Saybrook might not have quite as much to offer as Milford, it definitely has a lot to offer as well, and the things about Old Saybrook are a lot more special. Old Saybrook really has the best beaches in the state hands down. The whole coast is very sandy and nice, as well as Fenwick peninsula especially. The Town Center is just gorgeous as well. I also love Old Saybrook food as well. You won't find many chain restaurants like you will in Milford, but nice one location restaurants beat the chain ones overall anyway. It is one of those towns with the true coastal feeling of CT and I believe it was rated as one of the top 10 beaches in CT a few years ago. I also love the scenery in where the CT River dumps into the Ocean, and The Preserve Forest that leads into Essex is amazing to walk up through as well. Love the trails. My family very often rents a house near the beach for 2 weeks of a great family reunion. Always great times! Not to mention, Old Saybrook has a few great ice cream places as well!!!

Old 05-22-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

Milford vs Old Saybrook - also easy, OS is lovely, and Fenwick is beautiful, but the coast is a little one note and it’s not my favorite downtown in that area. Milford has a more varied coast with very distinct neighborhoods, more sandy public beaches, and a prettier downtown area with a combo of New England charm, harbor, duck ponds, waterfalls, the green. Milford has more parks too, more hiking spots (Mondo Pond, Eisenhower Park, etc), more food options, 2 breweries. And the beauty is apparent here: https://discovermilfordct.com/gallery/

What Really? Old Saybrook's downtown is extremely charming and gorgeous. I have heard about the waterfalls and duck ponds in Milford but they are not in the downtown area though, are they? Where are the waterfalls in Milford by the way? I've been really curious as to where they are. I mean I guess the prettiness and charm always depends on what you are looking for so maybe that's why you prefer Milford, but I'm quite surprised that you don't see the charm in downtown OS. Milford does have more parks, but have you ever hiked the trails in The Preserve in Old Saybrook? A few of them lead up to Essex. Very scenic hiking trails in the woods. I'll give you that the OS coast is one note, and maybe Milford beaches have more variety, but I think most OS beaches are more sandy. I've been to Woodmont, Walnut, and Wildermere Beaches in Milford, but are there any other ones that I am not aware of? Walnut is where we usually have our 4th of July celebrations, and that is definitely a nice beach, although I still prefer a few of the ones in OS. Wildermere is a private beach that is extremely narrow and not that nice. It's alright. Woodmont is also a nice beach as well, although I've only been once or twice. I think there are also a few tiny beaches in between as well, but they are very small though, never been other than driving past them.

Don't get me wrong, both towns are great, and honestly I can understand why you and some people do prefer Milford, but I am just a little stunned that you don't see the charm and all the scenery that Downtown OS has to offer. Milord might have more green in other parts of the town, but I'd think OS downtown has more green than Milford's downtown.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:01 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
What Really? Old Saybrook's downtown is extremely charming and gorgeous. I have heard about the waterfalls and duck ponds in Milford but they are not in the downtown area though, are they? Where are the waterfalls in Milford by the way?
Yeah, OS downtown is OK but ranks pretty low compared to many others for me. I would put Milford, Branford, Guilford, Madison, Essex, Chester, Litchfield, Bethel, and many others ahead of it. I guess it’s just a bit generic. Nothing special. Have spent plenty of time there. The little theater is a bonus.

Yes, the waterfalls are downtown. There’s 4. The duck ponds are just north of downtown and on the north end of downtown.

As far as beaches, other than about 6 private ones, there’s Oyster River, Woodmont, Anchor Beach, Gulf Beach, Fort Trumbull, Silver Sands, Walnut Beach, and the Audubon Center at Milford Point. More info: https://discovermilfordct.com/things...hes-and-parks/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut