U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2020, 11:40 AM
 
Location: The Stub
2,118 posts, read 686,725 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Oh My Word, New Canaan has caught up with Bridgeport and they are tied now. Can't say it is surprising but just how the tables have turned in the past day is incredible.

One thing that does surprise me though is that Monroe is currently beating Startford.

And OMG Andover has caught up with Hebron as well. Tables keep turning here and there. Hebron was literally crushing Andover in the first few days.

Tough Battle between Oxford and Beacon Falls.

Putnam vs Brooklyn is tied as well.
The first two bullets aren't surprising. #1 was an underdog/sympathy vote. #2 while Stratford is coastal its got some real shabby areas.
Oxford and Beacon Falls are nearly identical twins. Maybe a little more money in Oxford.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2020, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
1,262 posts, read 881,876 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
The first two bullets aren't surprising. #1 was an underdog/sympathy vote. #2 while Stratford is coastal its got some real shabby areas.
Oxford and Beacon Falls are nearly identical twins. Maybe a little more money in Oxford.
You are right number 1 is not surprising in general, just when one town leads a lot, and another comes back by many votes, that's a little unexpected, but if I am being generally honest, Bridgeport is doing a lot better than I ever expected against New Canaan in the first place.

I do agree that Stratford is not nearly as nice as many of the other coastal towns and does have some rundown areas but its not just the coast. Stratford is one of the most convenient towns in the state with many amenities close by. You can find most of what you need there and if not, Milford is right next door which is like the amenity king of the state, LOL. However, one thing is that Stratford is quite densely populated compared to most of the surrounding towns so maybe that is a reason as well. Also while most of the surrounding towns other than Bridgeport have at least a few parts that are rural, Stratford really doesn't. It is almost all suburban or urban feeling in Stratford. I think the main thing though is that Monroe was never a town that really impressed me. It's a nice town but nothing that particular or special about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2020, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Fairfield
658 posts, read 249,918 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
You are right number 1 is not surprising in general, just when one town leads a lot, and another comes back by many votes, that's a little unexpected, but if I am being generally honest, Bridgeport is doing a lot better than I ever expected against New Canaan in the first place.

I do agree that Stratford is not nearly as nice as many of the other coastal towns and does have some rundown areas but its not just the coast. Stratford is one of the most convenient towns in the state with many amenities close by. You can find most of what you need there and if not, Milford is right next door which is like the amenity king of the state, LOL. However, one thing is that Stratford is quite densely populated compared to most of the surrounding towns so maybe that is a reason as well. Also while most of the surrounding towns other than Bridgeport have at least a few parts that are rural, Stratford really doesn't. It is almost all suburban or urban feeling in Stratford. I think the main thing though is that Monroe was never a town that really impressed me. It's a nice town but nothing that particular or special about it.
Being one of the Monroe voters I'll just say that I don't really see Stratford as having a distinct identity (I know it was a "first settlement" town which usually are the more proud ones, but this is an exceptoin). Because of its long and narrow shape and the fact that's in bewtween BPT and Milford (and NH to a lesser extent) it's just a very CT suburb town. Meanwhile Monroe is a nice inland town with the top of the Pequonock valley rail trail and the home of the Annabelle doll
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2020, 01:27 PM
 
Location: NoVA/SoFLO
18,581 posts, read 25,425,475 times
Reputation: 6897
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
The first two bullets aren't surprising. #1 was an underdog/sympathy vote. #2 while Stratford is coastal its got some real shabby areas.
Oxford and Beacon Falls are nearly identical twins. Maybe a little more money in Oxford.
Oxford and Beacon Falls couldn’t be more different. Beacon Falls is an old mill town with a downtown filled with old manufacturing buildings, most of which were converted to businesses and apartments. Oxford is a former farming community turned bedroom community for points south.

Oxford is also quite a bit more affluent. According to census.gov, Oxford’s median HH income was $106k with a median home value of 388k. Beacon Falls was 86k with 274k, respectively. Big difference.

Oxford’s “twin” would me more along the lines of Southbury.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2020, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
18,228 posts, read 21,869,853 times
Reputation: 5484
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Being one of the Monroe voters I'll just say that I don't really see Stratford as having a distinct identity (I know it was a "first settlement" town which usually are the more proud ones, but this is an exceptoin). Because of its long and narrow shape and the fact that's in bewtween BPT and Milford (and NH to a lesser extent) it's just a very CT suburb town. Meanwhile Monroe is a nice inland town with the top of the Pequonock valley rail trail and the home of the Annabelle doll
Stratford is a mixed bag, but Paradise Green has more character than any part of Monroe IMO.

Stratford does have some ugly sections. I appreciate it for waterfront dining, Two Roads, being the birthplace of Gaetano's (the best deli in the state), and the Paradise Green section.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2020, 03:34 PM
 
Location: The Stub
2,118 posts, read 686,725 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
You are right number 1 is not surprising in general, just when one town leads a lot, and another comes back by many votes, that's a little unexpected, but if I am being generally honest, Bridgeport is doing a lot better than I ever expected against New Canaan in the first place.

I do agree that Stratford is not nearly as nice as many of the other coastal towns and does have some rundown areas but its not just the coast. Stratford is one of the most convenient towns in the state with many amenities close by. You can find most of what you need there and if not, Milford is right next door which is like the amenity king of the state, LOL. However, one thing is that Stratford is quite densely populated compared to most of the surrounding towns so maybe that is a reason as well. Also while most of the surrounding towns other than Bridgeport have at least a few parts that are rural, Stratford really doesn't. It is almost all suburban or urban feeling in Stratford. I think the main thing though is that Monroe was never a town that really impressed me. It's a nice town but nothing that particular or special about it.
I went Stratford for coast and the qualities Stylo talked about. I agree on Monroe, it's just there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2020, 03:35 PM
 
Location: The Stub
2,118 posts, read 686,725 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Oxford and Beacon Falls couldn’t be more different. Beacon Falls is an old mill town with a downtown filled with old manufacturing buildings, most of which were converted to businesses and apartments. Oxford is a former farming community turned bedroom community for points south.

Oxford is also quite a bit more affluent. According to census.gov, Oxford’s median HH income was $106k with a median home value of 388k. Beacon Falls was 86k with 274k, respectively. Big difference.

Oxford’s “twin” would me more along the lines of Southbury.
Works for me
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2020, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
29,590 posts, read 46,563,289 times
Reputation: 9158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Stratford is a mixed bag, but Paradise Green has more character than any part of Monroe IMO.

Stratford does have some ugly sections. I appreciate it for waterfront dining, Two Roads, being the birthplace of Gaetano's (the best deli in the state), and the Paradise Green section.
I was going to say that too. Also Lordship is pretty nice too. Jay
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2020, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
8,023 posts, read 5,302,943 times
Reputation: 3256
Fairfield County

Note: Westport, New Fairfield, Trumbull, Darien, Greenwich, Fairfield, Stamford, Wilton, and Ridgefield will start in Round 2.

Stratford vs Monroe. Tough for me to pick one neighbor over the other. 111 & 25 are way better than route 1 so Monroe over Stratford

Brookfield vs Sherman.

Bethel vs Redding. Dowtown vs. scenic beauty. I went with the downtown option here but I'm sure I won't stick to that. Tough to pick.

Shelton vs Norwalk. Shelton's our neighbor, lol

New Canaan vs Bridgeport. I agree with DannyK here. This maybe a surprising pick, but I'd take Black Rock over any part of New Canaan and I don't have to deal with the snobs.

Weston vs Danbury. I like Weston, it just needs more amenities. Danbury has gotta be one of the better "cities" in the state.

Newtown vs Easton. Sorry Easton! I think Newtown will be up there with the usual suspects: Fairfield, Guilford, Madison, Avon & Farmington at the end.


New Haven County

Note: New Haven, Branford, Guilford, Madison, and Milford will start in Round 2.

Ansonia vs North Branford

Wolcott vs Naugatuck

Waterbury vs Middlebury. Yes I'll take Middlebury. At least I can drive downtown without much hassle.

Cheshire vs Woodbridge

Southbury vs Seymour

Oxford vs Beacon Falls

East Haven vs West Haven

North Haven vs Hamden

Meriden vs Wallingford. I know Guilford & Madison are waiting down the road but Wallingford is my New Haven County pick.

Prospect vs Bethany

Orange vs Derby


Hartford County

Note: Glastonbury, Avon, and Farmington will start in Round 2.

Hartford vs Plainville. See Middlebury. Not only can I drive in downtown Plainville I can also stay in Plainville past 8 PM and not have it be a ghost town like Hartford is.

South Windsor vs Enfield

Rocky Hill vs Bristol

West Hartford vs Windsor Locks

Marlborough vs Canton

Wethersfield vs Bloomfield

Hartland vs Berlin

Burlington vs East Windsor

East Hartford vs Manchester

Simsbury vs Suffield

Granby vs New Britain

East Granby vs Newington

Southington vs Windsor


Middlesex County

Note: Old Saybrook will start in Round 2.

Deep River vs East Haddam

Middlefield vs Durham

Middletown vs Clinton. This was a tough pick. If my sister was voting she'd probably pick Clinton for Clinton crossing alone, but that does nothing for me, so Middletown gets it.

Essex vs Westbrook

East Hampton vs Chester

Portland vs Haddam

Cromwell vs Killingworth


New London County

Note: Montville, Stonington, Old Lyme, New London, Groton, Lebanon, Waterford, Griswold, Lyme, Colchester, and East Lyme will start in Round 2.

Ledyard vs Norwich

North Stonington vs Salem

Lisbon vs Voluntown

Preston vs Bozrah

Sprague vs Franklin


Litchfield County

Note: Kent, Litchfield, Washington, New Milford, Woodbury, and Watertown will start in Round 2.

Salisbury vs Sharon

New Hartford vs Canaan

Torrington vs Plymouth

Harwinton vs Goshen

Cornwall vs Barkhamsted

Norfolk vs Thomaston

Colebrook vs Morris. Don't remember either of these from prior editions, and have never heard of them either so here goes nothing....Morris

Bethlehem vs Winchester

Bridgewater vs North Canaan. It's got almost nothing amenities wise, but 133 through the town is a great drive!

Roxbury vs Warren


Tolland County

Note: Columbia, Coventry, and Ellington will start in Round 2.

Stafford vs Tolland

Bolton vs Mansfield. With this cast of towns in Tolland county, Mansfield is a solid favorite to make it out of the county.

Willington vs Vernon

Hebron vs Andover

Somers vs Union


Windham County

Note: Killingly will start in Round 2.

Woodstock vs Eastford

Thompson vs Hampton

Sterling vs Plainfield

Putnam vs Brooklyn

Windham vs Ashford. Willimantic Brewing Company!!

Pomfret vs Scotland

Canterbury vs Chaplin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2020, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
1,262 posts, read 881,876 times
Reputation: 489
WELCOME BACK 7express!!!! I was wondering where you've been. You were always one of the top fans of this tournament, so glad you are back! I still wonder where the following people are: beersigood02, basehead617, and RunD1987. They were also top fans of this as well. I hope they'll come and vote soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Sorry Easton! I think Newtown will be up there with the usual suspects: Fairfield, Guilford, Madison, Avon & Farmington at the end.
Don't forget Old Saybrook, East Lyme, and Stonington! Old Saybrook has made the final 4 twice, and if you want my honest opinion, I actually fancy Old Saybrook to be champion this time. I was looking at the past tournament results, and in 2018 Old Saybrook only lost the semis and third place by 1 vote, and the semis was against Madison.

I'd like to see East Lyme make the final 4 as well. I have doubts that East Lyme is as popular of a town on here as Old Saybrook, but I hope it goes far. Madison, Guilford, and Old Saybrook will really be tough for East Lyme to get past though. Just by looking at previous results, East Lyme will win the coastal voters against Avon, Farmington, and possibly Fairfield as well because Fairfield beaches are not nearly as beautiful as the east ones, but when it comes to Guilford, Madison, and Old Saybrook, they are all on the eastern part with beautiful coastlines, and I have a hard time seeing East Lyme taking enough of those coastline voters against those 3 towns. I don't fancy the Hartford suburbs voters to go for East Lyme if they face any of those 3 towns either because of just the greenery Guilford especially has to offer. I hope I am wrong, but we will see! OMG this is going to be so interesting. When you really think about it in this way it can be impossible to project a winner. My early prediction is Old Saybrook.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Bolton vs Mansfield. With this cast of towns in Tolland county, Mansfield is a solid favorite to make it out of the county.
Interesting opinion here. I am curious why you fancy Mansfield to make it out of the county? I don't really know much about that town which is why I ask. I've driven through it briefly a few times but don't remember a lot about it. I am having a lot of trouble projecting the winners for Tolland and Windham county. I feel those counties, honestly any town could win them. I don't really see a special town in either of those counties that would dominate the rest. Maybe Tolland, Willington, or Hebron for Tolland county? Just bold guesses.

For Windham county, maybe Pomfret? Killingly? No idea.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top