Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 12:20 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
I always hate when people say this. They think because it's west of New Haven it's all polluted and stuff... Anywhere in the Sound you go if the water is turbid that's because of the rivers (NOT pollution) and algae. It means the fishing is fantastic!

Addtionally Penfield Reef has some wicked clear water from the sound because it is very far from the rivers (visibilty 6ft +).

Also a factor that a local like me would notice is that Jennings and Penfield face east instead of south and, because the coastline faces more east west of NH you can see the sun rise over the water... I truly believe Reef Point at sunrise on a good day is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Case in point:
https://i.imgur.com/YvCpxtT.jpg
I agree. East Lyme has nice beaches but I don’t find them particularly superior to Fairfield. Fairfield, Milford, and West Haven have some of the best beaches in the state all west of New Haven.

Here’s the latest water quality grading:

https://ecoreportcard.org/report-car...-island-sound/

Old 04-09-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
All those towns make sense except Stonington. Now I do not see Stonington winning this. However I do believe Stonington could make top 4, even though it wouldn't be my projected pick. Knocked out Farmington and Greenwich in the past tournaments. Very active coastal town with the part of the Mystic Seaport around. It is a really nice town. I do not predict Stonington to go all the way to top 4, but it is a town very capable of doing so, and it wouldn't surprise me.
You’re not touching on Stonington Borough which is one of the most beautiful walkable historic areas in the state. There’s really nothing else like it.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha830 View Post
I need more then just "beautiful and rural" to vote for a town, if there are things I like about the other town, and I like what Canton offers. I find myself there often. Marlborough's a nice place, but drew a tough first round opponent.

The biggest head scratcher for me in this Norfolk over Thomaston, Thomaston is a great town with a lot of character. But that's why I like this tournament.
Norfolk has a pretty charming center.

I’m still surprised Chester isn’t getting more love. East Hampton is pretty and all. I just assume most that have voted haven’t been to Chester center. Such a lovely hidden gem.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:42 PM

2,175 posts, read 1,639,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You’re not touching on Stonington Borough which is one of the most beautiful walkable historic areas in the state. There’s really nothing else like it.
Oh yeah I forgot about that actually. Stonington will go far, I am sure. Just not sure how far exactly.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:43 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I agree. East Lyme has nice beaches but I don’t find them particularly superior to Fairfield. Fairfield, Milford, and West Haven have some of the best beaches in the state all west of New Haven.

Here’s the latest water quality grading:

https://ecoreportcard.org/report-car...-island-sound/
Nah, I'm with Dan K. Coasts anywhere are beautiful just by nature alone, but eastern CT is hands down nicer than west of New Haven. It just has a more summer vacation vibe. YMMV

Old 04-09-2020, 01:24 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha830 View Post
The biggest head scratcher for me in this Norfolk over Thomaston, Thomaston is a great town with a lot of character. But that's why I like this tournament.

I live in Thomaston. I think it is the best town in the state (that's why I live here). Norfolk has Infinity Hall and that's about it. It is much more rural and quiet than Thomaston, though, and it seems some people like that.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:26 AM

Deadline for Round 1 is today at 8:00pm!

Marlborough vs Canton
Granby vs New Britain
Torrington vs Plymouth

These 3 fixtures are currently ties. @SteveM85, can I possibly get votes from you on the first 2 fixtures I listed here? I believe you already did the third one, but I don't think you voted that first 2 though.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:19 AM

24 posts, read 17,744 times
New Haven County

Ansonia vs North Branford

Wolcott vs Naugatuck

Waterbury vs Middlebury

Cheshire vs Woodbridge

Southbury vs Seymour

Oxford vs Beacon Falls

Prospect vs Bethany

Orange vs Derby

Middlesex County

Essex vs Westbrook

Old 04-10-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthboundBob View Post
New Haven County

Ansonia vs North Branford

Wolcott vs Naugatuck

Waterbury vs Middlebury

Cheshire vs Woodbridge

Southbury vs Seymour

Oxford vs Beacon Falls

Prospect vs Bethany

Orange vs Derby

Middlesex County

Essex vs Westbrook
Just checking, are these the only fixtures you know and want to vote for? Just seems a little odd to me that you would only vote for those fixtures, so I just want to check if you deleted many of them by accident.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:52 PM

These fixtures are all tied:

Oxford vs Beacon Falls
Marlborough vs Canton
Granby vs New Britain
Torrington vs Plymouth

Hopefully we can break the tiebreakers ASAP. I will also do a recount to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut