Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 07:17 PM

512 posts, read 351,565 times

Advertisements

This story is nuts! I was near Derby today when they surrounded Osbornedale State Park, thinking they would be able to capture the suspect. He got away, car was found on the NJ/PA line. This won’t end well.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...derby/2276507/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 07:58 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
I suspect he'll kill himself.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:56 PM

25 posts, read 13,240 times
I'm curious - possibly he planned a mass shooting but couldn't because of COVID? With so many restrictions on gatherings, I'm thinking this may have been a back up plan, like he couldn't wait any longer. I don't know, his behaviors are similar, just one by one

Also, he did not kill that woman, only men, and supposedly he knew the third victim. I agree he will die by suicide - he's not concerned about witnesses.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:04 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I know someone that knew him. His apartment at The Oaks in Storrs Center had all these crazy things written on the walls like “I’m not angry, I’m upset”, “We saw what happened when Adam snapped, We saw what happened when Thomas snapped. Now they’ll see what happens when I snap” and “It’s just so crazy it might work”. His former roommates say d he was definitely off the wall. It’s scary that this happened. Ja

Old 05-24-2020, 10:22 PM

25 posts, read 13,240 times
I agree - it is scary. From Newtown, UConn student - on paper, he's your average CT kid with a promising future. We need to pay attention - but this is a tricky one. I'm curious -and I do not place blame - but how did he go unnoticed? How do most go unnoticed? And, off the wall or not, his poor roommates, I hope they do not feel guilty. No one in their right mind would ever think his anger and sadness would lead to murder. It is so sad for everyone involved.

ETA - generally speaking, unnoticed, pay attention - I can't understand how we miss the signs, but also, I would not recognize signs that suggest murder. I would think - he needs help.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:39 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I know someone that knew him. His apartment at The Oaks in Storrs Center had all these crazy things written on the walls like “I’m not angry, I’m upset”, “We saw what happened when Adam snapped, We saw what happened when Thomas snapped. Now they’ll see what happens when I snap” and “It’s just so crazy it might work”. His former roommates say d he was definitely off the wall. It’s scary that this happened. Ja
Thanks for the post, Jay. Such an unbelievable situation. How can someone hold it together to go thru engineering school and then snap like that? The new photos put out of him have him looking so ordinary, not scary-looking at all. I suspect he won’t let himself be taken alive. I’m out of state, but following - has his family made any statements?

Let’s all hope no one else is injured or killed.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Thanks for the post, Jay. Such an unbelievable situation. How can someone hold it together to go thru engineering school and then snap like that? The new photos put out of him have him looking so ordinary, not scary-looking at all. I suspect he won’t let himself be taken alive. I’m out of state, but following - has his family made any statements?

Let’s all hope no one else is injured or killed.
I wish I could show you the photo of his walls that I saw. I don’t think it’s appropriate to show them on here but they were fill with statements and things like I posted. Just hundreds of little and big notes and rants on at least two walls of the apartment.

The thing that is really scary to me is that this guy was not the only kid with issues. The person that showed me this had a roommate in an apartment with issues too. The roommate felt someone was out to kill him. He apparently had an issue last year in Washington DC. A couple weeks before the quarantine, he got a call, likely a robocall, from DC and that set him off. He made rambling calls and said crazy things to his roommates. The UConn Police were called to the apartment daily. The roommates were scared so they avoided him and locked their bedrooms doors at night. The one I know left and went home for several days during the height of this guy’s rants and commuted to Storrs fr his classes. Spring break and the quarantine kept him home and away from this kid. I’m not sure what happened to him.

My point is this is not necessarily an isolated case. Hopefully they will catch this guy before he kille anyone else. Jay

Old 05-25-2020, 09:21 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Such an unbelievable situation. How can someone hold it together to go thru engineering school and then snap like that? The new photos put out of him have him looking so ordinary, not scary-looking at all.
Schizophrenia tends to start when one is a young adult. Go watch the movie "A Beautiful Mind". John Nash is going to Princeton and he writes a paper on "Governing Dynamics" which earns him the Nobel Peace Price years later. He had Schizophrenia when he was in graduate school and wrote the paper. He was not diagnosed with Schizophrenia until after when he was married.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:39 AM

Apparently the Derby killing was also a kidnapping. A girl was taken and dropped off in Patterson, New Jersey. Scary. Jay

https://patch.com/connecticut/staffo...ington-slaying

Old 05-25-2020, 12:52 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,129 times
He's from Newtown. He has a sticker under his license plate that says "Sandy Hook tribute victim #26". There were 26 people killed at Sandy Hook. So maybe his goal was/is to kill 25 people, then himself? It's sounding more and more like a copycat crime 8 years after the fact. I also heard his sister was going to Sandy Hook when the shooting occurred and he lived next door to Adam Lanza. Sounds like a kid who was scarred by Sandy Hook who must have had other mental health issues. Maybe the anxiety and confinement of the virus exacerbated it? I agree with the above poster that if this was a Sandy Hook "tribute" there may be some silver lining: he's not likely to kill 26 people before he's caught and he would have almost definitely gone into a school and attempted a shooting if schools were not closed right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut