Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 06:56 AM

512 posts, read 352,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Mostly your last sentence. it just doesn’t make sense for order folks to be living in Hartford- it’s not even the demographic that they’re trying to attract. I think there are a lot of small uncomfortable nuisance things that I wouldn’t want to deal with later in life without some of the more obvious benefits of a NYC or Boston.
I agree it is not the demographic they are trying to attract. However, I live in an upscale building in Hartford and there are plenty of older people here. There are a lot more younger retirees (think late 60s, not late 80s) than I would have anticipated. Not having to drive everywhere, having no yard to take care of, and being in an amenity rich building go a long way with that crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 07:35 AM

506 posts, read 477,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
I agree it is not the demographic they are trying to attract. However, I live in an upscale building in Hartford and there are plenty of older people here. There are a lot more younger retirees (think late 60s, not late 80s) than I would have anticipated. Not having to drive everywhere, having no yard to take care of, and being in an amenity rich building go a long way with that crowd.
Not to mention possibly being within walking distance to some of the best hospitals in the country.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:02 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
My thing is the Hartford area is so compact..when I was an undergrad my drives felt so short so often 10-15 minutes. And the area is bucolic, and straightforward. Outside of rush out traffic is super light. I just took the lens that driving around the Hartford area is actually pretty pleasant.i was also thinking I don’t see many elderly folks walking who don’t have to. What with delivery for any and everything now.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:03 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
It is encouraging to see the tone around Hartford has changed in recent years. That’s exciting.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:16 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I would personally stick to the New Haven area if you want better rail access.

East of New Haven, Branford, Guilford, and Madison are amazing options. Each has an excellent downtown area and tons of natural beauty and charm. These towns are more quiet compared to towns west of New Haven. But you still have easy access to New Haven for all the myriad cultural and dining amenities (best city in CT for such things), and access to some wonderful areas on the shoreline and lower CT River Valley.

West of New Haven, Milford is an excellent option that ticks a lot of boxes. Easy frequent direct NYC train access and not far from the Amtrak station in New Haven. I find it a pretty convenient drive to Boston too, as you can either take 95 or 15 to 91. I usually get to Boston in 2 hours by car. There’s an abundance of condos in their price range, a great walkable downtown, tons of community activities and events. It’s busier, but a vibrant coastal community with New England charm with tons of parks. Taxes are relatively low and stable as a bonus. There’s good info here.

In the Hartford area, West Hartford would be a good fit. It has a vibrant downtown, excellent Elizabeth Park, and proximity to Hartford for more culture. Taxes are high, though. I’d also throw Middletown in the mix as schools won’t be a concern. It’s nicely situated between Hartford and New Haven and is very affordable, with a great Main Street lined with dining and shops.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:20 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
I’m not sure about Hartford, but New Haven has been attracting a lot of Boomers with their new construction luxury apartment complexes. There’s so much to do nearby, that you get many of the amenities of a big city but in a compact, less busy, more livable area.

Old 08-25-2020, 01:10 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
Not to mention possibly being within walking distance to some of the best hospitals in the country.
They would also be within walking distance of three award winning live theaters, three live music venues, a minor league baseball stadium, a professional soccer stadium, the country’s oldest art museum, a really great science museum, the state’s largest convention center, movie theaters and a large array of some of the best restaurants in the state. They would be in the middle of the region’s largest transportation hub with access to buses, trains and an international airport. I’m not sure what Boston or New York has over that other than a larger selection of these. You also have many times the number of people fighting to patronize them too. Nice you don’t have to wait an hour or more on a weeknight at a mediocre restaurant. Can’t say that in New York or Boston. Jay

Old 08-25-2020, 05:31 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
I have been meaning to reply for a while now, but wanted to formulate a well updated, better research and formulated answer. I have also been enjoying the coversation flow.

However just a quick little update.
The most important factors are definietely Walkability, Proximity to good restaurants/shoppes in local style/town center layout (Not like Ruby Tuesdays, Chilis and Olive Garden in a sprawl setup). Rail would in fact be a bonus, but honestly, Boston is not too far of a drive away. Neither is NYC or family in CT. Boston would be visited 4-5x more than NYC, so thats why preference was prefered over NYC. Boston is by far their favorite city.

Hartford area seems to fit the bill. Really walkable core. We are looking at some of these areas i will show below:
1. 06114: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...32171939_zpid/ (Not that particular nit, but that exact area) Looks like its on the brink of major redevelopment, great great prices, really walkable.
2. 06105: Looks like a ncie area just West of Hartford. Closer to West Hartford and Hartford's downtown amenities for sure.
3. Manchester, CT
4. Newington, CT
5. New Britian, CT

Other CT Cities that were of interest:
1. Branford, CT
2. Guilford, CT
3. Danbury, CT

Old 08-25-2020, 07:14 PM

464 posts, read 312,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
They would also be within walking distance of three award winning live theaters, three live music venues, a minor league baseball stadium, a professional soccer stadium, the country’s oldest art museum, a really great science museum, the state’s largest convention center, movie theaters and a large array of some of the best restaurants in the state. They would be in the middle of the region’s largest transportation hub with access to buses, trains and an international airport. I’m not sure what Boston or New York has over that other than a larger selection of these. You also have many times the number of people fighting to patronize them too. Nice you don’t have to wait an hour or more on a weeknight at a mediocre restaurant. Can’t say that in New York or Boston. Jay
You had me until the last 4 sentences of this paragraph

Old 08-25-2020, 09:20 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
You had me until the last 4 sentences of this paragraph
Why? Does Boston and New York have something that is needed every day that Hartford does not have? Sure they have larger and better theaters, professional sports and world class museums but those aren’t your every day needs and could be patronized with day or weekend trips. In fact, most people in greater Hartford do not even go to Boston or New York at all. Still it’s nice to know they are there if you want. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut