Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 07:10 PM

30 posts, read 158,261 times

Advertisements

Hi.. We are moving to the Storrs/Mansfield/Tolland County area from TX. We go to look for a house in a couple of weeks. I'm really confused by the info out there on schools because I've heard great and not so great things about Mansfield, and Coventry. It seems like all have good schools but which are best.

Anyone know about what towns have good resale values?

How isolated are people in the towns of Coventry and Ashford and Tolland?

We are used to suburban/subdivision lifestyles and we have two little kids so we're hoping to find some area there that is close to UConn and also allows us a chance to get to know other young families.

Also, anyone have tips for fun family activities with kids in the 3-5 age range? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 04:49 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
nspa

firstly welcome to Tolland county- you have made a smart decision!

I believe Tolland & Mansfield have higher test scores then Coventry- this is not to say that Coventry has lackluster schools.

Resale values in these towns has been good- until the recent real estate decline- which is hitting almost the entire state. Housing inventories have increased, sales have slowed and prices have come down. Real estate in Connecticut over the long term has been an excellent economic decision- in the north east prices may rise breathtakingly rapidly, but also may fall quickly- so we seem to go through extreme boom and bust cycles regarding prices, compared to Texas. In any case housing both single family homes and condos in many areas of the state nearly doubled in value from 2000-2006.

The reason for this is scarcity of land that can be developed for residential housing, high local incomes, proximity to the ocean, New York and Boston, and very restrictive zoning. If anything the concept of 'sustainable growth' is followed here.

The positives this time around we did not overbuild homes and condo's and there was limited speculation- so declines here while they may reach 15-20 in some towns, we will not be burned as badly as other places.

I would not call people in the towns you mentioned 'isolated' these towns are semi rural, and within a half hour of huge shopping and retail in Manchester and 40 minutes to Hartford.

Eastern Connecticut, and the rest of Connecticut has few subdivisions of homes. Any that exist are usually quite small. You will not see endless sprawl here of cookie cutter housing subdivisions with strip mall commercial development. Zoning here is very strict-limiting subdivision growth and commercial development in most towns in order to preserve the peace & quiet of local residents, maintain the high quality of life, limit traffic congestion & maintain the integrity of local town history and preservation of the environment. This kind of 'lifestyle' and 'geographic locus' reality will be the biggest adjustment for you compared to Texas.

UCONN and the town of Mansfield- as well as the other towns have Park departments and programs for kids of all ages. There are many newcomers groups in these towns, gardening clubs, outdoor clubs- not to mention historical societies, athletic clubs- Men and Womens basketball at UCONN- a real passion here- plus some excellent wineries and restaurants in eastern CT- plus fine beaches on the states shoreline are great for family fun in the warm months.

Last edited by skytrekker; 05-03-2008 at 05:25 AM..

Old 05-03-2008, 05:18 AM

28 posts, read 105,166 times
We are moving there from Georgia this summer, too and have young children. My husband went there a few weeks ago looking for homes and a job. DM me and I will tell you what he found. It is a great area!!!!

Old 05-03-2008, 06:44 AM

30 posts, read 158,261 times
Thanks guys... skytrekker your response was super helpful. we are thrilled to be leaving TX even though people are nice here... New England is much more our speed. Can't wait to check it all out and thanks for the reassurance about the isolation, that has been my only concern. Cheers

Old 05-03-2008, 07:55 AM

28 posts, read 105,166 times
When my husband was there looking for a house he mentioned the same thing as Skytrekker said- that there are very very few neighborhoods. Houses seem to have more character than the rapidly growing states... We were surprised at how many old houses there are. People seem to remodel over and over vs. tearing down like they do here. We are a little nervous about the prospect of buying a home built 50 or 60 years ago....

Old 05-08-2008, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,496 times
We are being relocated from North Coventry CT to San Diego CA. Our house is going on the market within couple of days. It is a nice contemporary colonial only 9 years old. It is located in Rolling Woods development (Woodmont Dr.), large circle with no outlet. Virtually no traffic. Safe for kids. Only 20-25 minutes from Hartford via either 44/384 or 84. Coventry grammar schools are very good, for high school I would recommend to bring your kids yourself to AO Smiths on the grounds of UConn, only 10 minutes from my house. You need to convince them that your child is gifted, since this school has very high standards. Tolland and Mansfield are more expensive (house pricing vise) and North Coventry is more desirable than rest of the town. I can walk to the Tolland line from my House. My house development borders a community Laidlaw park with a soccer field and is right next to a very fine public golf course.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:35 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,898 times
Edwin O. Smith High School, which is in Storrs. E.O. Smith is a Regional High School, which means in that the students must be from the towns of Storrs-Mansfield, Willington, or Ashford. The only way a Coventry resident can attend the high school is if he/she participates in the agricultural program.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:03 PM

639 posts, read 2,710,416 times
Not always true. I went to Windham High School with a kid from Hampton. His parents paid almost $6,000 a year each for him and his brother. They did not want to go to Parish Hill, I don't blame them!

Old 05-10-2008, 12:33 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Not always true. I went to Windham High School with a kid from Hampton. His parents paid almost $6,000 a year each for him and his brother. They did not want to go to Parish Hill, I don't blame them!
This is true for any district. If you are willing to pay, you can attend any school you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut